follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #715
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice Tomzilla.

OK, so I didn't know where to put this. I searched and didn't see a thread specifically for the Nameless Downpipe/Overpipe/HFC combo, but I ended up installing one today on my BRZ to match up with my SRT catback.

The install on the Nameless pipe went pretty smoothly but we had to unbolt the engine and jack it up a bit to fit the cross pipe section in to mate up with the exhaust manifold. It only took about 2.5 hrs or so if that, with most time spent jacking up the car and taking off the under shields.

My Nameless pipe came with a sweet Hemholtz resonator, awesome welds, and great fitment. Shipping took about 3 days from placement of my order and there were no issues. Packing was great and the pipe arrived safe and sound.

The sound of this combo is amazing. It's throaty under acceleration, but the Hemholtz resonator kills the drone I experienced with the SRT! Even better, I noticed immediate improvements in power throughout the rev band and my tune is hopelessly mis-matched to my car at present.

This thing rocks! I really like this company and look forward to ordering an exhaust for my GF's WRX from Nameless too.
vubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vubaru For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-19-2012), Tainen (11-20-2012), Tomzilla (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #716
Tomzilla

Drives: '13 Premium MT BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
Nice Tomzilla.

OK, so I didn't know where to put this. I searched and didn't see a thread specifically for the Nameless Downpipe/Overpipe/HFC combo, but I ended up installing one today on my BRZ to match up with my SRT catback.

The install on the Nameless pipe went pretty smoothly but we had to unbolt the engine and jack it up a bit to fit the cross pipe section in to mate up with the exhaust manifold. It only took about 2.5 hrs or so if that, with most time spent jacking up the car and taking off the under shields.

My Nameless pipe came with a sweet Hemholtz resonator, awesome welds, and great fitment. Shipping took about 3 days from placement of my order and there were no issues. Packing was great and the pipe arrived safe and sound.

The sound of this combo is amazing. It's throaty under acceleration, but the Hemholtz resonator kills the drone I experienced with the SRT! Even better, I noticed immediate improvements in power throughout the rev band and my tune is hopelessly mis-matched to my car at present.

This thing rocks! I really like this company and look forward to ordering an exhaust for my GF's WRX from Nameless too.
Definitely post a video when you can!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #717
vubaru
Now with Boost!

My camera phone has the crappiest mic ever. I'll give it a shot later this week and see if I can't maybe find a better camera to take video with.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #718
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
My camera phone has the crappiest mic ever. I'll give it a shot later this week and see if I can't maybe find a better camera to take video with.
Yeah, there is no way to really capture the sound of the exhaust with anything other than a fancy expensive microphone. I saw countless videos before getting Nameless and none of them really got the sound exactly as it is. I still now go back and see videos and its just not how my car sounds. To this day, I believe the Tainen and WoW video is the closest there is to the Nameless sound. But as I've said before, anyone on the fence because of sound or loudness should just go and get it. The sound is amazing and it is VERY quiet even with a High flow Cat. (I have the helmholtz too).
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Tainen (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #719
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yeah, there is no way to really capture the sound of the exhaust with anything other than a fancy expensive microphone. I saw countless videos before getting Nameless and none of them really got the sound exactly as it is. I still now go back and see videos and its just not how my car sounds. To this day, I believe the Tainen and WoW video is the closest there is to the Nameless sound. But as I've said before, anyone on the fence because of sound or loudness should just go and get it. The sound is amazing and it is VERY quiet even with a High flow Cat. (I have the helmholtz too).
Can you post a link for those please?
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #720
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Can you post a link for those please?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...29&postcount=8

As a disclaimer, I still think the exact sound is not captured here. It sounds even better
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
sierra (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #721
sierra

Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...29&postcount=8

As a disclaimer, I still think the exact sound is not captured here. It sounds even better
Thanks. I've listened to the start of that video more times than I care to admit to! Those are the original mufflers, same as mine, central pipe.
My car's built but still in Japan waiting for shipping and it will be almost 7 months when I get it from signing the contract. Waiting time now is 18 months so I guess i'm lucky to get it so fast?
The axle back and down pipe with high flow cat has been here for months, I jumped the gun a bit there but at least it feels like a bit of the car.
It's a real shame Nameless have stopped posting here. Lots of people don't like or use Facebook, me included.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #722
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Thanks. I've listened to the start of that video more times than I care to admit to! Those are the original mufflers, same as mine, central pipe.
My car's built but still in Japan waiting for shipping and it will be almost 7 months when I get it from signing the contract. Waiting time now is 18 months so I guess i'm lucky to get it so fast?
The axle back and down pipe with high flow cat has been here for months, I jumped the gun a bit there but at least it feels like a bit of the car.
It's a real shame Nameless have stopped posting here. Lots of people don't like or use Facebook, me included.
I understand that. Maybe twitter is an alternative to you? They said recently they were going to start posting on twitter. The way vendor accounts were setup here soured the relationship with Nameless as they wanted to pay months in advanced and were denied, they needed to do it monthly. (Something as unfortunate as Crawford).
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #723
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a video that sounds almost 99% the same as what it does in real life. I'll have to post it up later for us. I like the sound, as it's not too loud and it doesn't drone
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
sierra (11-20-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #724
sierra

Quote:
I understand that. Maybe twitter is an alternative to you? They said recently they were going to start posting on twitter. The way vendor accounts were setup here soured the relationship with Nameless as they wanted to pay months in advanced and were denied, they needed to do it monthly. (Something as unfortunate as Crawford).
It doesn't bother me much, there's more than enough info available to keep me occupied. It just seems a shame for companies like Nameless and Crawford to have to go elsewhere when it was working so well here and they gave so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
kwood9000 (11-20-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #725
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Took my car out a couple days ago (full equal length catless headers, full front-pipe with Helmholtz, and axleback).

Sooooo aggressive and mean sounding. It's still definitely on the loud side because of the headers, but man... just the most incredible unique sound ever. It's got 30% boxer rumble, 30% inline 6 sound, 40% high revving well-balanced engine sound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
ShoShin (11-20-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #726
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Took my car out a couple days ago (full equal length catless headers, full front-pipe with Helmholtz, and axleback).

Sooooo aggressive and mean sounding. It's still definitely on the loud side because of the headers, but man... just the most incredible unique sound ever. It's got 30% boxer rumble, 30% inline 6 sound, 40% high revving well-balanced engine sound.
wish they'd release the headers already!
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #727
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Too bad I'm going with the AVO UELs, these Nameless headers look and sound great
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #728
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post

Someone pointed out where the boxer rumble was still coming from with EL headers[glad you went for those!] Apparently the inlet ports on each side, front and rear, are different lengths. So you would have to compensate for that difference in the header lengths to get rid of it completely but just that small amount is perfect for me.
Surely the centre pipe is the key to volume control? Why not have a straight through muffler fitted into that?

Please post a sound clip. Can't wait to hear this one!