follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #309
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't yet dug into the manual. Lay out your gauges to you can see the target and corresponding change gauges. Change angle must follow target angle.

In that screenshot they seem to be working ok.
I haven't, yet. I'm assuming it's a different manual from the FSM?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #310
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig85 View Post
I haven't, yet. I'm assuming it's a different manual from the FSM?
One and the same. Link's in my sig.

Next time you get a CEL, make note of all the codes.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #311
TheStig85

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't yet dug into the manual. Lay out your gauges to you can see the target and corresponding change gauges. Change angle must follow target angle.

In that screenshot they seem to be working ok.
I dug a little bit into the manuals but wasn't finding any corresponding values that they should follow.

I also spoke to a well known Tuner and he said to just go over the TSB again. Mostly with the shimming of the sensors, as he thinks that may be the issue.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #312
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I dug a little bit into the manuals but wasn't finding any corresponding values that they should follow.
Watch the video clip again. There's no specific value. You are watching the camshaft angle change in real time. One is the commanded angle and the other is the measured angle. The measured angle should quickly follow the commanded. That's all.

Quote:
I also spoke to a well known Tuner and he said to just go over the TSB again. Mostly with the shimming of the sensors, as he thinks that may be the issue.
I suspected the same because yours started working again after you cleared the codes. Probably your bank-1 exhaust is losing counts until it craps out. Wait for the codes to pop and then look them up in the manual/TSB
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #313
TheStig85

Garage
Quote:
Watch the video clip again. There's no specific value. You are watching the camshaft angle change in real time. One is the commanded angle and the other is the measured angle. The measured angle should quickly follow the commanded. That's all.

I suspected the same because yours started working again after you cleared the codes. Probably your bank-1 exhaust is losing counts until it craps out. Wait for the codes to pop and then look them up in the manual/TSB
Not going to pretend to know exactly what I'm doing, but since the P0016 is what I'm dealing with, should I replace both the Intake and Exhaust sensors for Bank 1? And/or should I buy the shim kit and see if that'll correct the problem?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #314
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Not going to pretend to know exactly what I'm doing, but since the P0016 is what I'm dealing with, should I replace both the Intake and Exhaust sensors for Bank 1? And/or should I buy the shim kit and see if that'll correct the problem?
Not enough info. Watch it working while it does so properly. Lay out your gauges so you can watch the important ones. It's safe to leave the obdlink installed. It shuts off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity on the CAN.

What happens leading up to the CEL? What are the codes?

P0016 is bank-1 intake. Look again at the first screenshot you posted. Bank-1 intake is fine. Bank-1 exhaust is jacked. The other side is just off/disabled.

Almost forgot to wrap up by saying that I'm no expert with this system. We're all learning here. Right now I think bank-1 exhaust sensor either needs shimmed or is failing in some other way.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #315
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Seems like a line graph would paint a clearer picture than dials. For example here is a log of my car showing target and actual.

https://datazap.me/u/ermax/log-15078...zoom=7794-9068

I generated this log with Techstream btw.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #316
ermax

Seems like a line graph would paint a clearer picture than dials. For example here is a log of my car showing target and actual.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #317
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

Can't watch a line graph real time. This is just to get a feel for shit before and when it goes south. Sample rate's way higher than the obdlink. Nice.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #318
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
CEL has continued to come on at least once a week lately. As of today it's been on for almost 24 hours straight and hasn't reset itself yet like usual.

I'm going to e-mail Subaru Canada, as this did not happen until after my P0018 repair last summer.

Will update with findings. Car acts normally with the CEL on but I'm getting sick and tired of it popping up every damn week.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #319
TheStig85

Garage
Quote:
Not enough info. Watch it working while it does so properly. Lay out your gauges so you can watch the important ones. It's safe to leave the obdlink installed. It shuts off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity on the CAN.

What happens leading up to the CEL? What are the codes?

P0016 is bank-1 intake. Look again at the first screenshot you posted. Bank-1 intake is fine. Bank-1 exhaust is jacked. The other side is just off/disabled.

Almost forgot to wrap up by saying that I'm no expert with this system. We're all learning here. Right now I think bank-1 exhaust sensor either needs shimmed or is failing in some other way.
Typically if I clear the code, it just comes back in 2-3 cycles. Always P0016. Nothing else. Aside from car going into lump mode, it runs fine.

I cleared codes and monitored the VVT values. Everything looked like it was following the Target values. Was, also, monitoring as the CEL kicked in and I noticed all the guages just stopped displaying values. So maybe that one time I saw 'some' values with the CEL present wasn't accurate.

As per TechStream... I had in installed but whenever I went to look at the Data List, the program would crash. Do you by chance have the program that I could install? If not, I'll try to contact the buyer again. Just difficult to communicate with them due to time zone (China).
The Following User Says Thank You to TheStig85 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #320
ermax

Quote:
Typically if I clear the code, it just comes back in 2-3 cycles. Always P0016. Nothing else. Aside from car going into lump mode, it runs fine.

I cleared codes and monitored the VVT values. Everything looked like it was following the Target values. Was, also, monitoring as the CEL kicked in and I noticed all the guages just stopped displaying values. So maybe that one time I saw 'some' values with the CEL present wasn't accurate.

As per TechStream... I had in installed but whenever I went to look at the Data List, the program would crash. Do you by chance have the program that I could install? If not, I'll try to contact the buyer again. Just difficult to communicate with them due to time zone (China).
Check your PM's.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #321
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
So maybe that one time I saw 'some' values with the CEL present wasn't accurate.
I was concerned about exactly this. The manual has a step-by-step flow chart that requires only techstream. Note the enabling conditions. Also, the Subie TSB does not mention shimming. There are different fault codes for that.

There is one other possibility that hasn't been discussed here. The manual does mention the VVT filters possibly being clogged. I doubt that is your issue but it's worth considering. When everything is working, (codes cleared) does your bank-1 intake seem to respond more slowly than the others?

Graphs of the logs like @ermax suggested would show this.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #322
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Dont know if we are talking about the same thing, but when my car had that same code and I went to get it diagnosed as soon as the CEL showed (2nd drive cycle, always), all of the target AND measured values dropped to 0. I think the ECU just stops trying to adjust the VTT angles when this code is present. Btw, my car didnt go into limp mode, I could rev it up to redline fine (in fact I did a time attack event with it on), but it was down on power significantly. Based on times I would say at the very least 30-40hp. (2 full seconds slower on a 1min power track).

Edit: I think this doesnt help you much. but what I wanted to get across is that all gauges stopping the reading might not be an error, but that they are indeed reading "0".
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-15-2018)