follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
Sundae
meatbun

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0 (812)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I'm having trouble reading today; I guess it's time to go to sleep. just buy a 2.5" ID donut gasket and you will be good.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/Blox-Racing-B...s=donut+gasket

doesn't seem that expensive and it looks fairly easy to get to the connection on the TRD exhaust since it's right behind the muffler. should be a quick job without the need to take the whole exhaust off
Hey man, just thought it'd be worth replying to your comment for posterity and to keep track of my progress...

So the gasket from Amazon came in, the same one you linked to. I found a small ring gasket inside when I disconnected the midpipe>muffler that I THINK was responsible for the rattling I was hearing, and I don't even think it was doing anything as far as a gasket's job goes. Previously the flanges (is that what you call the lips at the end the pipes?) were touching. Below is how the new gasket looks installed, seems sealed enough for now til the TRD hardware kit to arrive, which I'll be picking up on Tuesday.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-08-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 AM   #16
pinoy_dorifto
Tuloy po kayo!

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It won't show up on their local system, they have to order it from dealer daily website. That is how my local dealer ordered my hardware kit.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 AM   #17
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I went through this trouble too and the donut gasket is no help. Itll seal for the time being but itll leak soon enough.

But please show us this "eristic" gasket!!
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #18
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy_dorifto View Post
It won't show up on their local system, they have to order it from dealer daily website. That is how my local dealer ordered my hardware kit.
tl;dr That's about the same experience I had.

I'll tell the story, since the subject was brought up...

On Wednesday, I called the dealership and they seemed to understand what I was saying. I was told to come in and order physically (this is some dealership rule or something that you need to order parts in person). I arrive, and it seems there was a huge communication breakdown; he thought I wanted the gasket from the cat to the midpipe, even though I was very clear. I showed him the part number and the parts for the hardware kit on my phone, and he couldn't find it in the system. He asked me to call tomorrow so he could call their warehouse, or something, since I was there after the warehouse's hours.

I call and remind him Thursday, he says he'll call back in 10 minutes. Turns out that yes, the part number is valid and the hardware kit does exist! For whatever reason, it was removed from his system, and somebody from the warehouse needed to manually re-add it. He had it done, and I was able to get to the dealership again to put in the order. Total come to about $24.25.

It should be there on Tuesday, and I'll come back with any updates then.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #19
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I went through this trouble too and the donut gasket is no help. Itll seal for the time being but itll leak soon enough.

But please show us this "eristic" gasket!!
Will absolutely! Just curious, how come you're so sure the Amazon one won't last?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #20
Decimus
BAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Will absolutely! Just curious, how come you're so sure the Amazon one won't last?
Because im currently using one exactly like that on my trd exhaust. I guess the gap between the flanges flex/shifts around and eventually it started leaking. I know it was starting to shoot fumes from that connection when i installed my velox diffuser... by now its probably shooting out a lot more.

I tighten the gap until it was nice and even like yours but after a few days driving i could feel the fumes escaping
Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 AM   #21
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:
Because im currently using one exactly like that on my trd exhaust. I guess the gap between the flanges flex/shifts around and eventually it started leaking. I know it was starting to shoot fumes from that connection when i installed my velox diffuser... by now its probably shooting out a lot more.

I tighten the gap until it was nice and even like yours but after a few days driving i could feel the fumes escaping
Ah! I've got a few more days with this on so I'll check it periodically too. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #22
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:

Just wanted to ping you, did a quick update in the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundae For This Useful Post:
Decimus (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #23
Decimus
BAE

Quote:
Just wanted to ping you, did a quick update in the OP.
Thank you for this. Looks like the gasket is just a thick flat gasket. Can you measure the thickness prior to install? Im thinking of getting another donut gasket and cutting it to the thickness and call it a day. Lol
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #24
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:
Thank you for this. Looks like the gasket is just a thick flat gasket. Can you measure the thickness prior to install? Im thinking of getting another donut gasket and cutting it to the thickness and call it a day. Lol
Can do! I haven't even installed it yet because it's been raining pretty consistently here. Now, of all times, Los Angeles?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #25
Decimus
BAE

Quote:
Can do! I haven't even installed it yet because it's been raining pretty consistently here. Now, of all times, Los Angeles?
Haha! Im in LA too so im dealing with shitty traffic and weather too. Could be worst right?
Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #26
Sundae
meatbun

Quote:
Haha! Im in LA too so im dealing with shitty traffic and weather too. Could be worst right?
Yeah, and since you've sent this message it HAS gotten worse; it's hailed a few times!! haha

Anyway, sorry for the late reply. The Amazon gasket has been working without issue so I have been taking my time. I HAVE put the TRD gasket in, but... it just... seems weird. The bolts were weird too... I can elaborate when I'm not so sleepy. Anyway, here's a pic of gasket the size:

And you can find more pictures of whatever I took in the album below:
Album: http://imgur.com/a/yu1kc

Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundae For This Useful Post:
Nofiboy (10-03-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #27
Decimus
BAE

Quote:
Hope this helps!
Thanks a bunch! Yeah its a werid sitting gasket but i guess as long as it doesnt leak and doesnt have room for flex then the gasket is all good.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #28
Nofiboy

Drives: 2014 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys. Im installing a trd exhaust on my frs too. Looking for some insight. Is the trd gasket you guys used recommended or is it ok to use any 2.5 inch gasket? Also did you guys reuse the bolts and gasket from the cat to midpipe flange?
Nofiboy is offline   Reply With Quote