follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
denverizzles

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
is this worth doing

so as we all sit here and wait for the aftermarket to develop for the FR-S; i find myself struggling between NA mods for the interim, until the FI market matures. Is it worth getting up-pipe, down-pipe, headers, full-exhuast, intake, pulley, tune, etc...if at the end of it you're going to go FI anyways.

I'd just hate to spend a couple grand on all those parts and then in a couple years know I won't be able to use them on my FI system.

denverizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
If the current state of aftermarket exhausts for the FR-S/BRZ is any indication, I doubt you can go wrong with at least a catback. All of them show gains, some more than others, and all of them accentuate the sound of your car in some way. If you are going to wait for an FI solution to "mature" you're probably looking at at least a couple years before buying one. In the interim why not splurge on a decent catback since if you arent going for an N/A max hp solution it cant hurt.

What seems to be emerging from the progress made by tuners is that tuning the car with systems like EcuTek is where the real gains for N/A setups will be made. Of course tuning with full systems will yield better results, but if your plan in the grand scheme of things is to go FI you are better off waiting for headers and downpipe/crosspipe because you might decide on a kit that wont support what's available now. With a catback you are pretty safe since almost every manufacturer building FI kits will take into consideration the huge inventory of catbacks that will be on the market by the time FI kits are proven.

Just my 2 cents.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If I had plans to go FI, I sure wouldn't spend all that money just to 'tide me over' for a few months to a couple years. It's a big waste of time and money.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
not sure how it is with turboing boxer motors, but if you plan to go FI, i would not recommend getting a header, then. On most inline 4's I've seen, the exhaust manifolds for turbos ones look entirely different and aren't compatible with a turbo set up. Again, not familiar with turboing boxer motors, but this is what I've seen on inline 4's
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Also apart from just the tubing design is the diameter. Seems like most NA applications are going 2.5". A lot of turbo setups will head straight for 3".
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
epson1
Banned

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
not sure how it is with turboing boxer motors, but if you plan to go FI, i would not recommend getting a header, then. On most inline 4's I've seen, the exhaust manifolds for turbos ones look entirely different and aren't compatible with a turbo set up. Again, not familiar with turboing boxer motors, but this is what I've seen on inline 4's
I can't tell if you're serious or not...
epson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson1 For This Useful Post:
whitejdm (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epson1 View Post
Well yeah... The turbo manifolds are different from a regular NA header. Completely different design. As I mentioned, I have no clue about making an NA boxer turbo'd or what the designs look like for the factory turbo'd ones. But from the I4's i've seen, if you buy an NA header and want to turbo, you just wasted money

Edit:

what's the difference?

with the NA header, the turbo isn't taken into consideration for the design/placement. But like I said, I'm only familiar with I4's

Last edited by Propaganda; 08-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epson1 View Post

Bahahahahaha.............
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote