follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #253
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't think you show us how your super light seat is bolted to the floor ? do you have any picture / info on that ? the planted seat base is so heavy, I am curious to see how you mounted your seat to the floor. I doubt the seat side brackets are long enough to reach the floor mounting points ?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #254
chezzy79

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anybody know the weight of front/rear bumpers? would like to see if there are any body kits that will actually reduce weight.
chezzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #255
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I don't think you show us how your super light seat is bolted to the floor ? do you have any picture / info on that ? the planted seat base is so heavy, I am curious to see how you mounted your seat to the floor. I doubt the seat side brackets are long enough to reach the floor mounting points ?
I used the universal brackets that came with the seat, and bolted those to the stock rails. I didn't want to use the rails, but I had to. And no, I've never taken pictures of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzy79 View Post
Anybody know the weight of front/rear bumpers? would like to see if there are any body kits that will actually reduce weight.
Check my build thread. Post #2 should have the stock weights. And yes, there are aftermarket crash bars you can buy that are lighter.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #256
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Hey I have those seats in my Elise!
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Streetthrowback For This Useful Post:
Anthony (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #257
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetthrowback View Post
Hey I have those seats in my Elise!
Yep, I was going to get an Exige, so that's how I knew about these. The company shut down though, so they're pretty rare now.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #258
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, I was going to get an Exige, so that's how I knew about these. The company shut down though, so they're pretty rare now.
yup, I'm lookin into a gtr or and exige
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #259
Killianti

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does anyone know the weight of a stock taillight or what the lightest aftermarket taillights are?
Killianti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #260
Icanfaptothis86
tickle fight referee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So what is the total weight savings for a rear seat delete ?
Icanfaptothis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #261
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Hi Gents,
Here's another way to drop 26 lbs. off the nose of your car! Essex is now the exclusive importer and distributor of a great new lightweight battery solution, Aliant Ultralight Lithium Batteries. These batteries are manufactured in Italy and use lithium iron phosphate technology. They offer a wide range of benefits...huge weight savings, high cranking power, tiny footprint, 30 minute full recharge time, can be mounted in any position, not subject to fire, corrosion, etc. Pictures, specs, and frequently asked questions are all below, and feel free to check out our site for more details. You can also feel free to call us, PM me, or email me at any time. Thanks for looking.

The most appropriate model for BRZ/FR-S is the Aliant X4. The X4 weighs only 3.6 lbs., and is 5x3 inches, and you can mount it just about anywhere. You can read all about it on our site.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1086x724.

Full Specs
Model
X4
Nominal voltage
13,2 V
Pb Equivalent Capacity
9.2 Ah
Pulse discharge current
480 A (10 s)
Cold crank amps CCA @ -20°C
400 A
Max. discharge current
280 A
Recommended charge current
12 A @ 77°F
Max. charge current
20 A @ 77°F
Life cycle
1000 cicli @ 100% D.o.d.
2000 cicli @ 80% D.o.d.
Life expectancy
up to 5-7 years
Charging voltage
14,4 V
Max. charging voltage
14,6 V
Weight
≈ 1.62 Kg or 3.6 lbs.
Dimensions [mm]
L 148mm x W 67 x H 140 or 5.82" x 2.63" x 5.51"
Ambient temperature
-22°F / +140°F [ operation and storage ]
Max. operational altitude
16,404 feet

How Do I Mount It?
We know that it can be tough to find an appropriate mounting solution for aftermarket batteries, so we came up with some awesome mounts of our own. We made them as light as possible, strong, versatile, attractive, and affordable. You can see full details on our site.

Essex Aliant X4 Battery Bottom Mount

Essex Aliant X4 Battery Side Mount

Mount Features:
Billet Aluminum Construction- 6061-T1 billet aluminum= strong, compact, and extremely lightweight
Anodized Coating- Black Type 2 anodizing ensures that your mount will look great at install, and for many years to come.
Compact Footprint- Every ounce of unnecessary material has been removed, leaving you with a mount that presents a small footprint and weighs next to nothing.
Secure Mounting- The aluminum retaining strap secures firmly to the base and is lined with a super-resilient, quick recovery foam lining to ensure the battery will not move around on the base.
Wide Array of Mounting Options- With over a dozen potential contact points, you will have no problem finding a hardware configuration to secure your mounting base to the vehicle. All hardware required to properly install your mount is included with the kit, as well as some extras, just in case.

Essex / Aliant Bottom Mount
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x800.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x800.

Essex / Aliant Side Mount

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Please read the FAQ carefully, as it is very important to be aware of the Pro's and Con's of the technology in Aliant Batteries. Even a premium product such as this can disappoint an owner if the technology isn't used properly. Even though Aliant lithium batteries are made with best-in-class materials, contain UL certified cells, and are based on safe Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry, that does not mean that they can be misused, abused, or shorted.

• Is it necessary to modify the vehicle in order to install this type of battery?
No, the Aliant battery is perfectly adapted to directly replace the current vehicle battery - either a lead battery, an AGM battery or any other lithium battery.
It depends how much it has been discharged: if the voltage is well above 8 Volts, it is sufficient to use the Aliant battery charger to fully recharge the battery. If the voltage is below 8Volts, then it is better to NOT try recharging the battery as it could be irreparably damaged. While recharging, the cells inside can overheat, and this can be dangerous.
The battery should be disconnected from your vehicle when it is not in use (it is also possible to disconnect a cable or to install a master switch for the battery / isolator). In fact, if the battery is not disconnected from the electrical circuit of the vehicle, its life cycle will reduce considerably due to current drain from the vehicle's electrical circuit. You shouldn't forget that a vehicle is never completely turned off. Even though battery maintenance is not necessary, it is IMPORTANT to disconnect the vehicle cables from the battery terminals. Otherwise the lithium battery will be TOTALLY DISCHARGED in 3-4 weeks.
Our batteries offer superior performance to the traditional lead batteries you are replacing, i.e. the motor will start faster and in a more reliable way. In practice, the cold crank amp current (CCA) of an Aliant battery is always higher than the equivalent value of the battery you are replacing, so you shouldn't expect any problems starting your car.
We cannot guarantee that it will happen this way! We can, however, assert that there are two factors that give lithium batteries an edge in this area compared to lead batteries: Limited self-discharge - the value of self-discharge is less than 0,3% per day, so a fully charged battery has up to 11 months autonomy if disconnected from the electrical circuit. A lithium battery also has better reaction to temperature vs. lead acid. However, a compatible maintainer is always recommended to protect your lithium battery.
The lithium technology we use is able to produce more current with less material compared to the chemical reaction of lead acid, thus the same cold crank amp current can be reached with less ampere per hour (Ah) - and the battery is smaller and lighter.
Because they do not contain any liquids, Aliant batteries can be installed in any position - even upside down. However, it is recommended to keep the battery away from exhaust and from other sources of high temperature in order to avoid overheating. Furthermore, ALIANT battery housings are of plastic material - comparable to those of traditional batteries - so the direct contact with metal parts that might reach temperatures of > 248°F can cause problems
All Aliant batteries have the positive terminal on the left side and it is not possible to order products with a different configuration. But this does NOT represent a limitation - the compact form and the reduced dimensions allow to install the battery turning it by 180° so that the positive terminal will be on the required side and the battery can be correctly connected to the electrical circuit of your vehicle.
• Do I need a battery maintainer for the winter period or for longer idle times?
If you disconnect the cables of your car, you do not need it. If you keep connected then YES use a maintainer.
If "low temperature" is intended as ambient temperature, i.e. temperatures of 32°F or above, there is no problem. If "low temperature" is referred to temperatures between -22°F and 32°F, you need to consider the following: MOST BATTERIES - lithium, lead, gel,... - are temperature sensitive and an important reduction of the starting capacity occurs at low temperatures. ALIANT batteries are not an exception: during a start operation in the winter we recommend to check if the battery is in good condition and at least partially charged (>75%). Start the electrical system of the vehicle and leave the dimmed headlights on for 2-3 minutes to let the battery partially heat up, then try to start the motor.
Regulations vary from country to country and state to state. Even though ALIANT batteries comply with the restrictive RoHS regulations, they are nevertheless still batteries. We recommend that you take your used up Aliant battery to your nearest battery collection and disposal center.
So I daily drive my car but I'm looking into potentially tracking my car, would one of these batteries be recommended for a daily driver? And what are the pros and cons of this particular lightweight battery?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #262
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanfaptothis86 View Post
So what is the total weight savings for a rear seat delete ?
See post #2 in my build thread. Should be in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
So I daily drive my car but I'm looking into potentially tracking my car, would one of these batteries be recommended for a daily driver? And what are the pros and cons of this particular lightweight battery?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
I can't comment on this particular battery, nor can I confidently comment from the perspective of using it in a DD, but my 3 pound Shorai battery has been in for about 18 months now. I've never charged it, I never unplug it, it sits for weeks at a time, and it has never failed me once. Based on my experience with it, I will never buy another type of battery again, for any car. And I don't mean Shorai only, I'd be willing to try various brands, but if they're all like the Shorai ones, they're hosses.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #263
hamzam
Proud dad of 2 boys :)

Drives: Firestorm 6-MT
Quote:
Anthony, thanks for all your hard work.

http://www.chasebays.com/chase-bays-...or-for-subaru/

I hope you know about this! Saves an additional ~20lbs off the front.

My intention is to do that, the light-weight battery and A/C delete in one shot.

Today, I removed my subwoofer that I used maybe once a week, along with a bunch of crap just floating around in the car.

I could not believe how peppy it felt. I am hooked now to weight savings.

Going to weigh my Forgestar F14's tomorrow to see how much unsprung weight I need to compensate for... or not hopefully, hehe.

hamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamzam For This Useful Post:
Anthony (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #264
hamzam
Proud dad of 2 boys :)

Drives: Firestorm 6-MT
Did some homework for myself... now I'm highly motivated.

First image is not mine, second is the homework:

hamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamzam For This Useful Post:
Anthony (07-17-2015), SuperTom (09-11-2018)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #265
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Oh, awesome! No, I didn't know about the brake booster eliminator. I haven't had much time to keep up with new 86 products in the last 6 months or so, and I'm realizing there's a lot I don't know about right now.

And good job on that chart.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
hamzam (07-17-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #266
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Curious about the brake booster eliminator... 20lbs is a lot.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diet, heavy, light, reduction, weight