follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #2941
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Here's Radium's explanation on what each can does:
My understanding is that there is no PCV check valve on our car. It is merely a hose that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the crankcase with no check valve in line.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #2942
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Torque dip
Noticed too. @stockysnail Might wanna have Bobby check that out. Mine is flat across the powerband.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2943
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Just an update:

I reached out to Innovate about the clamps leaking on me. They are sending me new worm drive clamps to replace the crimped ones on the T fitting. They were also disappointed I went out and bought clamps to replace the ones that didn't fit because they would have sent me new ones, but I'm just impatient so it wasn't a bother lol.

If anyone has these issues, pick up the phone and call Innovate. They will take care of you right away, and especially now since I let them know there are kits out there with clamps that don't fit. I know they suck with forum presence but there customer service has been great so far.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2944
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Just an update:

I reached out to Innovate about the clamps leaking on me. They are sending me new worm drive clamps to replace the crimped ones on the T fitting. They were also disappointed I went out and bought clamps to replace the ones that didn't fit because they would have sent me new ones, but I'm just impatient so it wasn't a bother lol.

If anyone has these issues, pick up the phone and call Innovate. They will take care of you right away, and especially now since I let them know there are kits out there with clamps that don't fit. I know they suck with forum presence but there customer service has been great so far.
So are they sending you clamps to replace all of the worm clamps you used? or just the ones for that came preclamped?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #2945
xxscaxx

Quote:
So are they sending you clamps to replace all of the worm clamps you used? or just the ones for that came preclamped?
Well they said

"I wish you would have called back, we could have solved the issue instead of having you go out and purchase new clamps.

I'd like to send you some new worm drive clamps to solve the leaks caused by the double ear clamps. Please reply with your mailing address."

I replied back and asked if they could send a few extra for me to replace the ones I bought already, because I know they will be specifically sized for those lines. I only really care about replacing the visible ones, but we will see. If they only send me the two for the T fitting, no biggie. They are right, I should have called back, but I didn't want to wait a few days to get them in the mail.

EDIT:

Just got back to me, sending me a pack of 10 clamps

Last edited by xxscaxx; 01-28-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #2946
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Well they said

"I wish you would have called back, we could have solved the issue instead of having you go out and purchase new clamps.

I'd like to send you some new worm drive clamps to solve the leaks caused by the double ear clamps. Please reply with your mailing address."

I replied back and asked if they could send a few extra for me to replace the ones I bought already, because I know they will be specifically sized for those lines. I only really care about replacing the visible ones, but we will see. If they only send me the two for the T fitting, no biggie. They are right, I should have called back, but I didn't want to wait a few days to get them in the mail.

EDIT:

Just got back to me, sending me a pack of 10 clamps
Gotcha. so it'll basically be an all worm clamp setup then? if i notice leaking from up there i'l add some for good measure. I'm also going to be throwing some worm drive clamps on the hoses that attach to the back of the manifold to make sure I don't ave any vacuum leaks there.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #2947
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I'll be joining the fold in a day or two. Fullblown turbo is coming off and Innovate SC going on!
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (01-28-2014), xxscaxx (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #2948
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I'll be joining the fold in a day or two. Fullblown turbo is coming off and Innovate SC going on!
What prompted your decision to switch?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #2949
xxscaxx

Quote:
Gotcha. so it'll basically be an all worm clamp setup then? if i notice leaking from up there i'l add some for good measure. I'm also going to be throwing some worm drive clamps on the hoses that attach to the back of the manifold to make sure I don't ave any vacuum leaks there.
After switching my fittings out for the brass i actually had a leak on one of the back fittings, even with a hose clamp (it was a little too big). I had to throw a zip tie on there.

But yes, i'm guessing an all worm clamp setup, unless they plan on changing out those pressure fitting clamps for bigger ones.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #2950
Gen

Quote:
What prompted your decision to switch?
In a nutshell (Full disclaimer, I was a fairly early adopter and I think some of my problems are symptomatic of any top mount turbo)

Endless issues--tune alone took probably 8 months to get completely sorted. Injectors just never wanted to play nice. MAF sensor is in a bad location and eventually I had to switch to speed density.

Heat...tons and tons of heat. Even with an upgraded radiator and 25 row oil cooler it was too much. 220 degree coolant temps cruising at 70 on the freeway.

Welds leaked...fittings were cheap...headers caught fire. Had to redo most of it. Coolant lines literally melted as well.

Down pipe was shaped poorly and melted fans.

The kicker? About 10 WHP more than a stock (75mm pulley) innovate kit with only a cat back on the freakin' base map. Both cars running 91 octane on the same dyno and tuner. This is with me running higher boost and only one high flow cat. I was left with the decision of spending more money on more modifications just to try and deal with heat or sell the kit outright and buy an innovate kit (CARB legal!) with intercooler and break even.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
Alabang 86 (02-06-2014), Calum (01-28-2014), normancw (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #2951
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
@Gen all seem like the typical experiences of running a turbo on a car without one in stock form. I love when people say it's like OEM. Not saying they're a nightmare but just more up keep and considerations.

I'm running a Perrin oil cooler and stock radiator (although upgrading mine this weekend) and my water temps on the track never exceed 200F and oil stays at max 205F on the track.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swift996 For This Useful Post:
Gen (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #2952
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
@Gen all seem like the typical experiences of running a turbo on a car without one in stock form. I love when people say it's like OEM. Not saying they're a nightmare but just more up keep and considerations.
Those people lie!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #2953
olorin

Drives: GBS Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
After switching my fittings out for the brass i actually had a leak on one of the back fittings, even with a hose clamp (it was a little too big). I had to throw a zip tie on there.
When you swap out the plastic fittings on the back for the brass ones do they just screw into the hole where the plastic ones are? Or do you have to take the SC off the manifold?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #2954
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Thanks. i just threw a couple worm clamps on there and it seems to be nice and tight, won't be able to confirm for a while though as it just started snowing here.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.