follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
twincamRob

Drives: 2013 FS FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Extra wiring (and a Usb surprise)

When I test drove my car I saw there was some extra wire harnesses in the glove box and I told my friend (who was the salesman) that I wanted all of it with the car. Although, I have no idea what any of it is for except one looks like an antenna adapter of some sort. Anyone have any ideas?

And my friend also synced up my phone for me while I was there and when I went to plug it in to charge it, it didn't work. At first I though, damn that sucks the usb doesn't charge but when I tried to run an Ipod through it I couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried, and I tried alot lol!

Frustrated and thinking of how I saw some people were getting cars with no stereo installed and seeing pics on Autotrader of cars with no stereo I came to the conclusion that they must be installed at the dealer and maybe they forgot some of the wiring I found in the glovebox. So out came the stereo...

And here's the nice surprise I found...

Missed one. D'oh!

Plugged in (which was a stretch) and all was well in usb land. But I didn't get to use any of the mystery wiring, any ideas on what they are?
Instagram: @twincamrob
twincamRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twincamRob For This Useful Post:
SVXdc (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
sirhc

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
wiring for the brz? mine didnt have any of those lol
sirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
ssmtsx

Drives: Ultramarine 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I believe all the Scion's use the same radio...Maybe those were the wires for the iq/tc/xb/xd? The dealer probably didn't know what they went to so they left them in your glove box.
ssmtsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
kndonlee

Drives: FR-S
ah ha, the unit in your car uses that third harness! I knew I was thinking that that 3rd harness carried USB & Aux. Probably also carries sat radio antenna or something as well...

I was asking this question, but no replies...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10331
kndonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
They're probably adapter harnesses to install a different factory radio.

Robbie, can you post pictures viewing each of the connectors straight-on (and without the bags)? (so we can see the shape of each one and its pins)

Also, the next time you pull your radio, it would be helpful to see one of the back (with everything unplugged), and the label on the top or bottom (showing the model numbers, and FCC ID, if it has one).

Here's one of the front (from MotorTrend's FR-S 'First Look'):
ADDED: Looks like Kiteless found a much better picture (posted here). Front model number is ALCP-W12U T1819. Added external photos document from FCC's site.

Last edited by SVXdc; 07-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
twincamRob

Drives: 2013 FS FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Robbie, can you post pictures viewing each of the connectors straight-on (and without the bags)? (so we can see the shape of each one and its pins)

Also, the next time you pull your radio, it would be helpful to see one of the back (with everything unplugged), and the label on the top or bottom (showing the model numbers, and FCC ID, if it has one).

I didn't unplug anything, just plugged in what they forgot I did notice there were RCA plugs on the back of this stereo (base unit).

Here's some pics of the mystery wires, the one on the far left has the same style plug as what I plugged in, the third pic is a close up of the opposite side of it...

Instagram: @twincamrob
twincamRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twincamRob For This Useful Post:
SVXdc (07-01-2012), Thongpocket (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
SVXdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincamRob View Post
I didn't unplug anything, just plugged in what they forgot I did notice there were RCA plugs on the back of this stereo (base unit).
I know you didn't unplug anything. I was just asking to see a picture of the back with all of the factory harnesses out of the way (so we could see the pins on all of the radio's sockets).

The RCA jacks are line outs for a subwoofer. They're actually mentioned in Scion's user guide (see link several posts after Kiteless's post, here).
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
SVXdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincamRob View Post
Here's some pics of the mystery wires, the one on the far left has the same style plug as what I plugged in, the third pic is a close up of the opposite side of it...

(click thumbnails to see larger versions)
Thanks! I was close. The harnesses are used to install your radio into a different car.

Looking at the harnesses in the first picture...
The first adapter harness (left) converts to a different style of OEM USB connector.

The one with the 28-pin plug fits your radio's socket (for aux, mic, and a few other signals), and converts that to Toyota 20-pin and 8-pin sockets.

The last one converts one of the radio's power/speaker sockets (the 10-pin one) and your radio's antenna socket to the same 10-pin connector (with the power antenna control there instead of on the antenna socket), and to a different style of OEM antenna connector (looks like a normal Motorola female).

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVXdc For This Useful Post:
sparks (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
SVXdc

If you can post close-up pictures looking at the top and bottom of the adapter with the 28-pin plug, I should be able to map out what pins the radio uses and where they connect on the 8- and 20-pin sockets.

Also, see my earlier post -- I added a PDF from the FCC's site that shows pictures of every side of the radio (including the rear with nothing plugged in ).
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Thongpocket
Master Troll

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited

The one on the right is def sat radio harness. Other one looks like CD changer connecters .
Thongpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
kndonlee

Ah hah. Once I get my radio, that 28pin connector is what I need to wire up the stock Mic & Aux to the aftermarket headunit.

Last edited by kndonlee; 07-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
kndonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndonlee View Post
Ah hah. Once I get my radio, that 28pin connector is what I need to wire up the stock Mic & Aux to the aftermarket headunit.
Doing some research, the 28 to 20/8 pin connectors look like standard Subaru connectors.

The 20 pin portion appears to be the normal hookup (4 speakers, ignition, power, etc) and the 8 pin portion looks to be Subaru's Aux input. If I caught another Scion post correctly, there's 5 wires on the aux jack, but only 3 are used and the other 2 are for detection.

It would be really nice if someone could confirm whether the built-in jack is a TRS or TRRS connector. If it turned out to be a TRRS connector, then video could be routed with the appropriate wiring.

I want to say this is the 8pin aux hookup:
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4...plant8paux.jpg linked from:
http://ae64.com/NaviTransplantharness.htm
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
SVXdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
The one on the right is def sat radio harness.
No, it's definitely not. It's a reverse antenna adapter that fits the radio's AM/FM antenna socket. Converts to a Motorola socket (I've confirmed that from other pics I found).

That portion is identical to a Scosche reverse antenna adapter (minus the extra branch with the black rectangular plug):
Here are a couple of pics of the factory AM/FM antenna plug in the FR-S:

(posted by Juanito08 in his journal, here)
and...
Name:  2013 Scion FR-S factory radio harnesses Nitro.png
Views: 36220
Size:  594.0 KB
(posted by Nitro in his install thread, here)

On the adapter Robbie found, the portion with the 10-pin power/speaker plug/socket simply passes all but one of the wires straight through (pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.), and it changes how the power antenna control lead is wired.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
SVXdc

Quote:
Yes, except you'll need the opposite gender than the plug on Robbie's harness. BTW, I've been trying to find those, but it's looking like the only way to get them will be to commission a factory production run (many, many $).

Quote:
Doing some research, the 28 to 20/8 pin connectors look like standard Subaru connectors.

The 20 pin portion appears to be the normal hookup (4 speakers, ignition, power, etc) and the 8 pin portion looks to be Subaru's Aux input.
The 20-pin is 2 rows of 10 small pins. Toyotas have used that connector for years for aux and SWCs. Different from Subaru's 20-pin power/speaker harness, which has 2 larger pins and 18 small pins.

The 8-pin is like one some Subarus use, but pin-out and function is different.

That's why I'm hoping Robbie can post a few more pics looking straight down at the wires, so I can figure out which pin connects to which.

Quote:
It would be really nice if someone could confirm whether the built-in [aux] jack is a TRS or TRRS connector. If it turned out to be a TRRS connector, then video could be routed with the appropriate wiring.
Sorry, the jack is wired for audio only (3-pin). Tiny chance it could be a 4-pin TRRS inside, but I doubt it. Even if it were, you'd have to solder on a new lead.

Besides, the ALCP-W12U T1819 doesn't support video. The Impreza/Forester Fujitsu Ten nav doesn't do video on the aux input (no pins for it), and I suspect the aux input on the FR-S/BRZ FT nav is the same way.