follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Tamukas

Drives: Clean
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
12 volt impulse

Hi guys,

I have been searching for a while if anyone had a similar problem, but it seems that I am the only one Basically I installed a backup camera and it seems to only work when I start my brz in reverse gear (when the camera is activated and the headunit can detect it), then it works normaly, whenever i backup. But if I start the car in lets say neutral, the camera dosent work. So I thought that I should wire a 12V impulse to headunit. Maybe anyone knows where could I find a power source that only lasts a few seconds when starting the car?

Any help is appreciated!
Tamukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
try the 12V starter wire.
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
How did you hook up power to the reverse cam? Im guessing you used your reverse lights.

As the head unit powers on it runs through a series of checks, one of them being the reverse cam. It doesn't matter if you have no camera or not it will run through this test. During this test the head unit temporally turns on the reverse camera trigger circuit and your camera must be powered on for the head unit to see a camera and it will work form then on. In your case when you start your car in reverse there is power applied to the reverse light and turning on the camera so the head unit sees the camera is on and the test is good. When you start in neutral or another other gear no power to reverse light means no power to camera so the head unit reads this as no camera present. This is why your camera works when the car is started in reverse and does not work when started in any other gear.

In my 2013 Camry, head unit works the same as far as the reverse cam goes, I used a standard 5 pole relay. The switch circuit was the 6v reverse camera power from the head unit and the the power for the camera was from the cig light plug. This way when the head unit does its check it powers on its 6v reverse camera circuit, triggers relay, and then pulls 12v from the cig lighter. This way its good from then on. This 6v from the head unit is only on during this test and when the car is in reverse. The reason it's 6v is because Toyota uses 6v reverse cameras. The Reverse trigger wire hooked up normally, sounds like yours is fine.

There is a thread just for reverse camera installs, its pretty through. Read through that and you will find the proper way to hook up the camera.

Last edited by KnightRyderx2; 03-06-2017 at 10:39 AM.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Tamukas

Drives: Clean
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
How did you hook up power to the reverse cam? Im guessing you used your reverse lights.

As the head unit powers on it runs through a series of checks, one of them being the reverse cam. It doesn't matter if you have no camera or not it will run through this test. During this test the head unit temporally turns on the reverse camera trigger circuit and your camera must be powered on for the head unit to see a camera and it will work form then on. In your case when you start your car in reverse there is power applied to the reverse light and turning on the camera so the head unit sees the camera is on and the test is good. When you start in neutral or another other gear no power to reverse light means no power to camera so the head unit reads this as no camera present. This is why your camera works when the car is started in reverse and does not work when started in any other gear.

In my 2013 Camry, head unit works the same as far as the reverse cam goes, I used a standard 5 pole relay. The switch circuit was the 6v reverse camera power from the head unit and the the power for the camera was from the cig light plug. This way when the head unit does its check it powers on its 6v reverse camera circuit, triggers relay, and then pulls 12v from the cig lighter. This way its good from then on. This 6v from the head unit is only on during this test and when the car is in reverse. The reason it's 6v is because Toyota uses 6v reverse cameras. The Reverse trigger wire hooked up normally, sounds like yours is fine.

There is a thread just for reverse camera installs, its pretty through. Read through that and you will find the proper way to hook up the camera.
You are right, I wired the cam dirrectly into the reverse lights, because it seemed to be easier at that moment. I will try to wire it the propper way Thank you for your reply! Great idea with the relay btw.
Tamukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamukas View Post
You are right, I wired the cam dirrectly into the reverse lights, because it seemed to be easier at that moment. I will try to wire it the propper way Thank you for your reply! Great idea with the relay btw.
No problem.

There is a few ways to do it. One is the way I did it, I prefer this way because its solid and works properly. Another is to hook the camera up to an 12v ignition source, but your camera will be on all the time. Yea, I have heard of people doing it this way. Another is to just use the 6v reverse power from the deck to power the camera. Some 12v cameras work with the 6v power source and some don't, its a hit or miss. I've heard some work good but others have lines, are miss colored, have static, or blink on or off.

Its an easy fix and what you did is kind of a common thing because back in the day, the way you did it, that was fine. Now not so much anymore. Good luck
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't know what year you have but in my 2013 CDN brz headunit there's a feature where you can view the reverse camera all the time.

For this reason I wired the camera to a 12v source that's always on when the car is on. So that if one day I decide to add a hitch and tow something, I can keep an eye on it with my reverse camera.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote