follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What do I do?
Keep the BRZ, go forced induction 20 38.46%
Pre-order Focus RS 8 15.38%
Go for a used Porsche 15 28.85%
Something else 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #15
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you like to do your own maintenance and/or tinkering/modding? If yes than you can probably remove the Porsche from your list.

Honestly I think the BRZ is the best car out of the ones you're considering. I'd go FI and call it a day.

Then again, you've had a lot of cars. Maybe it's time for a corvette or something? (I'm just spitballing now)
Old 06-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #16
SCHN3LL

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Engine swap. Less than buying a car
Live in Cali, no engine swaps with smog.... trust me, if I lived just about anywhere else I'd be doing an LS swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
wait for the civic type r instead of the focus rs.

honda > ford
Wait, what? Maybe 15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
but AWD > FWD.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Do you like to do your own maintenance and/or tinkering/modding? If yes than you can probably remove the Porsche from your list.

Honestly I think the BRZ is the best car out of the ones you're considering. I'd go FI and call it a day.

Then again, you've had a lot of cars. Maybe it's time for a corvette or something? (I'm just spitballing now)

Yes I am, my BRZ hasn't been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. Why do you say I couldn't do that to a Porsche? A car, is a car is a car. All you need are the right tools for the job... "Give me a long enough lever and I'll move the earth" - nerd quote

I definitely like the BRZ a lot, it ticks almost all the boxes, just that issue with power...

The vette is an interesting option for sure, if I could get a stingray for around 40k in a year or so, that would definitely be a possibility. My wife however, would hate me, the stingray is her dream car (currently she drives a tuned Mini Cooper JCW).

I did just read a quick snippet from an engineer on the Focus RS who stated that they are intended to build the car at 100% of it's capabilities, and it was in reference to the powertrain supporting additional power... So it sounds like I'm going to take a wait and see approach there too.

Another option is the Golf R/S3... I would go slightly used here. The intriguing part to me is the tunability of the new engine, some of the big VAG tuners are getting 100hp crank with a stage 1. Very impressive and with a better AWD system (sounds very similar to the RS's) and a fully defeatable traction control system (finally), I think that might be another suitable option.
Tcoat (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Focus RS might very well be the next Evo killer, but I wouldn't preorder it. A test drive will definitley be needed.
Mitsu was the next Evo killer since they committed suicide!
Dadhawk (06-18-2015), pushrod (06-17-2015), raven1231 (06-17-2015), STV3 (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Mitsu was the next Evo killer since they committed suicide!
This! RIP EVO You will be missed
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
This! RIP EVO You will be missed
SHHHHH don't say that on this forum (They will stone you for liking Mitsus here)

raven1231 (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #20
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
SHHHHH don't say that on this forum (They will stone you for liking Mitsus here)

They must really hate me then...4 out of 7 of the cars I have owned are Mitsubishis
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm in your same boat except my approach is different. I've reached a point where any further mods are several thousands of dollars ($7000+ for FI and supporting mods/tune). I'm thinking I want to move to a more practical daily drive car like a 2016 Mazda 3 S GT fully loaded. The plan is to later get a weekend warrior car that will either be a car show or drag strip car.

The fears I have above are what @raven1231 stated. Being able to have enough money to replace an engine or transmission because this car was not designed to be FI from the factory. It's a risk hoping you have a really good engine and then finding an outstanding tuner to trust with your engine.

In the day and age we're in now, you can get very high horse power cars from the factory. Sure, they don't match the twins in handling, but they offer a lot when it comes to technology and factory installed higher end parts.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Go for the Cayman S. If you want something around the size and feel of the Twins, but with more power and refinement, it's the logical step up. I had an 09 Boxster S and it was fantastic.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (06-19-2015), strat61caster (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
FI is fun, but it sure isn't cheap once you get everything you want and do it properly...
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #24
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I'm in your same boat except my approach is different. I've reached a point where any further mods are several thousands of dollars ($7000+ for FI and supporting mods/tune). I'm thinking I want to move to a more practical daily drive car like a 2016 Mazda 3 S GT fully loaded. The plan is to later get a weekend warrior car that will either be a car show or drag strip car.

The fears I have above are what @raven1231 stated. Being able to have enough money to replace an engine or transmission because this car was not designed to be FI from the factory. It's a risk hoping you have a really good engine and then finding an outstanding tuner to trust with your engine.

In the day and age we're in now, you can get very high horse power cars from the factory. Sure, they don't match the twins in handling, but they offer a lot when it comes to technology and factory installed higher end parts.
Yes sir. I get sick of hearing that it's all about the tune. No, it's about running boost on a high compression engine, that was never designed to hold boost in the first place. Sure, some people are running 400+whp with zero problems, however, others are blowing their blocks at 270-350whp.

The reality is that every time you decide to get on it in a twin with a FI kit and stock block you're playing russian roulette with your engine, therefore you should be prepared for when it goes, or not do it in the first place. Same holds true for the trans, although they are seeming to hold up better than the blocks and only shearing gears at higher power levels.

There is definitely a peace of mind that goes along with having a turbo car that was designed to be turbo from the factory.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
2016 Camaro SS (06-17-2015), strat61caster (06-17-2015), Tcoat (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #25
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@SCHN3LL

Honda > Ford because reliability & aftermarket support. A friend who owns a focus st and races it has constantly run into problems. And I feel the interior is whatever.
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmblood For This Useful Post:
Koa (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
tl;dr I felt like talking out of my ass.

IMO if you want to maintain the light nimble and agile feeling drop the Ford off the list, while impressive it'll still be a hopped up economy hatch. A very very good fun and rewarding one that for most people will blow any 86 out of the water, but still a hatch. So you're between a Cayman S and FI and it honestly sounds like you want the Porsche and are just looking for convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHN3LL View Post
This is the reason why FI isn't really a great option for me. If I wasn't in SoCal, I'd do a turbo and be done with it.

But my only options are a few superchargers that are good, but not great.
Good but not great? Jackson and Vortech are claiming ~245 at the wheels right? 300 at the crank? On CARB tune that's been very reliable, last I checked the FI engines blown list there weren't any on an OTS CARB tune, I wouldn't be surprised if some have popped but they haven't posted. I think the superchargers are very viable considering you'r not far off a Cayman S packing ~320 with an extra ~200 lbs to carry around. And zero worries about smog. Oh and you're within easy distance of the hottest tuner for the 86.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56331

No way is an FI twin going to measure up to a Porsche or similar caliber car from the factory, there was a guy awhile back who tried and came here blasting the 86 for not measuring up, sold his and bought a Cayman. He got a bunch of shit but it's valid, the little things stack against the 86 from bushings wearing out to interior build quality. But if you're looking for something to blast around in and put a smile on your face the 86 is a serious contender, even more so with FI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Personally tinkering makes the Porsche more attractive imo, the Germans typically design a car to be taken apart and put back together over and over again (although it shouldn't need to in the first place but that's a different discussion), a significant portion of the Porsche fanbase is built around how receptive they are to tinkering owners like Magnus Walker and Jack Olsen.

We're not talking about Ferrari's where a non-dealership service knocks 5% off the value (~$5k-$10k depending on the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHN3LL View Post
Live in Cali, no engine swaps with smog.... trust me, if I lived just about anywhere else I'd be doing an LS swap.
As long as engine going into the car is the same year as the chassis or newer and the engine retains it's original (or certified replacement) smog equipment it's a relatively straightforward process legally speaking.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Still a pain in the ass and won't be cheap as you'd have to source a '13+ LS which removes a lot of the advantages ($/hp), I'd take a Cayman or 911 over this option any day. But I do dream of swapping in a 13B if the FA20 ever goes...

idk, seems like you want the Porsche or equivalent, there are too many roadblocks in your head for FI and this hobby is all about whatever makes you feel good, so go start test driving!

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #27
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
Go for the Cayman, you won't regret it.

The "new car itch" won't be solved by boosting the FR-S, all you'll accomplish is wasting $5000 and being in this same position in 6 months.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-17-2015), strat61caster (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
I'm eagerly anticipating a fa20dit swap. if it is feasable or not in cali.
why would you swap into that lackluster engine?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, focus rs, new car, porsche