follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just saw a kid's 2008 STi with about 60k on it. The Alcantara looked fine but the color was fading off the LH side leather bolster. I'd be more concerned about the leather than the Alcantara.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
TurnOne

Drives: BRZ Ltd. WR Blue 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaskrayon View Post
The seats will be fine. I think the reason the steering wheels was gross is because it is touched by greasy or sweating hands. Your hand is never in the same position every single time either. You're always moving your hands all over the wheel. The seat, however, you sit and don't really slide around so it's not going to wear as much.

Jeans should be fine, unless you have many rivets or or studs on your pockets. I had a Evo IX and the seats looked damn near brand new when I sold it. There was slight wear on the leather portion, but the alcantara looked new
Agree with everything this ^ and I also had an Evo IX and the leather had some wear, but the alcantara looked almost perfect after 90K+ miles.

Chris
TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Another datapoint:

I had a 2004 STi and owned it from 2005 to 2011. The Alcantara on the seats didn't really wear much and I had a baby seat in the car a lived in VA where it got cold/muggy and we had snow and salt.

I wouldn't really worry about it. It's resilient stuff. I will echo what others said. Alcantara steering wheels will wear out and have to be recovered. Apparently the oils in our hands break it down. I was also told that if you have an Alcantara wheel you shouldn't use hand lotions or oils because they will work towards wearing down the wheel.

I'll still probably spend money on a suede or alcantara wheel. <nods head in the direction of jpmcoachworks>
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
its probably a solid 5 years too early to say how the interior is gonna hold up
lol....too funny. I have seven miles on mine and it's holding up great!!!!!!!

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
Pascal_TTH

Drives: Subaru BRZ soon
In 2001, I buy an Opel Astra Linea Blue special edition with *real* or true alcantara (it's a registered trade brand). I sold it to my brother, he keeps the car for more than six or seven years (about 160000 km) and alcantara was still fine. Alcantara does not peal off but it is very sensitive to oil and grease.

I really enjoy leather and alcantara seats. I even prefer this combination because seats have better grip.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
ShoNUFF
Who's the BADDEST?

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - Crystal Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Had alacantara in my Mazdaspeed 3. Held up perfectly for 3 years and 50K miles.

SHO-NUFF!
ShoNUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #35
Tambat

Drives: B5 S4 k04'd +
i'm an audi guy and i have been around many different generations of audi's. they have been offering alcantara in their cars since 2000 in the us (originally in the b5 s4). The stuff holds up well, but it will definitely age. like some people said, its never going to be too expensive to just have the seats re-done, but for those of you that would rather maintain it, there are some pretty simple steps that i follow that get the job done pretty nicely.

the stuff will start to look "loose" if that makes sense. the material won't look as tightly woven and eventually it will start to "pil" up. thats when the material starts bunching up like an old rug or couch. all you need is a fabric shaver (you can buy one online or at any fabric shop) and a mach 3 razor to do a fine shave afterwards. to clean alcantara, all you need is a warm damp rag, but what us audi guys have figured out is that a magic clean eraser dipped into a very diluted solution of water and dish soap works extremely well. its pretty easy to maintain, but it won't look new forever.

i could be wrong though, i don't know if they have updated the material over the years. my experience comes from the stuff that was made between 99-02.

** be VERY careful about the detergents you use to clean alcantara. i have seen threads where guys have used "specifically for alcantara" type cleaners that have accelerated the wear of their seats and made the weave not as "tight" as it used to be. my recommendation is just use a damp rag. if you have oils or heavy stains, just be careful. most upholstery cleaners should not be used on alcantara.
Tambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tambat For This Useful Post:
jimmillion (02-07-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
breaksjm

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS Limited 6-speed
I've had several cars with Alcantara. From my experience it has help up amazingly over time. Granted, I never kept the cars past 60k miles, but it hold up much better than leather, and even other cloths.
breaksjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #37
PSim

Drives: BRZ or FR-S (soon)
I'd be interested to hear about how your Alcantara seats are holding up now.
PSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #38
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Wow! This must've been one of my very first posts :P I ended up getting the Limited a month after my original post and I'm happy to say the alcantara has held up very nicely. I haven't even washed it or scrubbed it even though I bought the tools two years ago lol. I mainly wear hospital scrubs, so the wear is minimal imo.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #39
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Garage
My seats are holding up perfectly. They would absolutely look brand new if it weren't for the left side seat bolsters getting creases and little scuffs on them from getting in and out of the car.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #40
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
12K miles on mine. Alcantara is fine. Now, the leather on the other hand...
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #41
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
My seats are holding up perfectly. They would absolutely look brand new if it weren't for the left side seat bolsters getting creases and little scuffs on them from getting in and out of the car.

That's where mine shows wear too. The alcantara looks perfect, and most of the leather looks good. The only part that is starting to look worn is the left side of the driver's seat. I'm not a very big guy, and try to be careful about how I get in/out of the car, but it didn't seem to help.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #42
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I'm not a very big guy, and try to be careful about how I get in/out of the car, but it didn't seem to help.
Its just this car, I'm a relatively young guy, 5'6" build. always am sliding against the bolsters when I'm in and out of the thing. Really hoping I can keep the wear from getting too bad.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote