follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Xbox One vs PS4
Xbox One 138 30.13%
PS4 283 61.79%
Undecided 56 12.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #477
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hope Sony can keep up with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Sony Raises Its Sales Forecast For PlayStation 4

To many gamers, Sony’s PlayStation 4 won E3 2013 decisively, with a competitive price, no used games restrictions, no online connection requirement, and a slew of games. And it’s apparently showing in the strong pre-order numbers for the console.

In a conversation with the Wall Street Journal, such a response was seemingly unexpected, and as such, Sony has increased its sales forecast as a result.

“Sony Corp is raising internal sales projections for the forthcoming PlayStation 4 videogame console amid positive signs about demand for the device,” according to the WSJ.

Unfortunately for those that didn’t pre-order early, however, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House admitted that “demand may well outstrip supply.” GameStop echoed this “sentiment” to the Wall Street Journal.

Did you pre-order a PlayStation 4? How about an Xbox One? Or are you waiting to see more before putting your hard-earned money on the counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
E3 2013: PS4 Outpacing Xbox One Pre-Orders

Early data for console pre-orders from major online retailers in the United States show consumers pre-ordered approximately three PS4 units for every two Xbox One consoles during the period between Monday June 10 to Wednesday June 12. While this is not an indication of future purchase intent, it does seem to suggest that Sony resonated louder with consumers during E3 2013 than Microsoft.

IGN users were unquestionably swayed by Sony’s messaging during this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo. We asked our readers who they thought was “winning E3” during the show. Over 280,000 of you responded, and Sony took the top spot with 81% of the votes. Microsoft garnered 12% and Nintendo grabbed the remaining 7%.

While Sony seems to have the advantage in the pre-order race at this point, Microsoft Games Studio VP Phil Spencer did respond to the recent consumer concerns over mandatory connectivity checks and the seemingly unfriendly approach towards used games and lending by saying, “this isn't a sprint. The platform launches this November; we've got more content to share."

Last edited by SnapOv3st3r; 06-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #478
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You know what else I can't stand? People making a big deal of Gamestop reselling games and supposedly eating in to developers income. So let's not blame the developers for lackluster games they half assed. Its just like the automotive idustry. We have makers who produce shitty cars and dealerships that make more money on used cars.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #479
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You know what else I can't stand? People making a big deal of Gamestop reselling games and supposedly eating in to developers income. So let's not blame the developers for lackluster games they half assed. Its just like the automotive idustry. We have makers who produce shitty cars and dealerships that make more money on used cars.
I don't have a big issue about them cutting into dev profits. The biggest problem I have is the discrepancy between the money they give you and the price they charge for the exact same game. As in, they give you $3 for a game they turn around and sell for $40. They're making their money by screwing YOU, not the developers lol. But people do it out of convenience since craigs list and ebay are a pain. lol. "I don't care what they give me I just want to get rid of my games!" That mindset is what keeps them in business. I just keep all my games. Never know when I might get an itch to play them and regret selling it. Been down that road before 2 generations ago.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #480
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going X1, most of the exclusives on either system are pretty "meh", so it really comes down to the fact I can't live without Halo and Forza 5. The extra $100 is not a huge deal although given the choice I'd ditch the useless Kinect camera.

Luckily for me Gran Turismo 6 is hitting the PS3 otherwise I'd have a lot more to think about.

I'll probably grab a PS4 when time Gran Turismo 7 comes around.

**I currently own both a PS3 and 360, but I primarily game on the 360.**
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #481
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here's the issue if I understand it correctly. When you buy a physical product it will eventually get wear and tear. A car is finite, and the cost drops because of wear. Well, as long as you can keep that metal and plastic intact on the disc of a game, which isn't going to wear down over time unless it's abused, it's no different than buying a brand new copy. The whole online-pass thing changed that to some degree, but it looks like publishers are getting rid of those now.

There are a lot of people who would rather save 5 bucks and buy a used game than a new one for just that reason - there's no difference. Some don't know the impact that has on the creators of the game (they get no money,) some know and don't care, and then there are people like me who generally won't buy used anyway unless it's out of print, because I want to support the creators and have money go to them instead.

I'm not against used games, but they do have a significant impact on the industry.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #482
speedy07

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
guys read this it might make you rethink to get a Xbox 1 :P
http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous...one-intentions
speedy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #483
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy07 View Post
guys read this it might make you rethink to get a Xbox 1 :P
http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous...one-intentions
That's not "new" stuff. He's just painting it in another light. He also has a vested interest in the success of the console, job security, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #484
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Microsoft took a big dump on the gamers in the name of IP and additional revenues, (whether it be 3rd party or not), with all of their requirements to play/resale/repurchase a game. Also if you haven't read about the evil eye yet, it will constantly analyzing you and your habits; every movie you watch, how many people are in the room watching it, what you are saying, and what you are wearing such as sport jerseys etc.This information will be used for marketing and advertising and at times additional charges when there are too many people watching a rented movie with you. Also, you will need to have a gold membership to even use the Netflix app (which is its own separate cost). The whole lockdown disk purchases/leases and the big brother camera that's always on is too 1984 for me. I have been an Xbox fan since its inception but I just preordered a PS4 for obvious reasons. My 360 will remain but no XBONE in my house.

http://i.imgur.com/5WXh32l.jpg

Last edited by Mango22; 06-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #485
BlueSTaR

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited & 16 Hyperblue
Seriously though, when you're reselling your game for like $7 at Gamestop, does it -REALLY- matter?
BlueSTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSTaR For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #486
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
I don't have a big issue about them cutting into dev profits. The biggest problem I have is the discrepancy between the money they give you and the price they charge for the exact same game. As in, they give you $3 for a game they turn around and sell for $40. They're making their money by screwing YOU, not the developers lol. But people do it out of convenience since craigs list and ebay are a pain. lol. "I don't care what they give me I just want to get rid of my games!" That mindset is what keeps them in business. I just keep all my games. Never know when I might get an itch to play them and regret selling it. Been down that road before 2 generations ago.
I understand they give you a shitty deal but it's better than having a game you no longer have the urge to play. Some games are like that. My cousin liked how he could trade in a game on a new game and pay like $40 then he would beat that same game quickly and put the trade on another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Here's the issue if I understand it correctly. When you buy a physical product it will eventually get wear and tear. A car is finite, and the cost drops because of wear. Well, as long as you can keep that metal and plastic intact on the disc of a game, which isn't going to wear down over time unless it's abused, it's no different than buying a brand new copy. The whole online-pass thing changed that to some degree, but it looks like publishers are getting rid of those now.

There are a lot of people who would rather save 5 bucks and buy a used game than a new one for just that reason - there's no difference. Some don't know the impact that has on the creators of the game (they get no money,) some know and don't care, and then there are people like me who generally won't buy used anyway unless it's out of print, because I want to support the creators and have money go to them instead.

I'm not against used games, but they do have a significant impact on the industry.
The problem is the game(CD unit) no longer belongs to the developer after the sale. A consumer can do whatever they want to do with it sale-wise and the same thing applies to cars. It doesn't make sense to buy something and it's not really yours after. If people feel like GameStop is a issue I hope to God they never buy something used. Because that's a contradiction.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #487
SUB-FT86
86 Member

And another thing if developers was hurting so much in this industry we would see a major reduction in games. But all I see is a ton of games slated to drop, hell didn't CoD sold an astronomical amount especially in 48 hrs? Mario games is still moving units regardless of how overdone it is. EA is still dropping tons of sports games. The developers that's out of the game made bad decisions and nobody bought there crap.

It's just like when GM and Chrysler made bad decisions and needed a bailout. Toyota didn't need a bailout because they made quality/reliability a priority.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #488
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Lewis Black on the Xbox One

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xKTse...%3DxKTseEpWrYc

Lmao...
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #489
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
And another thing if developers was hurting so much in this industry we would see a major reduction in games. But all I see is a ton of games slated to drop, hell didn't CoD sold an astronomical amount especially in 48 hrs? Mario games is still moving units regardless of how overdone it is. EA is still dropping tons of sports games. The developers that's out of the game made bad decisions and nobody bought there crap.

It's just like when GM and Chrysler made bad decisions and needed a bailout. Toyota didn't need a bailout because they made quality/reliability a priority.
You're looking at large publishers though. They aren't the ones that are affected generally. Well, they are, but they just close down the studios that are under them when their games underperform.

A lot of them will just throw out shovelware or rehash the same game every year without making significant changes because they know people will buy it. Remember all the Guitar Hero games? People stopped buying them because it was the same thing year after year. Now production of those games is halted and who knows if we'll ever see one again. But there are a lot of people loyal to a certain game or franchise and they'll buy that game day one. Some people might be a bit iffy, so they'll pick it up at Gamestop a week later for five bucks less. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to sell their stuff, but a used game sale is actually lost revenue for the developers and publishers.

There are many reasons that games don't perform well though, and a lot of the time quality isn't one of them. They could be released on the same day or a near window of another AAA well-known hit and get swept under the rug. They might not be marketed well so people don't know what's coming out, because all they see is the millions of dollars Activision has dumped into CoD ads. Some games do perform great, but the company gets shut down because the parent company or publisher decides they want to restructure. They own the IP now, so fuck the people that worked on the last one, we can get a new team together and save some cash. The game industry can be a dirty rotten place.

Bizarre Creations, THQ, Iron Lore, Kaos Studios, etc.. All gone the way of the dodo now.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #490
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Wow, so Amazon has a similar poll running on their video games Facebook page. Honestly I expected the PS4 to have a slight advantage, but not this much. 18:1, no way.

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideo...1317646&rest=1
Current results as of me posting this:
PS4: 35185
Xbox One: 1953

By all means go and vote for yourselves!