follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota’s chief tester? The boss

content deleted

Last edited by Axel; 03-21-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's pretty positive that the CEO is into his own product as much as he is. I wish other automakers (Honda) would start doing that. However, I also agree with the analysts that if he's giving his input and they're building these cars based on his likes and dislikes, it won't turn out well for us, the consumer. Also, in reference to the second analyst who said you need professional test drivers from that prospective target market, I'm sure Toyota uses those test drivers and won't base everything that goes into a vehicle solely from the opinion of Toyoda.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It can only spell good things for the FT-86, that I'm sure of.

As long as a car nut is behind its production, then you better believe its production performance goals (light-weight, nimble, reactive, etc.) will be met as best as humanly possible.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
It's pretty positive that the CEO is into his own product as much as he is. I wish other automakers (Honda) would start doing that. However, I also agree with the analysts that if he's giving his input and they're building these cars based on his likes and dislikes, it won't turn out well for us, the consumer. Also, in reference to the second analyst who said you need professional test drivers from that prospective target market, I'm sure Toyota uses those test drivers and won't base everything that goes into a vehicle solely from the opinion of Toyoda.

He reminds me a lot of Dr. Ulrich(?) Bez, the CEO of Aston Martin. I like his approach. I only hope that when his time is over, the company does not move away from this approach.

Honda's current CEO is a total tool. Sochirro much be rolling in his grave.

The "Analysts" are a bunch of ass-hats. Toyota has many test drivers, as well as developmental test drivers, and project managers. Toyoda's input will only be one of many, but if anything, it will help give Toyota's cars a distinct character, like BMW, Lotus or Ferrari has, rather than say Infiniti which tries to imitate BMW or Hyundai which emulates infiniti. If it's not good, the automotive press and the consumer will not approve and they will adjust, it won't be the end of the world. They will do better. Kaizen.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
It can only spell good things for the FT-86, that I'm sure of.

As long as a car nut is behind its production, then you better believe its production performance goals (light-weight, nimble, reactive, etc.) will be met as best as humanly possible.
Absolutely agree with that, but a car nut CEO also has to be aware and consider the practical business concerns. It's one thing to build a money-losing LF-A as a halo car which helps the image of any sporty cars in the Lexus/Toyota range, but if he decides to build a whole buncha money-losing sporty cars throughout the range, it could spell disaster. Hopefully, the FT-86 will be both an awesome sports car for us enthusiasts, as well as a commercial success for Toyota.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
Absolutely agree with that, but a car nut CEO also has to be aware and consider the practical business concerns. It's one thing to build a money-losing LF-A as a halo car which helps the image of any sporty cars in the Lexus/Toyota range, but if he decides to build a whole buncha money-losing sporty cars throughout the range, it could spell disaster. Hopefully, the FT-86 will be both an awesome sports car for us enthusiasts, as well as a commercial success for Toyota.

The LFA serves a much bigger purpose than a chest thumping, halo car exercise. Furthermore, it was in development for like 6-10 years, it was not as if Toyoda came in and started the project from scratch.

Because of the LFA we will one day see CF in main stream Toyota cars. We will see Toyota sports cars with better balance and driving feel.

The things the engineers learned, the processed developed and the equipment used will be for a better Toyota.

I fail to understand how people can't see that Toyota does things with a goal in mind. Sure they misstep every now and again, but generally, they nail it (at least on the business and manufacturing end of things).
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
The LFA serves a much bigger purpose than a chest thumping, halo car exercise. Furthermore, it was in development for like 6-10 years, it was not as if Toyoda came in and started the project from scratch.

Because of the LFA we will one day see CF in main stream Toyota cars. We will see Toyota sports cars with better balance and driving feel.

The things the engineers learned, the processed developed and the equipment used will be for a better Toyota.

I fail to understand how people can't see that Toyota does things with a goal in mind. Sure they misstep every now and again, but generally, they nail it (at least on the business and manufacturing end of things).
Right here, this this and this.

The more quality sports cars Toyota makes, and subsequently are put into race stages around the world, the more performance feedback Toyota can get to adapt for their everyday production cars. This isn't anything new to Toyota or any other auto-maker around the world.

You're talking about the company that made practically the first mass-produced, at a fair price range, L4 DOHC EFI sport engine, that delivered on all fronts. It was reliable and economical, and at the same time, a very solid platform to build a race engine on. You know what engine I'm talking about.

Basically, Toyota is more than capable of making a car both a great race platform and a fun, reliable, everyday car.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Kenji

Drives: RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
In another article, Automotive News says Akio Toyodo is the first Toyota president to have gone to school in America and work here. It says he also has a reputation for challenging old-guard conservatism.

Both sound good to me!
That's awesome. That's exactly what a very traditional company like Toyota needs. Someone with a fresh view on things whose not afraid to change things up. That's exactly the essence of the FT-86 after so many years of boring cars.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote