follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Xbox One vs PS4
Xbox One 138 30.13%
PS4 283 61.79%
Undecided 56 12.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #603
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango22 View Post
MS had dedicated and committed customers and instead of taking the 360 and just making better hardware to allow a better gaming experience, they felt it necessary to kick the hornets nest and basically put profits over culture. People arent mad because of what MS back-peddled on, they are pissed because this xbone is a corporate money machine. Kinect is so they can sell advertising.
Its disgusting to see the level of profit driven tactics MS implemented in the brick just to syphon more and more money from customers, or should i say consumers. I was a dedicated xbox fan since its inception but in way in hell will a xbone ever be in my home. Ill keep my 360 and i have preordered the PS4, which is a 1st for me. Preordering that is...
Announces something.

Criticized for hating consumers and being evil.

Changes plan and does what consumers want.

Criticized for hating consumes and being evil.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #604
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER View Post
Actually it is. You have to have an internet connection to even get on Steam and you have to have an internet connection to download the games. And SINCE WHEN has everyone became so anti-connectivity? Aren't they all online talking about how much they hate being online? haha
Actually Steam operates just fine in offline mode, you only are required to connect in order to play online or get updates, etc. It's not about being AGAIST connecting online, it's about simply having the freedom to use the products offline if necessary.

I'm not a Microsoft hater, in fact I'm largely a supporter, but I do disagree with some of their practices and how they force things on us:

Microsoft's "always online" policy was completely unnecessary outside of their desire to control and monitor what you're doing. Make it a requirement for certain circumstances, sure (like updates, playing online, browsing/streaming), but ALWAYS? I can think of several scenarios where online connectivity might be difficult or impossible. MS shot themselves in the foot by saying "deal with it" and "just use the 360".

The ability to trade in, borrow, and buy used disc games has been a staple for many people, and Microsoft suddenly eliminated it for no real reason other than more artificial control.

I really like the concept of the "shared family library" for sharing with friends, but they REALLY shot themselves in the foot by not explaining the details. Too much confusion, too many questions, too much change to the culture, all too soon. Let it evolve while the dust settles, and then these ideas can flourish. Even Steam is apparently looking into "library sharing"... But here it's the natural evolution of a platform, not a huge culture shift as it would have been with consoles.

Also, (several years ago) when MS changed the 360 dashboard to require everyone to use these stupid cartoon avatars, WTF, WHY? Why was this forced on everyone? Well, honestly, it was all just something to make money from microtransactions.

It just feels as though MS is saying "this is what you love doing, and this is how you're going to do it." They're trying to be innovators which we all appreciate, but it feels more restricted, forced, and artificial now, because they haven't even worked out the details yet. It's the little things that nibble on our freedom of choice that eventually make them disappear.

I'm not syaing that Sony is completely innocent, but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe they're introducing new fewtures that you can choose to ignore, if you wish. MS has either made honest mistakes in how they're portraying themselves, or it was done on purpose so they can look like heros by responding to expected resistance. It all reminds me of how CCP started changing things with EVE Online, and players started a rebellion. CCP listened, and now their fanbase is stronger than ever. Hopefully MS will begin listening more and developing products that create stronger fanbase, instead of simply telling us what we are going to do because we've no other choice.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Luis_GT (06-21-2013), slicktop (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #605
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
The thing that I think sucks the most about it is just that it is really a coin toss now. At least before there was an option. You want to try out this new system and see how it goes? Buy a Xbox One. You want to just game like you have since you were 8 years old? Buy a PS4. Now it is just whether or not you want to pay an extra $100 to have Kinect or not.
And have someone watch you while you're having sexy time with your partner or yourself.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #606
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Announces something.

Criticized for hating consumers and being evil.

Changes plan and does what consumers want.

Criticized for hating consumes and being evil.

Lol...Stop deflecting the truth. Something tells me u work for MS or have been employeed to do damage control. Passive aggressive tactics dont work. :-)
Waiting 4 ur next trite response to blindly defend the x-bone.
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #607
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
MS had dedicated and committed customers and instead of taking the 360 and just making better hardware to allow a better gaming experience, they felt it necessary to kick the hornets nest and basically put profits over culture. People arent mad because of what MS back-peddled on, they are pissed because this xbone is a corporate money machine. Kinect is so they can sell advertising.
Its disgusting to see the level of profit driven tactics MS implemented in the brick just to syphon more and more money from customers, or should i say consumers. I was a dedicated xbox fan since its inception but in way in hell will a xbone ever be in my home. Ill keep my 360 and i have preordered the PS4, which is a 1st for me. Preordering that is...
Oh snap! I forgot that MS is some profit hungry corporation hell-bent on world domination and Sony and Apple are non-profit organizations run by unicorns determined to make world peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
And have someone watch you while you're having sexy time with your partner or yourself.
Exactly, so if you aren't into voyeur, you just saved yourself $100!
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #608
VADER
Regional Moderator

Drives: VADER 86
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I hope you're kidding haha
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #609
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Oh snap! I forgot that MS is some profit hungry corporation hell-bent on world domination and Sony and Apple are non-profit organizations run by unicorns determined to make world peace.
You are naive if you don't think the MS X-bone was developed from a purely "increase" revenue perspective. Makes sense from a business perspective but gamers never asked for this. Xbox should be known as "the next level in revenue experience" instead of gaming experience.

Secondly, MS would have been able to continue to dominate the console industry if they didn't try to force this revenue brick on us. Their presentation at E3 and in their follow up interviews (those that weren't canceled) only reiterated the arrogance and disregard their corporate level management has for the priority of the gaming culture.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KbWgU...%3DKbWgUO-Rqcw

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7...amage-control/

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Oey0C...%3DOey0C7fBBvE

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...aring-response

Last edited by Mango22; 06-21-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #610
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I chuckled.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
SUB-FT86 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #611
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
You are naive if you don't think the MS X-bone was developed from a purely "increase" revenue perspective. Makes sense from a business perspective but gamers never asked for this. Xbox should be known as "the next level in revenue experience" instead of gaming experience.
You are naive if you think anything done on the PS4 by Sony was for anything other than revenue. The only reason Microsoft changed from what they were going to do, was for revenue as well, not because they "care about the gamer".

Sony is not a exempt. MS took the risky approach of trying to make more revenue, Sony took the less risky approach. Both are trying to make as much revenue as they can.

Welcome to capitalism, stop being angry at companies for trying to maximize profit.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #612
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Quote:
You are naive if you think anything done on the PS4 by Sony was for anything other than revenue. The only reason Microsoft changed from what they were going to do, was for revenue as well, not because they "care about the gamer".

Sony is not a exempt. MS took the risky approach of trying to make more revenue, Sony took the less risky approach. Both are trying to make as much revenue as they can.

Welcome to capitalism, stop being angry at companies for trying to maximize profit.
Microsoft- focuses on revenue 1st and loses gaming consumers as a result...
Sony - focuses on gaming culture and additional revenue follows...

It's how capitalism works and doesn't work that I was pointing out. Duh!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #613
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Microsoft- focuses on revenue 1st and loses gaming consumers as a result...
Some of us actually liked the changes Microsoft were making. In fact, I would argue that most of the more "hardcore gamers" liked the changes and the "casual gamers" were up in arms. Which means Microsoft was catering more to their dedicated gamers and Sony was catering more to the masses. The latter would of course be more direct sales and profits. All speculation of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
Sbeezy (06-22-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #614
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Where's the PC option?
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #615
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Some of us actually liked the changes Microsoft were making. In fact, I would argue that most of the more "hardcore gamers" liked the changes and the "casual gamers" were up in arms. Which means Microsoft was catering more to their dedicated gamers and Sony was catering more to the masses. The latter would of course be more direct sales and profits. All speculation of course.
I liked what Microsoft has done with their xboxone. As a average consumer its more appealing than the PS4 because its a media hub than a gaming console.

I'm a casual gamer, no longer a real accepted part of the gaming culture regardless if i own 10+ titles.

IMO right now theres a big split right down the middle rather than a fine line between PS4/Xbox1. Seemingly the PS4 is a console for gamers, and the xbox1 is a device that caters to a wider audience outside gaming, just as you said

eg. I know a lot of people getting xbox1 because of fantasyfootball app and ESPN live. + skype, and TV/MOVIE/GAME switching. All of which can be done on a single device and a single controller. vs having several devices and several controllers to do the exact same thing on your big screen. Never had i heard about gaming or the excitement of gaming for those who are getting xbox1.

When i hear about people who are excited about the next gen console and the games they will get to play, they are pretty gunghoe about getting a PS4.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #616
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
I liked what Microsoft has done with their xboxone. As a average consumer its more appealing than the PS4 because its a media hub than a gaming console.

I'm a casual gamer, no longer a real accepted part of the gaming culture regardless if i own 10+ titles.

IMO right now theres a big split right down the middle rather than a fine line between PS4/Xbox1. Seemingly the PS4 is a console for gamers, and the xbox1 is a device that caters to a wider audience outside gaming, just as you said

eg. I know a lot of people getting xbox1 because of fantasyfootball app and ESPN live. + skype, and TV/MOVIE/GAME switching. All of which can be done on a single device and a single controller. vs having several devices and several controllers to do the exact same thing on your big screen. Never had i heard about gaming or the excitement of gaming for those who are getting xbox1.

When i hear about people who are excited about the next gen console and the games they will get to play, they are pretty gunghoe about getting a PS4.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm an old gamer (used to be hardcore in my teen years) but all I wanted was better graphics without all the doodads that are just there to take money out of your pockets (the problem comes when you have to pay for things you don't use). There's so much ways to watch movies and series now I think the xbox one is great if you want a one solution for all but alot of people like me, (and most of my friends!) just want a console to turn one and play games on it..just like all my old console I ever had.

I really hate that the ps4 will requires PS+ to play online. But I guess that's the way the world goes now.