follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #71
elenien

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Searched for "car neck pillow"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+neck+pillow"]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+neck+pillow[/ame]
elenien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elenien For This Useful Post:
TuxedoCartman (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #72
pr0j

Drives: 2010 Forester X
OP, just turn the headrest around and wear a helmet wherever you go safe and secure.
pr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pr0j For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (01-02-2013), ~el~jefe~ (12-27-2016)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #73
IceCreamMan
Decepticon

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt 6MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have not experienced this in normal day to day driving but I just recently went from Tampa to baton route over two days and both times the only thing that bothered me was my neck getting a little sore. I was constantly rubbing it by the end of the drive. However the pain was gone pretty much as soon as I got out of the car.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #74
elenien

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamMan View Post
I have not experienced this in normal day to day driving but I just recently went from Tampa to baton route over two days and both times the only thing that bothered me was my neck getting a little sore. I was constantly rubbing it by the end of the drive. However the pain was gone pretty much as soon as I got out of the car.
Sigh... mine was doing that within mins of getting in the car. It was really very frustrating. Then again, my neck is already messed up from years at a stressful job; it doesn't take all that much to bother it.
elenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #75
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
do the headrests have a tilt adjustment?
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #76
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Bro, if they had tilt adjustment, people would not be bitching.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frostyman For This Useful Post:
meWant (01-01-2013), Sport-Tech (08-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #77
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It would add a bit of weight, but one of those active headrest restraint mechanisms such as the Volvos have now would solve this problem - they allow the "resting" position of the headrest to be further back since they move forward automatically in an accident. Maybe a third party has one that would work with the 86? Although on further thought they no doubt require a totally different seat.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #78
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I'm certainly going to go for at least one Recaro Sportster seat myself, and am thrilled to hear about aftermarket seat manufacturers producing them with airbags now. Unfortunately, I haven't had time in the last couple of days to take a measuring tape to the car to make sure they'll fit, nor done any of the other research I'd like to do before purchasing them. I did read that the wires for the airbag on the seat are such that it's not a direct plug-and-play, but rather going to have to have some electrical knowledge and use of a soldering iron to adapt it to the FR-S. No biggie, but still something to consider.

The one thing I want to make certain of is that it doesn't throw an airbag fault-light on the dash. So long as the current resistance is the same, or within acceptable parameters, as the stock one, everything should be fine. But if not, then it gets trickier.

Still... I can't wait to have a pair of these in red in my car!
(Funny, I said I was only going to get one, and now I'm thinking of them as a pair! Oh, curse you money-pit of a car! Will not the Volks and Cusco braces be enough for you, must you take every last penny I have? Oh, what's that... my kidney too? Dammit!)
Benefit of getting two buckets: no fat chicks, EVER. Side note: a WRX at a local shop had some sick Recaro fixed back buckets (probably no airbags) that were SO body hugging...omg.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #79
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenien View Post
Being female and 5' 5", I'm not sure my issues with the headrest are the same as everyone else, but I really do hate them. I sit mostly straight and they give my upper shoulders and neck no support whatsoever when my head is "properly" hitting the headrest. My solution? I bought one of those travel pillows and put it around the base. It looks a little silly, but it makes things a great deal better and only cost $14
If you're tired of using the pillow, you can also try moving the seat bottom forward one notch and reclining the seat-back 1-2 notches. Worked like a charm for me and I love these seats now.

The seats don't seem to be designed for an upright seating position IMO.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
karbon (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #80
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
You've tried reclining the seat just a tad and extending the steering column (telescope) to get situated?
In most cars that do have low roofs, seats are sort of always done this way it seems, as the Ferrari F355 I had the same issue, somewhat solved by doing that as well. The upright position is pretty much the preferred way in motorsports customs, but slightly reclined still, as long as all controls are still within operational reach and strength being ideal still, I've learned to cope in such cars like Formula Suzuki and Formula Atlantic.
^^ This.

I've always sat the way TuxedoCartman describes (NASCAR style is how I'd describe it) and have lately been discovering that newer cars seem to force you to recline or reverse the headrest.

Luckily for me, reclining the seat back only one or two detentes from my usual position is enough to make it comfortable for me.

I wish tilting headrests were more commonplace.
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #81
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
sitting a few more degrees back isnt an issue for me. i sit pretty upright in my camry but in the frs i need to lean back a slight bit more to be comfortable.
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #82
Laurie

Drives: Toyota86, MX5, Jeep, FJ45, 59 Caddy
I have a slightly larger than average head and the headrests are a real pain for me. It's in contact with my head in a normal seating / driving position and actually pushes my head forwards. I don't like it one bit.

I've found the headrests from the Yaris appear to fit ME better and I'm waiting on a set of those to come in through spare parts. Will update when I actually get them.

They're just a bit further back and that gives me a more comfortable seating position but they're still very close and would support my head in an accident. Being a Toyota OEM part as well, I'm confident they're strong enough and up to the task.

Your results may vary, do so at your own risk.

2013 Toyota 86 - 2008 Mazda MX5
2001 Jeep Wrangler - 1982 FJ-45 Land Cruiser Pick-Up
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurie For This Useful Post:
coyote (01-06-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #83
sikest

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
I had this same issue with the 2011 5.0 Mustang and just turned them around until the aftermarket came up with adjustable ones with matching leather.

Hey aftermarket, here is something people obviously want and are willing to spend money on!!!
sikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #84
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I found it odd at first. I'd wager I have the largest head on the board (Arai XXL only helmet that fits and it's squishy) I recline only 3 clicks from the first "lock" (4-5 clicks with the helmet on). Key was to move the seat forward to the point where you can put your heel on the clutch all the way to the floor easy. Ie, more forward than I normally would - then adjust the wheel back as needed so you can rest your wrists on the top of it.

And just a quibble - it's a head RESTRAINT not a head rest. Your head should not touch it when sitting normally. It also needs to be higher than the top of your head because your body lifts in an impact. If the top of the restraint was in the middle of your skull, you could snap your neck on a hard hit. Flipping it around is as stupid as taking it out IMO. The IIHS crash test results are partly due to the passive factory restraints. Some older ones actually tilt forward in a crash but better to just be there normally.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote