follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #15
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'd just warn blindly valuating bulbs as to how much "better" they are just by light output power.
Worth remembering that along seeing better yourself there is bit of not blinding oncoming traffic.
Many stock lights are "worse"/"weak" subjectively because they are made to legal requirements/standards by specific light output and beam shape.
Seeing way too often on highways cheap-modded reusing stock reflectors not fit for specific bulb type or too powerful bulbs fitted. Makes me wish to especially blind them in turn with high beams or give scare to themselves of head-on crash by weering to their lane. Good if country specific MOT inspection won't pass such, but in many countries inspection might be too lax.

This used to be a problem but nowadays most cars have a halogen projector, so better than sticking bulbs into reflectors.

At least in the US, the trend is leaning towards big SUVs/Crossovers and with the 86 being as low as it is, it shouldn't be a problem blinding people.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
D4S BRZ

Drives: 2013 D4S BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A good source to use for which bulbs have decent cutoffs and outputs is bulbfacts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D4S BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #17
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'd just warn blindly valuating bulbs as to how much "better" they are just by light output power.
Worth remembering that along seeing better yourself there is bit of not blinding oncoming traffic.
Many stock lights are "worse"/"weak" subjectively because they are made to legal requirements/standards by specific light output and beam shape.
Seeing way too often on highways cheap-modded reusing stock reflectors not fit for specific bulb type or too powerful bulbs fitted. Makes me wish to especially blind them in turn with high beams or give scare to themselves of head-on crash by weering to their lane. Good if country specific MOT inspection won't pass such, but in many countries inspection might be too lax.
Nothing is being changed as far as shape and position of the illuminated area from the stock projector housing... Diode dynamics designed the LEDs to mimic the filament envelope of the halogen bulbs so the light source is emminating very much from the same point as the halogen filament. You just get a noticeably brighter and smoother, more filled in area of lighting and white, not an off-yellow tinged color. Stock low beams are pretty much useless at highway speeds... high beams work much better but not good for oncoming traffic.

Last edited by Vracer111; 02-13-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #18
tarzan_nojane

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Got a pair of Philips 12361 H9 bulbs as a simple way to get more output for less than $10. H9 has a 65w (nominal) filament optimized for maximum luminance and flux at the expense of shorter lifespan. The H11 has a 55w (nominal) filament optimized for long life at the expense of lower luminance and flux. One of the 3 tabs on the bulb base must be trimmed to allow them to fit. Been running mine for 9 months now, including a half dozen overnight cross-country 400+ mile trips.

Just tried the H11 LED Headlight Bulbs H8 H9 Low Beam Pure White Bright Fog Light Conversion Kit 40W 9800Lm 6000K that were on special at Amazon for $20/pair. Pretty awful, with a dark vertical bar in the center of the beam.
tarzan_nojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_nojane View Post
Just tried the H11 LED Headlight Bulbs H8 H9 Low Beam Pure White Bright Fog Light Conversion Kit 40W 9800Lm 6000K that were on special at Amazon for $20/pair. Pretty awful, with a dark vertical bar in the center of the beam.
Interesting. I've been running these LEDs from Amazon for about 18 months with no issue, pretty happy with them.

I also have the high beams of the same set, but if you run them you'll probably want to turn off the DRLs as they won't run a half power. I haven't done that, but do turn on the headlights earlier than I normally would to prevent blinding folks at night.

Both provide much improved lighting and no lines, or blinding oncoming traffic.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #20
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
When it comes to stock headlights, no offense but they are crap. IMO, its not worth opening them up, etc., and trying to get fancy. Just buy an HID kit. I bought morimoto ones a few years ago for $150 and they are phenomenal. High end brand and very reliable. Light output is great. I am actually kinda selling them now...I upgraded to actual LED Morimoto headlights which are so nice. If interested, I can sell you my old morimoto HIDs for $70, but you would have to pay shipping of course. They are just sitting in my garage. Completely plug and play. No wiring or splicing. Good HID kits like this come with everything and all you need to do is run the wires and plug things in.

When it comes to lighting, you get what you pay for. There is a reason my morimoto headlights come with a 5 year warranty and many other aftermarket headlights come with a 1-2 year warranty at most. I would recommend staying away from aftermarket bulbs and cheap LEDs as they wont do much in terms of performance and will probably be crap. Amazon and Ebay are generally not your friend when it comes to lighting. Everyone likes to say they bought such and such on Ebay or whatever for cheap...but talk to me after 5 years when the parts are still working and not broken. $20 bulbs on Ebay that you have to replace every 1-2 years gets expensive. I know from experience. Your best bet is to buy an actual HID or LED kit from a reputable seller; both of which will cost you 100-150 new.

*Edit. I see in your post you said morimoto swap is not great light output. Not sure what you are referring to but I can tell you that both the Morimoto HID kits ($150) added to stock headlights and the actual replacement morimoto LED headlights (~$800) have excellent light output.

Last edited by mrhayes1; 02-14-2020 at 05:27 PM.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote