follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #85
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish07 View Post
Hope you'll get your sson! It is frustrating to buy something and not be able to use it at it should be, but well, companies can do errors, the most important is the way they solve them
Yeah, exactly. Nameless is a small shop and they have someone do their mandrel bends for them and they can't keep up with the pace Nameless has been giving them so orders are taking a bit longer. It's well worth the wait though.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
trish07 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #86
trish07

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
New exhaust has been received! Thank to Ryan form Takeda for the help!! I'll give you the feedback as soon as it is installed! I'm presently moving into my new house, so it may takes a few weeks before I get back!!

Can't wait!!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #87
trish07

Garage
Thumbs up UPDATE

So, here it is, I finally received and installed my new exhaust from Takeda. The service was great, thank to Ryan for all his efforts managing my file

Now, will see this winter...

Doesn't it looks good???

Here's the car look this summer :p

Coils are missing, comming soon
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #88
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So, here it is, I finally received and installed my new exhaust from Takeda. The service was great, thank to Ryan for all his efforts managing my file

Now, will see this winter...

Doesn't it looks good???

Here's the car look this summer :p

Coils are missing, comming soon
Where do I order it to get the right material made exhaust? @FT-86_SpeedFactory is still the old one?

Last edited by Minovsky; 05-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #89
trish07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Where do I order it to get the right material made exhaust? @FT-86_SpeedFactory is still the old one?
I don't, you should ask them directly They didn't told me if they were to change to whole line or only mine because I stay in a place where winter is rough....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #90
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't, you should ask them directly They didn't told me if they were to change to whole line or only mine because I stay in a place where winter is rough....
;( it gets pretty bad here in Canada too with all the salt on the roads anyways let me ask around haha
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #91
trish07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
;( it gets pretty bad here in Canada too with all the salt on the roads anyways let me ask around haha
Keep us posted
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #92
FloridaFRSdriver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS 6 Speed Manual
Any updates on this?

I really like the sound of the Takeda in the videos... but it seems a little heavier than stock. Can any owners confirm the weight?

Also, any updates on the rusting issue? I was considering the Takeda exhaust but the rusting issues owners have had are giving me second thoughts. Considering Nameless or SRT or Borla.
FloridaFRSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #93
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFRSdriver View Post
Any updates on this?

I really like the sound of the Takeda in the videos... but it seems a little heavier than stock. Can any owners confirm the weight?

Also, any updates on the rusting issue? I was considering the Takeda exhaust but the rusting issues owners have had are giving me second thoughts. Considering Nameless or SRT or Borla.
I have one. It sounds great. Better than that. There's no drone (I do LOTS of highway driving). I've been very happy with the sound, tone, volume... everything. When you drive the car like it's supposed to be driven, it screams. Drive it civilly - and it's nice and quiet and mellow.

It's definitely not much lighter than the stock exhaust at all. You're not buying it for weight savings.

My first one had a few fitment issues - the tips were not even with the rear bumper - one was sunk in about an inch, one stuck out about an inch. It was on the car for about 3-4 weeks at most and the surface rust had started quickly.

I eventually got a replacement under warranty from aFe, which went on the car in early December 2012. I daily drive my car about 28,000 miles a year.

Boxer by Fledonfoot, on Flickr

The picture above was taken in April, after one winter on the car. The rust never bothered me until I took this picture. I solved the problem by buying the knockoff rear diffuser to hide it.

The tips still don't quite line up right with each other - they still stick out unevenly, but they fill the openings up very nicely when looking straight on from behind.

The pictures attached to this post were taken about 15 minutes ago. There's about 10 months and just under 20,000 miles of highway exposure to the exhaust, including one winter's worth of daily driving. The level of rust buildup on something that's supposed to be made of 304 stainless steel is alarming. 304 is the same stuff the Gateway Arch in St Louis is wrapped in...

About 2-3 weeks ago a small leak has started (as the weather has cooled, coincidentally), at the slip fitting between the two sections of pipe. After about 2-3 minutes of driving, the exhaust heats up and it seems to seal itself off. There's a large carbon buildup around this joint that confirms the leak, and the fitting provided will not go any tighter. I'll have to address it next time it goes back up on the lift at work.

There are also a few welds of the tubing on the muffler that are starting to crumble a bit. I can't get a good picture with the car on the ground, but they're not leaking at this point.

My gut feeling is that it's not going to last through the winter. Which is a shame, because I love the way it sounds. Now that I've hidden the ugly piping from view from the rear with the diffuser, it's great.

We shall see, but I forsee a new exhaust for myself in the spring.
Attached Images

fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fledonfoot For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-14-2013), yajin (10-15-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #94
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Takeda says 409 stainless on their web site
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #95
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Takeda says 409 stainless on their web site
They do. At the time I purchased it, I recall it being advertised as full 304, and that's what I thought I was getting. The vendor I purchased it from has since updated/corrected their website. Neither of the two exhausts look as shiny/clean as the one Trish recieved.

I'd be interested to see what @trish07 's exhaust looks like now after a few months on the car.
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #96
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fledonfoot View Post
They do. At the time I purchased it, I recall it being advertised as full 304, and that's what I thought I was getting. The vendor I purchased it from has since updated/corrected their website. Neither of the two exhausts look as shiny/clean as the one Trish recieved.

I'd be interested to see what @trish07 's exhaust looks like now after a few months on the car.
That looks terrible. Worse than stock systems I've seen after a year of use.

Hope you're able to get that cleaned up one way or another.

Also interested to see how trish07's replacement fares after another winter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #97
brzadrian
I'm Batman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ aka Sally
Garage
So what the best exhaust to buy if u live in ike chicago? lol i hate rust what do u guys recommend buying?
(id make my own thread but everyone gets a heart attack when u ask questions here and is a total bitch about it)
brzadrian is offline   Reply With Quote