follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Obsidiank
10 Series Fanatic

Drives: Scion FR-S 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Obsidiank's 10 Series - Standard Build - Newbie's Guide

Hello, I think our cars are pretty special and the 10 series is just phenomenal. I've learned a lot over the past few months on this forum so I decided to put together a car journal. I'm likely never going to do anything performance related to the car but given how many threads I had to read through just to get some basic things done, best I put it all in one place for myself to reference and other "newbies".

START

Visit the DIY Section for a great collection of links for basic mods.

WeatherTech Floor Liners - Not everyone wants to drop $100 bucks on rubber floor mats but these things are so easy and look like they were made for the car. Oh wait, they were. Hose it down and save yourself from ever destroying your carpets. Garnish with some custom decal replacements from @Diode Dynamics.

Rubber Trunk Mat - Flip your OEM 10 Series Trunk mat over and you have a rubber trunk mat. Not good enough because it doesn't have a lip to catch spills? Go with the BRZ Trunk Mat and set yourself back $70.00. Got some cash to burn? Plop down for the WeatherTech custom liner for $130 after shipping. Really have cash to burn? Import the JDM luggage tray for $230 shipped.

Clear Side Markers - No one likes the ugly USDM orange side markers so get things kicked off by replacing those. Go with JDM Sidemarkers and expect to spend around $100. Go with Helix Replica's and spend $60 - $70. Pair this up with some amber leds and you're good to go.

LED Light Replacements - So many lights on this car and so many opportunities to get them swapped out for nicer, cooler, leds. I went with diode dynamics kit and stage 2 leds. Tons of other great vendors in the commercial classifieds section.

JDM Exhaust Tips - I really think the USDM got the shaft when it came time for exhaust tips. We got these dinky oval looking things that don't fit in the space and others get the fatter "86" round tips. Fix this egregious error by ordering yourself a set straight from Japan. If the conversion rate works in your favor, it would range anywhere from $130 - $160. Definitely worth the money.

Cellphone Mount - Don't get caught with you phone in your hand and a ticket from the popo. Money to burn? Go with ProClip. Need something [ame="http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO104-Windshield-Dashboard-Holder/dp/B0099RGRT8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373568100&sr=8-2&keywords=iottie"]cheap, easy, [/ame]and doesn't suction cup your window?

Armrest- So your arm is tired from constantly downshifting? Too bad our cars don't come with arm rests. Thank goodness you can now order the JDM one which requires a bit of drilling and is a bit pricey for $200. Alternatively, if you don't mind losing a cup holder you can go with this nice one . Finally, if you are ok with being a little different and in this case I think that's what I'm going to go with, I would try this beautiful half arm rest from @Ray@Carsmo

Antenna Replacement - I think everyone agrees that the standard antenna doesn't do the car justice. When thinking replacement you really have two choices, shorty or sharkfin. If shorty, then Perrin Shorty which at $30.00 bucks isn't a bad deal. If sharkfin, then you have a few more options at a few different price point. At the low end is the generic $65.00 one from china. In the midrange is the BeatSonic Sharkfin which is my personal choice. At the high end is the Modellista sexiness. I personally can justify dropping 2.5 bills on an antenna.

Custom Name Plate - The FRS has an rectangular space between the shift and the cup holders. This space on the BRZ is for the heated seats buttons but since the FRS doesn't have those, it's just a weird empty space. Perfect thing to add is a custom plaque and @yospeed is the man to do it for you. Fast shipping and custom logos for not a lot of change.

Backup Camera - FRS, I love you to death but boy do you have a large booty. On top of that, there is almost zero visibility out that tiny back windows of yours. That's why a backup camera is a definite need. Lots of options here but for ease I went with the beatsonic combo of license plate camera and direct plug and play harness. It's a little pricier than say a BOYO plus AE64.com harness but convenience comes at a price. Top notch stuff from @Beat-Sonic

Dash Camera - Dashcams haven't quite caught on in the states yet but I knew from day 1 I would put one in my camera. My main concern isn't accidents as much as it is bumper touch feel parallel parkers. Trust me, if I come back to my car and my front is dented because you can't parallel park, I will have your ass on camera. Turns out this was a great idea because not long after I installed my camera, I caught this FRS accident. I have a Blackvue DR500GW-HD with Power Magic Pro discharge kit and 32GB mem card. It costs around $360 shipped for everything from Amazon. There are a lot of cheaper options out there but I went with this kit for a few reasons.

1. First, the wifi is awesome for downloading videos straight to my phone.
2. Second, the cylindrical shape makes it really easy for me to mount it behind the rear view mirror and it's pretty inconspicuous.
3. With the latest firmware, the resolution is great and makes out license plates just fine. You can see that it was getting dark in the video and I actually have to blur out the license plate.
4. If you're interested in one, I would definitely check out http://dashcamtalk.com for more information and discussion. I would be careful with doing too much research because there are a ton of dash cam options all across the price spectrum and it's really easy to get into the, 'well my $80 best bang for buck dash cam has better video than your $300 one'. That's like saying a corolla is better than an Lexus because both cars can drive 75 miles/hr. Different price point, different features.
5. If you go on dashcam talk, you'll see a bunch of threads about bitrate and custom firmware needed to make this cam actually work well. I have the latest manufacturer firmware and as you can see the camera works great. The only thing I don't like is like most cameras, there is no circular polarizer on the lens so the exposure is going to keep changing as you go from dark to light. You can fix this by aiming it lower and have less sky in the frame.

Rear Diffuser - I think the rear diffuser really completes the styling of the FRS. It's a piece of plastic you need to mount to the bumper but totally worth it. Multiple sellers in the classifieds but one cheapest stands out. Yes, you could pay more to have the pattern match the rear plastic but no one is ever going to see or care.

I hope this information is helpful. Also check out my guide on how to wash your car. when you don't have access to a hose.

Last edited by Obsidiank; 08-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Obsidiank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Obsidiank For This Useful Post:
#944_10_Series_FRS (07-13-2013), Beat-Sonic (07-15-2013), Demandred7 (10-02-2013), Diode Dynamics (07-11-2013), Dustin2JZ (07-13-2013), FiRStsc10n (07-13-2013), JR007 (09-07-2013), mush (07-13-2013), nicertoy (07-15-2013), Ray@Carsmo (07-14-2013), sc10nFRS (07-13-2013), supra2nv (07-11-2013), torqdork (07-13-2013), toysub (08-29-2013), UNICRN (07-16-2013), VZ86 (07-15-2013), yospeed (07-16-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thank u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiank View Post
Hello, I think our cars are pretty special and the 10 series is just phenomenal. I've learned a lot over the past few months on this forum so I decided to put together a car journal. I'm likely never going to do anything performance related to the car but given how many threads I had to read through just to get some basic thing done, best I put it all in one place for myself to reference and other "newbies".

STARTERS -

2. Clear Side Markers - No one likes the ugly USDM orange side markers so get things kicked off by replacing those. Go with JDM Sidemarkers and expect to spend around $100. Go with Helix Replica's and spend $60 - $70. Pair this up with some amber leds and you're good to go.

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
sc10nFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Custom Name Plate - The FRS has an rectangular space between the shift and the cup holders. This space on the BRZ is for the heated seats buttons but since the FRS doesn't have those, it's just a weird empty space. Perfect thing to add is a custom plaque and @yospeed is the man to do it for you. Fast shipping and custom logos for not a lot of change.
I think I'll have to pass on this one - this space is the perfect dimensions to keep my garage door opener within reach without it slipping around all over the place. Everything else sounds pretty nice though!
sc10nFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Great write up. I've already got my JDM exhaust to tips ready to installnonce my 10 series arrives. I recommend getting the Subaru trunk lid liner. $60 and covers up the beatsonic rear camera and trunk latch wires, car should have came with it. You can also add sound deadening tape behind it for quick road noise reduction.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
#944_10_Series_FRS

Drives: 2013 10 series FRS #944
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Backup Camera - FRS, I love you to death but boy do you have a large booty. On top of that, there is almost zero visibility out that tiny back windows of yours. That's why a backup camera is a definite need. Lots of options here but for ease I went with the beatsonic combo of license plate camera and direct plug and play harness. It's a little pricier than say a BOYO plus AE64.com harness but convenience comes at a price. Top notch stuff from @Beat-Sonic
Does this beatsonic harness work as plug & play for the HU on 10s series, no cutting at all?
#944_10_Series_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Very helpful thread, thanks!

I'll be ordering the JDM clear side markers. Would you happen to have the P/N? I'd just as soon order through my dealer if possible.

Also, can you link or reference to amber LED's that work with them?

So cool that these cars are like snowflakes, no two identical after, oh, 24 hours with their new owners!
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
supra2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post

I'll be ordering the JDM clear side markers. Would you happen to have the P/N? I'd just as soon order through my dealer if possible.

So cool that these cars are like snowflakes, no two identical after, oh, 24 hours with their new owners!
I view the FRS the Same as buying a really nice bicycle frame you can modify the components to ur liking. Platform for modification.

Wave Particle Duality
The Following User Says Thank You to supra2nv For This Useful Post:
torqdork (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
TheBatman

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Great info, thanks.

Will be ordering the beatsonic backup harness soon.

Also it looks like beatsonic is soon going to be stocking Silver Ignition shark find, the have the product page for em but says outta stock....
TheBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
supra2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
Great info, thanks.

Also it looks like beatsonic is soon going to be stocking Silver Ignition shark find, the have the product page for em but says outta stock....
I called them
They have a batch out to the paint shop. FYI

Wave Particle Duality
FiRStsc10n (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
supra2nv

Quote:

Attached Images

Wave Particle Duality
torqdork (07-13-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
supra2nv

Quote:

My bad there's 2
Attached Images

Wave Particle Duality
torqdork (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Obsidiank
10 Series Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
Great info, thanks.

Im gonna be the first to get one. Will post pics when i receive it next week
18Bravo34 (08-29-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
supra2nv

I'm going short antenna

Wave Particle Duality
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
Obsidiank
10 Series Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2nv View Post
I'm going short antenna
debated between stubby and sharkfin..will likely get both and switch them out if I don't like one.
Obsidiank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Obsidiank For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (07-14-2013)