follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
2013 BRZ replacement starter, correct part help

Hello. I've been unable to drive my baby due to my issue detailed here. I believe that I may need a new starter. Wanted to know if anyone had the correct part/location for me to order.

Still open to figuring out what the hell is going on with my car. Coils were another option for what may be causing it not to start.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It would be really unusual for the starter to fail on any modern car in only 2-3 years. The last starter I replaced was in 1992 on my 1988 Taurus.

If your car cranks (meaning the starter spins the engine over), then the problem is not the starter
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-30-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftateofmind View Post
Hello. I've been unable to drive my baby due to my issue detailed here. I believe that I may need a new starter. Wanted to know if anyone had the correct part/location for me to order.

Still open to figuring out what the hell is going on with my car. Coils were another option for what may be causing it not to start.

What makes you think its the starter? Take it to a dealer for diagnosis
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftateofmind View Post

After reading your other thread, I get the feeling that you would be better off doing what @FRSBRZGT86FAN suggested and take it into a shop/dealer.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
From your other thread

In short,

On the highway in 4th, heard an odd noise, slow down as I'm making my exit, get down the gears proper to neutral before the light, no power.

All my lights cut on as if I just turned on the car for the electronics only. Same thing continues to happen when I try to start it now. It'll click, the electronics come on, but the engine won't start. No issues this morning driving to work, really not sure what's wrong.

That's very unlikely to be caused by the starter motor.

It likely to be and electrical issue that's caused the engine to shut down.

Best to take it to a shop unless your skilled at diagnostics and have obd scantool and multimeters wiring diagrams.

you would be better off scanning for fault codes via obd port. Might give a clue. and checking fuses and fusible links.

Heard of a couple of cars that had wiring short under bonnet, somewhere round the direct injection wiring loom from memory and it takes out main ecu fuse.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0EMCBYpOo"]BRZ 2013 won't start - YouTube[/ame]
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
take to shop and borrow a obd2 reader maybe something will show up. have them take a look they'll possibly even quick check for free (try several place, they might give you some inaccurate info)

if some does come up for example starter or alternator or etc call in toyota/scion and have them transfer you to parts department than ask them.

good luck friend
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:02 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
OH for crying out loud get the battery checked properly. Between these two threads the battery was mentioned so many times that I can not figure out why it has been cast aside for other scenarios. Every single symptom points to a bad battery. Trying to boost it once does not constitute a check.
The starter would not come into play with about 90% of the issues described. A $5 meter from any discount shop will tell you the volts and amps and then you can go from there.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-30-2016), humfrz (04-30-2016), turtlefeeder (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:21 AM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
OH for crying out loud get the battery checked properly. Between these two threads the battery was mentioned so many times that I can not figure out why it has been cast aside for other scenarios. Every single symptom points to a bad battery. Trying to boost it once does not constitute a check.
The starter would not come into play with about 90% of the issues described. A $5 meter from any discount shop will tell you the volts and amps and then you can go from there.

Hence the comment to just go to the dealer, with all his/her fiddling around he's sure to blow something out. I wouldn't trust him to work on it anymore
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Hence the comment to just go to the dealer, with all his/her fiddling around he's sure to blow something out. I wouldn't trust him to work on it anymore
As I find so often here people want to skip the basics and jump to the most extreme of any possible issues/solutions.
Check for codes? Replace starters? And my favourite in this case was the coil. Electrical issues you need to start with battery, move to fuses, onto relays, then to mechanicals and motors. Not to mention that the BRZs have an often discussed issue with batteries dying even if we haven't figured out just why yet.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
As I find so often here people want to skip the basics and jump to the most extreme of any possible issues/solutions.
Check for codes? Replace starters? And my favourite in this case was the coil. Electrical issues you need to start with battery, move to fuses, onto relays, then to mechanicals and motors. Not to mention that the BRZs have an often discussed issue with batteries dying even if we haven't figured out just why yet.
I've noticed that as well and it doesn't seem like some statistical error. It seems that most of the BR-Zs seem to have more starter/battery issues than the FR-S in the issues section. I've got a feeling it's got to do more with the fact it uses more power in a parked state than the FR-S. It has a different alarm system than the FR-S (in fact it actually has an alarm) as well as the keyless entry fob detection active all the time. I surmise this may cause a bit more extra wear on the battery than the FR-S. Most likely Monograms, 10 Series, and RS 1.0s with the same alarm and key-less entry system should suffer the same issues that would totally narrow it down.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I've noticed that as well and it doesn't seem like some statistical error. It seems that most of the BR-Zs seem to have more starter/battery issues than the FR-S in the issues section. I've got a feeling it's got to do more with the fact it uses more power in a parked state than the FR-S. It has a different alarm system than the FR-S (in fact it actually has an alarm) as well as the keyless entry fob detection active all the time. I surmise this may cause a bit more extra wear on the battery than the FR-S. Most likely Monograms, 10 Series, and RS 1.0s with the same alarm and key-less entry system should suffer the same issues that would totally narrow it down.
I have been watching this for a year (there is a tread someplace) and the reported issues are 10 to 1 BRZs. Since the FRS outnumbers them by about the same we are looking at a huge variance. I also suspect it is all the goodies on the BRZ creating a parasitic draw that the majority of FRSs are not subject to. Since the battery was probably speced to the FRS system (majority rules) it may not be up to the BRZ demands.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 AM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I have been watching this for a year (there is a tread someplace) and the reported issues are 10 to 1 BRZs. Since the FRS outnumbers them by about the same we are looking at a huge variance. I also suspect it is all the goodies on the BRZ creating a parasitic draw that the majority of FRSs are not subject to. Since the battery was probably speced to the FRS system (majority rules) it may not be up to the BRZ demands.

Also the stock Panasonic battery isn't too good, I remember when the car first came out a few people were having issues with the battery only lasting 2-3 years
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
nunonuna (01-06-2018)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
For such a big heavy battery, it is pretty light duty. IIRC, the CCA rating is only 390. My lawn tractor has more than that.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Not to hijack the thread but since we are on a battery discussion I'm looking to replace my original 2013 Panasonic before the next winter. Any good suggestions? I use to go to Red Tops but that was years ago.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote