follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Hello from down under!

Hi all!

I know this is a forum for 86/FR-S and BRZs. First off, do you guys get the JDM Toyota 86 'Limited' like we do in Australia or do you guys get the Scion FR-S?

2nd question, i'm heading over to your land @ Xmas eve for the first time. I Was wonder what's the climate/weather like in Ontario(Toronto, Ottawa...etc) and Vancouver between Xmas eve and first week of the new year.

Been doing some research on the net and lonely planet but most of the things are for spring or summer, was wondering if you guys got some places that you recommend checking out during the winter season? I'm up for anything action, scenic, historic places and places that best represents Canada(e.g. representation of Australia is Sydney Harbor bridge, Sydney Opera house, Ares Rock in Uluru...etc).

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
That time of the year theres nothing except coldness in toronto and rain all day every day in vancouver. Most ppl just stay in shopping malls.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Vancouver will be warmer than Toronto, and Ottawa will be colder still.

While you're in Ottawa definitely check out the parliament buildings and the byward market.

If you can, go check out Whistler/Blackcomb when you're in Vancouver. It's about 140km's from Vancouver, but well worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
davey90 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
jjkerr626

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Don't be so glum everyone...there are lots of things to do in a winter wonderland such as Canada.

Toronto - visit CN Tower if its a clear day, drive to Niagara Falls, possibly the Ripleys Aquarium will be open than in Toronto.

If you want to try skiing or tubing you could visit Blue Mountain in Collingwood, about an hour and a half north of Toronto.

Also there is an underground city in Toronto called The P.A.T.H. That is a neat thing to explore. Mostly shops and pathways around the towers of the city.

Either way have fun!
Performance Parts: Innovate Motorsports Supercharger, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Borla UEL Header, Perrin Cold Air Intake, Perrin Cat Back Exhaust, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing, Perrin Transmission Bushing, Perrin Master Cylinder Brace, Billet Pro Short Shifter. Handling Parts: Perrin Control Arm Braces, Perrin PSRS Offset Steering System, Perrin 22mm Front & 22mm Rear Sway Bars, Perrin Spherical Rear Endlinks
jjkerr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Brently
Grey Wind

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #0065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've travelled extensively across Canada and lived on both coasts.

Vancouver: Lots of great restaurants in Vancouver. Go to a Korean BBQ restaurant or a "hot pot". It's a neat experience. Kitsilano is my favorite area in the city. It's a bit uppity, but I get the small town vibe there (which I love). Great area for walking around and exploring the shops.Yes, expect it to be cool and rainy--all the time. Take a 2 hr drive to Whistler if you can. The drive is gorgeous, and Whistler is where many of the 2010 Winter Olympic events took place. There are some good photo opportunities: mountains, lakes, Olympic Rings (in Whistler village). Also-- there are A LOT of Aussies in Whistler. I remember eating at a pizza place there that was run exclusively by Aussies. You will feel right at home!

Victoria (Vancouver Island): This is a MUST. To be honest-- Vancouver is too crowded for me now that I am older and I don't enjoy it the way I used to. Take the ferry to Vancouver Island to visit Victoria (the capital of BC). Eat at One Fish Two Fish at the pier (best seafood I've ever had and longest lineup of my life). Go to Royal Roads University (see my avatar picture) -- The castle on campus has been used in the first X-Men movie, Smallville (Lex Luthor's mansion), and most recently Oliver Queen's mansion on the tv show Arrow. The history of the castle is fascinating too.

Seattle, WA, USA: If you have the chance to go to Seattle (you are sooooooo close!) Do it. One of my favourite cities in the USA. Visit the very first Starbucks store at Pike Place Market. Lots of great photo opportunities and bragging rights. The space needle is my second favourite tower I have ever photographed (Eiffel wins this round). The drive from Vancouver to Seattle is gorgeous too but a bit longer... (4 hrs ??) Don't quote me on that. I had a car full of friends and some good music and the drive seemed short to me!

Ontario: Toronto is not my cup of tea. There are very polarizing views across the country on "big city" vs. "small town" or rural life. I grew up on a horse farm and as such, never really warmed up to city life. However, I think some of the highlights of Toronto are the theatre district (if you are going to see a musical), St. Lawrence market (before it gets turned into a Wal Mart), Chinatown, The CN tower, and Casa Loma (a castle that used to be a private residence).

Ottawa: Very cold here in Winter. You WILL need a warm winter coat, mittens, scarf, hat, winter boots. People skate on the canal when it is frozen. The parliament buildings with their green roofs (copper oxidization from rain) are very nice. Lots of statues as well. An old city with a rich history.

Send me a private message if you are going anywhere else and what some details. Chances are I have been there. I love hearing about people travelling to our country. It really is an incredible place to live-- if you can get past the government taking close to 40% of your paycheque in taxes. Hahahaha.

So, my grandma Reynolds was always saying 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' I wish she was still alive, because I'd really like to ask her what she suggests for when life gives you Chlamydia.--Veronica Mars
Brently is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brently For This Useful Post:
davey90 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
RoryTate

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To answer your question: there is only the Scion FRS in Canada (No GT86).

Here's hoping you get to drive in some snow. The last few years there have been snow storms in the Ottawa area and Eastwards during the time frame you're looking at. Montreal had 45cm fall last Dec 27, for example.
RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoryTate For This Useful Post:
davey90 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Cheers guys! Awesome info!
@Brently MADDDD!!! definitely visiting Royal Roads University! one of my friends said there's a ice hockey museum i think that's also in Vancouver?

very very few aussies follow ice hockey, they mainly follow the Superbowl.I'm crazy for ice hockey, will there be any NHL games to experience(i doubt they play at that time of year,right?)?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Hockey

Hi cool that you are reaching out. The Ottawa Senators have games on December 28 and 30. They play Boston on the 28th and Washington on the 30th. Also as the time approaches send us an email and I can organize a meet of the 86's here that aren't put away for the winter.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
The Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto, definitely worth checking out if you're a hockey fan.