follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #43
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
@Brody602 is right.This is not an open invitation to the whole world sorry. I am only doing it at this cheap rate because he is driving the right sort of car haha and realistically it sounds like a bit of a mission for him to get to anywhere else that is close to his location to have it done. I am not really making much out of it, more of a favour than anything. I will use the LEDs that I already have detailed in my post. No changes, no special orders. They are red and not a perfect match, but @nzer is the fussy type so if they were that bad he would of decked me by now haha. Vast improvement of green that's for sure. @Brody602 let me know when you have the unit disassembled and the 2 boards removed and I will PM you my address.
Alright, it won't be for a little while yet, probably 2 months by the time I get the unit to my door, and I may possibly order white LED's and ship them with it, since I'm quite fussy myself, but I may not. And I took a look at your DIY, if I understand correctly, I need to unsolder the mic? Can't really tell in the picture, but should resoldering that be fairly simple? Or would it be nearly as tough as the LED's?

I checked roughly how much shipping would cost roughly 10$ for shipping with no tracking, I'm not too concerned it's a pretty rare occurrence for mail to disappear.

And you are correct, it's a mission to have precise work done in my area, i called a bunch of electronics repair places in the biggest city in the area which is 350kms away, and they all pretty much said they wouldn't touch it.

Another good example is when I go FI, the nearest place to get a decent tune is about 750kms away aswell. The joys of living in Northern Ontario.

@Tech you honestly have no idea how much this means to me and how much I appreciate it.

Million thanks!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
No problem. Yes the mic wires are on large pads and can easily be unsoldered with a standard iron. If you supply your own LEDs then that's fine too just make sure they are the correct size.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #45
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
With the T7019A can we still use the factory usb port to connect our phones to the radio? Since it uses the oem wiring harness?

Also, I think I read that the mic isn't that great, would it be worth soldering a whole new one in? If so can you provide a link to one that would do the job?

Is there any other bugs, or things that dont work with the T7019A unit? Don't feel like reading 25+ pages of posts ;P
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #46
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
With the T7019A can we still use the factory usb port to connect our phones to the radio? Since it uses the oem wiring harness?
Is there any other bugs, or things that dont work with the T7019A unit? Don't feel like reading 25+ pages of posts ;P
Factory USB: Because Kiwis get a different stock headunit, we don't get the factory USB/AUX plugs. Hopefully someone else can answer that. There is a thread that talks about replacing the connector - they might be in a better position to answer. (Sorry, don't know which one off the top of my head, you'll have to use the search function)

Bugs: Unfortunately yes. I have found workarounds for most of the big ones preventing apps from installing/running, and have even started incorporating permanent solutions into a re-cooked ROM. The main ones left that I can think of are
  • not able to hear Android audio unless you run the stock video/music player in the background
  • contacts/media sorting issues
  • need an extra bluetooth adapter to get Torque working

But this is really starting to get off-topic for this thread - post any follow up questions on the other thread. I would also recommend reading the last 5-odd pages (43+) of that thread - that's where things start delving into the software issues.

Back on topic - I'm now a card-carrying member of the 600nm+ club. My LEDs are 630nm. Still a smidge too red I think, but not enough to do anything about. @Trap63 - yours were 625, right? How do yours compare? Too red or orange?
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (08-04-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #47
Pacific

Drives: 5 Celica since 1978.Now a GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mine are 630nm and 160mcd at 20ma. The color is exactly the same that the other on the dash.

Regarding audio, no trouble, I can listen my music, mp3 on an usb stick, with PowerAmp without the help of the stock player. When I am with TomTom, the sound diseappears to allow the tomtom advices and revert.
I am waiting a hub to connect the music stick using the original port with the help of the adaptator harness, the wifi key delivered with the head unit and the bluetooth for torque.
For your guidance, wifi is funtionning when connected on the front usb although music is read though the original port.
Unfortunately it appears that bluetooth is not read with this but it could depend of the key. To date I cannot pears same with the ELM327. I'm waiting a new key.This occured also with a TNT key for using SDR, well functionning with the rear usb but not in front usb together with rear in use. I will pursue my try.
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacific For This Useful Post:
Tech (08-03-2013), Trap63 (06-15-2014)
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #48
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
Mine are 630nm and 160mcd at 20ma. The color is exactly the same that the other on the dash.

Regarding audio, no trouble, I can listen my music, mp3 on an usb stick, with PowerAmp without the help of the stock player. When I am with TomTom, the sound diseappears to allow the tomtom advices and revert.
I am waiting a hub to connect the music stick using the original port with the help of the adaptator harness, the wifi key delivered with the head unit and the bluetooth for torque.
For your guidance, wifi is funtionning when connected on the front usb although music is read though the original port.
Unfortunately it appears that bluetooth is not read with this but it could depend of the key. To date I cannot pears same with the ELM327. I'm waiting a new key.This occured also with a TNT key for using SDR, well functionning with the rear usb but not in front usb together with rear in use. I will pursue my try.
How do you find power amp? I quite liked it but reverted to the stock music player as the skip track forward button on bottom right of the screen I found a bit too small when driving.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #49
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Well I am smiling from ear to ear. Hell I don't even own one of these units, but after taking the plunge and doing this LED swap for @nzer, I am really loving the pictures you guys are putting up of your finished units!

There is something that is quietly warming when I do this kind of thing and then see others follow suit. Makes the effort all worthwhile for me. If there is anyone else who has used my DIY (or planing to) and not yet posted the results, PLEASE, PLEASE post a picture.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tech For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (08-03-2013), nzer (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
The only thing keeping me from from buying this is confirmation that torque will work via USB. I know Bluetooth works but using a slower mobile connection for something that is a permanent install doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone confirm? Really nice work on the LED change!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #51
Pacific

Drives: 5 Celica since 1978.Now a GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@nzer
It is not necessary to touch the track buttons, only move the album cover from on side or the other to change the track and up or down to change the album. I only use the read button to start playing. I like PowerAmp as it keep in memory the album and the track when you stop it. I think it is not the case with stock music player. The egaliser is really awesome as it is possible to obtain a very good sound with the stock equipment (medium and tweeter on dash, medium on doors and tweeters rear)I also tried Winamp which I use daily on my computer but I was really dashed and do not retained my attention. @pixel67
I dont believe that the unit can read Torque with USB as the soft is only intended to be used with Bluetooth connection.
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #52
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
I know the parrot system can do torque over usb. Didn't know if this rooted would do it though...

Old 08-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
@nzer
It is not necessary to touch the track buttons, only move the album cover from on side or the other to change the track and up or down to change the album. I only use the read button to start playing. I like PowerAmp as it keep in memory the album and the track when you stop it. I think it is not the case with stock music player. The egaliser is really awesome as it is possible to obtain a very good sound with the stock equipment (medium and tweeter on dash, medium on doors and tweeters rear)I also tried Winamp which I use daily on my computer but I was really dashed and do not retained my attention. @pixel67
I dont believe that the unit can read Torque with USB as the soft is only intended to be used with Bluetooth connection.
Thanks. I didn't realise you could skip track by swiping the album. I like that it has album art whereas the stock one doesn't.

The stock music player DOES remember track and playlist/directory and starts where it was up to. The original Toyota OEM unit here doesn't but the android unit does.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #54
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
The only thing keeping me from from buying this is confirmation that torque will work via USB. I know Bluetooth works but using a slower mobile connection for something that is a permanent install doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone confirm? Really nice work on the LED change!

Can't try for you sorry as don't have a USB ELM327. I use the HKS OB-LINK and the carscope app over Bluetooth. No real delay I can sense but the OB-LINK is pretty good kit that you pay a lot for compared to an ELM327.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
Factory USB: Because Kiwis get a different stock headunit, we don't get the factory USB/AUX plugs. Hopefully someone else can answer that. There is a thread that talks about replacing the connector - they might be in a better position to answer. (Sorry, don't know which one off the top of my head, you'll have to use the search function)

Bugs: Unfortunately yes. I have found workarounds for most of the big ones preventing apps from installing/running, and have even started incorporating permanent solutions into a re-cooked ROM. The main ones left that I can think of are
  • not able to hear Android audio unless you run the stock video/music player in the background
  • contacts/media sorting issues
  • need an extra bluetooth adapter to get Torque working

But this is really starting to get off-topic for this thread - post any follow up questions on the other thread. I would also recommend reading the last 5-odd pages (43+) of that thread - that's where things start delving into the software issues.

Back on topic - I'm now a card-carrying member of the 600nm+ club. My LEDs are 630nm. Still a smidge too red I think, but not enough to do anything about. @Trap63 - yours were 625, right? How do yours compare? Too red or orange?
so, This is my swap!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375720974.894514.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  132.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375720990.165959.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  144.0 KB

Sent by iPhone with Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
so, This is my swap!Attachment 46839Attachment 46840

Sent by iPhone with Tapatalk
Nice. Well done.

No scary moments during soldering where you thought - "damn, hope that still works"?