follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
mooshu47

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What does an exhaust leak sound like?

I recently installed an OpenFlash Header on my BRZ, and I'm wondering if it might be leaking. The symptoms are: On cold start, for about 20 seconds or so I hear a popping noise, almost like a 2-stroke engine. It also makes the same noise when idling, sometimes but not always. Once I increase engine temp and/or exhaust pressure the noise goes away.

Other than the little popping noises the car seems to be performing like a beast. I also changed the inlet tube with a Perrin and tuned for E85 with OFT OTS stage 2 tune at around the same time. I tracked the car this past weekend and it felt like a monster (for a BRZ anyway.) I passed a couple of Vettes and Porsches without issue. I was in the noob group though so skill level was all over the place.

Anyway, does this sound like maybe I just didn't tighten down the header properly? Or maybe something else? I'm going to get under it tonight and back out the bolts / nuts and re-torque them. Just thought I'd inquire with you folks to see if maybe I am missing something. Thanks.
mooshu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
An exhaust leak is literal exhaust coming out of a hole/crack/gasket somewhere in the exhaust system. If there is noise coming from the header, its a leak, if the noise is coming from the exhaust tips, then you're probably fine.

It's not a bad idea to re-torque the bolts after some heat cycles anyway though.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
mooshu47

Yeah it's definitely coming from the engine bay, not the exhaust tips.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You changed a lot of things at once, so pinning down root cause is tougher. Have you ever run E85 previous to this? Some people claim they get odd noises from the fuel pump when running it. If it was an exhaust leak, it definitely would not go away with more exhaust pressure. The tune may also have a different warm up set than you're used to.

Is it possible to capture this in a video and share with us?
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
mooshu47 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Twitchy313

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshu47 View Post
I recently installed an OpenFlash Header on my BRZ, and I'm wondering if it might be leaking. The symptoms are: On cold start, for about 20 seconds or so I hear a popping noise, almost like a 2-stroke engine. It also makes the same noise when idling, sometimes but not always. Once I increase engine temp and/or exhaust pressure the noise goes away.

Other than the little popping noises the car seems to be performing like a beast. I also changed the inlet tube with a Perrin and tuned for E85 with OFT OTS stage 2 tune at around the same time. I tracked the car this past weekend and it felt like a monster (for a BRZ anyway.) I passed a couple of Vettes and Porsches without issue. I was in the noob group though so skill level was all over the place.

Anyway, does this sound like maybe I just didn't tighten down the header properly? Or maybe something else? I'm going to get under it tonight and back out the bolts / nuts and re-torque them. Just thought I'd inquire with you folks to see if maybe I am missing something. Thanks.

It kinda sounds like a loud flapping sound. That’s the best i could describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitchy313 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twitchy313 For This Useful Post:
mooshu47 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
FWIW, I thought I had an exhaust leak when I installed my ACE header, but I looked around and couldn't find any usual, obvious signs of a leak (no soot marks by the flanges). Then I asked my friend to sit in it and he told me it sounded the same as his. Turned out the much thinner metal, and lack of heat shields, just allows a lot more noise to come through, which in my case is a ticking noise that sounds a lot like a small leak somewhere.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
mooshu47 (03-27-2019), Tcoat (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
FWIW, I thought I had an exhaust leak when I installed my ACE header, but I looked around and couldn't find any usual, obvious signs of a leak (no soot marks by the flanges). Then I asked my friend to sit in it and he told me it sounded the same as his. Turned out the much thinner metal, and lack of heat shields, just allows a lot more noise to come through, which in my case is a ticking noise that sounds a lot like a small leak somewhere.
This ^
Headers make weird noises sometimes. As said the metal is usually thinner and the different bends make the flow sound strange. If uncatted or before the cats you will smell it pretty easily if it is indeed a leak.
mooshu47 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
mooshu47

Quote:
Have you ever run E85 previous to this?
Nope.

Quote:
Is it possible to capture this in a video and share with us?
Yeah as soon as I get home.

Quote:
It kinda sounds like a loud flapping sound.
That seems like what I'm hearing. Imagine a huge whoopee cushion and a real fat guy sitting on it very slowly.

Quote:
the much thinner metal, and lack of heat shields, just allows a lot more noise to come through
That's possible too that it's just the natural sound. Also I still have all the underbody removed (the fiber piece and the metal skid plate.)

Quote:
you will smell it pretty easily if it is indeed a leak
I don't smell anything unusual.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
mooshu47

Quote:
You changed a lot of things at once
Just a note, I did the E85 tune and the inlet tube about a week before the header, and didn't notice any noises during that week.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope.

That seems like what I'm hearing. Imagine a huge whoopee cushion and a real fat guy sitting on it very slowly.

That's possible too that it's just the natural sound. Also I still have all the underbody removed (the fiber piece and the metal skid plate.)

Put those underbody panels back on. You'll be surprised at how much sound they block.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It'll make a loud ticking sound for only that one or two cylinders if the leak is at the exhaust port.

It'll make a more poofy sound on all exhaust strokes if it's downstream.

Waiting for the vid.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #12
natekwondo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Manual 2015
Quote:
Nope.

When I first installed my aftermarket header I was trying to discern all the different sounds. 1) the whooshy exhaust sound was due to thinner metal and no heat shield, and the general design of my header.
2) I experienced a flapping, tractor sound coming from the engine bay on cold start which did not sound right. I was lazy, and ended up not bothering to get back under, instead I went to an exhaust shop and said I had an exhaust leak.

When I got the car back from the shop they said one of the nuts from one side of the exhaust runner flanges had come loose. (It created a very small gap between the gasket and the flange) They ended up using loctite to correct it. Some of the exhaust header designs make it difficult to apply the correct torque settings to both sides of the header at the attachment point, and I theorise that when you run the car, especially when lubrication has been applied to the bolt/nut, it vibrates the nut loose.

My car has been running perfectly for the last 4 months or so once this occurred.

Hope this helps.
natekwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
When I had a leaky gasket between a front pipe and a catback, the sound was more farty and VERY noticeable when you turn the car off and the last bit of exhaust gases are expelled. It's almost like the car blows a raspberry at you. PPFFFRRRT
Old 03-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
mooshu47

Still popping, haven't had a chance to do anything, been super busy the last couple of days. Will try to update tonight.