follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have no clue how the FR-S comes remotely close to comparing to the 335i.

335i is a 55K+ car and a the FR-S is a 30K car CDN.

If I had the budget, I would gladly take a 335i.

Euro parts are expensive as hell, FYI. However, the power gain is more achiveable in the 335i.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
just buy a used spec miata for the track and buy a 330 for the street. then you have the best of both worlds without any compromises
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The post seems borderline trollish to me. He says he cares about light weight, but then doesn't mind the 800 pound weight difference between the FRS or the 335i? Not to mention this guy is balling so hard he doesn't care about maintenance on a 600 horsepower out of warranty 335i track vehicle? Let me tell you if you don't mind the maintenance on that might as well just get a GTR.

Also if you are taking the car to the track, don't you care about a little thing called a limited slip differential?
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
deedz

Drives: Rocket Bunny FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
The post seems borderline trollish to me. He says he cares about light weight, but then doesn't mind the 800 pound weight difference between the FRS or the 335i? Not to mention this guy is balling so hard he doesn't care about maintenance on a 600 horsepower out of warranty 335i track vehicle? Let me tell you if you don't mind the maintenance on that might as well just get a GTR.

Also if you are taking the car to the track, don't you care about a little thing called a limited slip differential?
Why would I be trying to troll? I'm just comparing two cars im interested in. I intend to turn this car into a project car over the next several years. I also intend to do maintenance myself to save money so no, im
Not ballin so hard. I'm just lookin for a car that I
Can achieve good power in the future as I continue to hone my tracking ability. I obviously do care about the weight difference but i was comparing more power vs less weight. I'd intend to install a quailfe LSD on the 335i IF I were to get one. If anything seems like you came to troll so run along and troll elsewhere

Thanks alot for the input guys. Hopefully the frs comes out with inexpensive turbo builds to reach my longrun future power goals.
deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
DrDuquette

Drives: 2013 Premium White, 2006 TL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Neither. Buy a beater with a good motor. Like miata. Set it up for the track. Then spend the rest of your money on track day entry, TIRES, helmet, etc etc. Then take driving classes and get one on one training!!!
DrDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedzman View Post
Why would I be trying to troll? I'm just comparing two cars im interested in. I intend to turn this car into a project car over the next several years. I also intend to do maintenance myself to save money so no, im
Not ballin so hard. I'm just lookin for a car that I
Can achieve good power in the future as I continue to hone my tracking ability. I obviously do care about the weight difference but i was comparing more power vs less weight. I'd intend to install a quailfe LSD on the 335i IF I were to get one. If anything seems like you came to troll so run along and troll elsewhere

Thanks alot for the input guys. Hopefully the frs comes out with inexpensive turbo builds to reach my longrun future power goals.
Didn't mean to offend you but it is surprising to find someone cross shopping these cars. Modern BMWs in general aren't great "project cars". Too heavy, too many electronics, too many over engineered hard to find expensive German parts, etc. I think you are glossing over the maintenance costs a little too much if you plan to seriously track a 600 HP modified 335i project car.

I recommend talking to people who do it (if you can find anyone) to get a sense of the costs, because I have a feeling you will be floored. Tires alone go quickly on 3600 pound cars regardless of make or model.

In my opinion, if you want to build a track car, don't start with a heavy, overweight expensive to maintain luxury cruiser like a BMW 335i.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post

Agreed lol # 1 reason why i sold my GT-R , 2.5k for a brake job and 1.5k tranny oil changes.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDuquette View Post
Neither. Buy a beater with a good motor. Like miata. Set it up for the track. Then spend the rest of your money on track day entry, TIRES, helmet, etc etc. Then take driving classes and get one on one training!!!
Any car can be put on the track, even a Yugo.

Learn how to drive.

Driving is where it is at, not the mods.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:
DrDuquette (06-22-2012), SirBrass (01-28-2014)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
I own a 335i and id never want to track it. beside dealing with Limp mode and high heat issues from the turbo, the consumables on the bmw are expensive. new brakes/rotors, oil changes and other maintanence get pricey. plus eventually you would end up swapping the entire suspension for m3 parts so it keeps adding up. the frs is a way better base to start tracking. keep the 335i as a daily driver as its meant to be.
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
phillip

Drives: 2011 135i
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To the OP: I'd suggest looking at a 135 as well. Same engine as 335, but more similar to the BRZ (lighter package, 2 doors, etc). The only thing in the suspension that really needs attention would be swapping out the bushings for M3 ones, which is only a couple hundred dollars in parts (of course, this all depends if you get a sport package). I assume you've already found a car though, but if I were you I'd try to get a N54 motor instead of N55 (assuming the high pressure fuel pump issue has been fixed) because while they are basically the same, the N54 has a much bigger aftermarket currently. I expect the N55 will, but that'll probably be a couple years down the road before it's at the same level.

I'd say what it comes down to for the OP is this:
1) Modifying: it will be easier with the BMW (platform has been out for a long time, much more potential) but more expensive. For example, the JB4 will give you 60 extra HP and 80ftlb stock and also give you a bunch of maps for when you get upgrades for a relatively low price of ~$600.
2) Daily Driving: Honestly I've never driven a BRZ, but I'd give it the advantage in cargo space to a 135 (can't attest to 335, but I'd imagine the BRZ loses on that front). The BRZ will get better mileage (around 30 vs around 24 mi/g). I can't attest to how fun the BRZ is to drive (reportedly: a ton), but I love driving my car. I did get all the packages/options, so it's easier to compare to a BRZ. If you aren't getting any, then you miss out on stuff like nav, push start, etc.
3) Tracking: You say you haven't done much but want to get into it. I'm sure either car would be a blast to track, and one may be better than the other on shorter/longer tracks, so it seems like a push to me.

All in all, I feel that car ownership comes down to fun. Which do you think would be more fun to track? How about daily driving? At which point would it be worth it to sacrifice one for the other (i.e. how often do you think you will actually take it to the track)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
I own a 335i and id never want to track it. beside dealing with Limp mode and high heat issues from the turbo, the consumables on the bmw are expensive. new brakes/rotors, oil changes and other maintanence get pricey. plus eventually you would end up swapping the entire suspension for m3 parts so it keeps adding up. the frs is a way better base to start tracking. keep the 335i as a daily driver as its meant to be.
Well if he's getting one used, I'd assume it's CPO with extended service/warranty, which means he pays for nothing but tires/gas. Nobody wants to track with the runflats or the stock BRZ tires, so he'd need some new ones either way and the prices should be similar.
phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phillip For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (01-27-2014)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
termigni

Drives: S2000
hmmm... do i want an apple or an orange?
termigni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Having owned 2 BMW 335i's (both N54) and tracked 1 of them lightly modified I'd say tough choice. The N54 335i was a brilliant car for the money. Limp mode/high heat issues are fixable in fact I got BMW to put an auxiliary oil cooler for free and no issues.

More track use, I'd say BRZ once the aftermarket catches up. More street use, I'd say tough choice do you want a Sports Car or a GT?
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
One important part is the cost differences once you own the car. I expect the FRS/BRZ to be much cheaper overall to own and abuse than a BMW.
Max Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Alphaghost

Drives: Current: 01 is300 and 08 Crv
For starters and personal experience(shouldve listened to my dad)....1st and foremost you dont want your play toy to also serve as daily driver, things malfunction, need to get back and forth to work. That being said, if you want to do it keep the lexus for dd 200k is nothing, buy 335i if not worried about maintence, but if you need a car for double duty....for sure go frs/brz much cheaper to maintain