follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Odd one out; my 2nd test drive

I'm starting a new thread so I don't continue to highjack NWIguys' thread. To read my 1st test drive stream-of-conciousness review, -->Click Here<--

Well guys, as promised, I went and drove my BRZ a 2nd time before making a final decision. Forum member eikond met me at my dealership to take a look at the car and talk about our experiences thus far. He's a very nice guy and I wish him luck in picking up his BRZ in the next week or so.

No pictures this time around, I was very focused on getting to the bottom of the driving experience.

First of all, the car is very easy to drive. Among all the cars I've driven, this one is definitely one of the easiest to get behind the wheel and be familiar with rather quickly. A big contributing factor is undoubtedly the controls inherent familiarity. The clutch is easy, the steering is accurate, the throttle is definitive, the ergonomics are spot-on, the shifter is precise, and the brakes feel solid and confidence inspiring. There isn't anything the car does wrong from a controls perspective.

The view from the drivers seat is interesting. You have a commanding view in front of you, but the fenders are just slightly there poking up very petite so you know exactly where the tires are. Strangely to me, however, is the cowl is also rather visible, which breaks up any visual flow that may have occurred between the Instrument Panel and the fender perkies. It's just a quirk, nothing distracting per se. Visibility on either side is excellent, and the mirrors are very good too. The C-pillar is chunky, but between the top-shelf side visibility and mirrors, it's a non-issue in traffic.

This drive I was very careful with my route selection. I needed to get a solid feel of how the car was on the interstate, as that's my daily drive, but also with some known corners and ramps that I can directly analyze and compare with other cars. Luckily, the general manager was indifferent to my presence and let me take the car out myself. This is good, no distractions this time!

Accelerating down the on-ramp, the car moves along well enough, but the sound from the engine doesn't portray any additional sense of occasion compared to low RPM cruising. The engine's power is modest, there isn't any significant thrust; the car must be driven in anger [i.e. right foot flat] to extract anything resembling its best effort. At Interstate speeds [70 MPH], part throttle in this engine amounts to simply more noise, not necessarily more speed. Downshifting to 3rd seems mandatory to actually get out of the way. The engine does its best work in the first two gears; aero and gearing team up at higher speeds and don't suffer the engine lightly.

With known curves and ramps, with the car turning close to the limit, it has a keen desire to turn in; there's no sign of slip angle below the limit. That said, take the corner slower and easier and the suspension feels indifferent and aloof, as if the corner isn't important enough for it to pay attention. This slightly wobbly feeling also rears its head in Interstate lane-changes, where the chassis feels like it's floating rather than being tied down. Keeping the car in the lane isn't nearly as straightforward as at lower speeds, as the steering now feels a bit vague whereas at slower surface-street speeds it feels positive and direct. These are on concrete roads that lack tramline-inducing contours, for what it's worth. I did get one opportunity to get some ass-out action. This was in a low-speed left-hander. The car rotated precisely, I gave it a bit more steering flick and stayed on the throttle and the car pivoted on itself and gave me exactly as much slip-angle as I was expecting. The only snag in this experience was the steering weighted up and got a bit numb, instead of having a strong self-oppostie-lock like a car with sufficient caster.

Overall, I think this car is a few steps away from being truly great. The foundation is there, it just needs some work. I've decided to pass on this opportunity and await future offerings, whether they be OEM or aftermarket. Give this car a set of lungs so it sings, more engine torque to balance how much cornering power it has, and a good suspension revision to bolt the chassis to the pavement and take the wobble out of it, and the car will be fantastic. The vibe I get from this car is one "my first real sports car", where the car offers legitimate thrills and driver-centric responsibility in a package that is both clean-slate and affordable. I do think the car will be a success, and I hope to participate further in the future.

Regards and Cheers,
Ryan

P.S. my pre-order WRB Limited 6MT is up for grabs at Hodges in Ferndale, MI if anyone is interested. I promise I drove it responsibly and dynamically according to a proper break-in, and wouldn't hesitate it upon anyone. One snag; the dashboard left woofer is either not screwed down correctly or is blown from the factory. Even with FM radio at minor levels it was obvious there is a problem. That'll have to be sorted and hopefully the dealership [whom I made aware of the problem] will be responsive.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-25-2012), Bristecom (05-25-2012), bucket (05-25-2012), Chenslee (05-25-2012), chulooz (05-25-2012), cmspooner (05-25-2012), Dimman (05-25-2012), Dr.Science (05-25-2012), Exhaust (05-26-2012), F1point4 (05-25-2012), Fly Guy (05-25-2012), Gaiakai (05-25-2012), Giccin (05-25-2012), grst1 (05-25-2012), Guff (05-24-2012), jdrxb9 (05-25-2012), kwood9000 (05-24-2012), Lighting Red (05-25-2012), ngabdala (05-25-2012), Rampage (05-25-2012), rcm47 (05-25-2012), Smudgeous (05-25-2012), Sonex51 (05-25-2012), thill (05-25-2012), WingsofWar (05-25-2012), WRXGuy1 (05-25-2012), Xlr8 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks SO much for the review. This is the best review I've heard to date. Someone that really wanted to get this car but went into it making decisions on fact rather than getting carried away with emotions and purchasing.

I will keep this in mind when I get my test drive. It's nice to know these things. If I find that my observations are the same as yours then you will have saved me $30k. And, if not, you've given me an idea of what to look for to see if I have the same experience and if I don't I would buy it.

Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I'm starting a new thread so I don't continue to highjack NWIguys' thread. To read my 1st test drive stream-of-conciousness review, -->Click Here<--

Well guys, as promised, I went and drove my BRZ a 2nd time before making a final decision. Forum member eikond met me at my dealership to take a look at the car and talk about our experiences thus far. He's a very nice guy and I wish him luck in picking up his BRZ in the next week or so.

No pictures this time around, I was very focused on getting to the bottom of the driving experience.

First of all, the car is very easy to drive. Among all the cars I've driven, this one is definitely one of the easiest to get behind the wheel and be familiar with rather quickly. A big contributing factor is undoubtedly the controls inherent familiarity. The clutch is easy, the steering is accurate, the throttle is definitive, the ergonomics are spot-on, the shifter is precise, and the brakes feel solid and confidence inspiring. There isn't anything the car does wrong from a controls perspective.

The view from the drivers seat is interesting. You have a commanding view in front of you, but the fenders are just slightly there poking up very petite so you know exactly where the tires are. Strangely to me, however, is the cowl is also rather visible, which breaks up any visual flow that may have occurred between the Instrument Panel and the fender perkies. It's just a quirk, nothing distracting per se. Visibility on either side is excellent, and the mirrors are very good too. The C-pillar is chunky, but between the top-shelf side visibility and mirrors, it's a non-issue in traffic.

This drive I was very careful with my route selection. I needed to get a solid feel of how the car was on the interstate, as that's my daily drive, but also with some known corners and ramps that I can directly analyze and compare with other cars. Luckily, the general manager was indifferent to my presence and let me take the car out myself. This is good, no distractions this time!

Accelerating down the on-ramp, the car moves along well enough, but the sound from the engine doesn't portray any additional sense of occasion compared to low RPM cruising. The engine's power is modest, there isn't any significant thrust; the car must be driven in anger [i.e. right foot flat] to extract anything resembling its best effort. At Interstate speeds [70 MPH], part throttle in this engine amounts to simply more noise, not necessarily more speed. Downshifting to 3rd seems mandatory to actually get out of the way. The engine does its best work in the first two gears; aero and gearing team up at higher speeds and don't suffer the engine lightly.

With known curves and ramps, with the car turning close to the limit, it has a keen desire to turn in; there's no sign of slip angle below the limit. That said, take the corner slower and easier and the suspension feels indifferent and aloof, as if the corner isn't important enough for it to pay attention. This slightly wobbly feeling also rears its head in Interstate lane-changes, where the chassis feels like it's floating rather than being tied down. Keeping the car in the lane isn't nearly as straightforward as at lower speeds, as the steering now feels a bit vague whereas at slower surface-street speeds it feels positive and direct. These are on concrete roads that lack tramline-inducing contours, for what it's worth. I did get one opportunity to get some ass-out action. This was in a low-speed left-hander. The car rotated precisely, I gave it a bit more steering flick and stayed on the throttle and the car pivoted on itself and gave me exactly as much slip-angle as I was expecting. The only snag in this experience was the steering weighted up and got a bit numb, instead of having a strong self-oppostie-lock like a car with sufficient caster.

Overall, I think this car is a few steps away from being truly great. The foundation is there, it just needs some work. I've decided to pass on this opportunity and await future offerings, whether they be OEM or aftermarket. Give this car a set of lungs so it sings, more engine torque to balance how much cornering power it has, and a good suspension revision to bolt the chassis to the pavement and take the wobble out of it, and the car will be fantastic. The vibe I get from this car is one "my first real sports car", where the car offers legitimate thrills and driver-centric responsibility in a package that is both clean-slate and affordable. I do think the car will be a success, and I hope to participate further in the future.

Regards and Cheers,
Ryan

P.S. my pre-order WRB Limited 6MT is up for grabs at Hodges in Ferndale, MI if anyone is interested. I promise I drove it responsibly and dynamically according to a proper break-in, and wouldn't hesitate it upon anyone. One snag; the dashboard left woofer is either not screwed down correctly or is blown from the factory. Even with FM radio at minor levels it was obvious there is a problem. That'll have to be sorted and hopefully the dealership [whom I made aware of the problem] will be responsive.