follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #281
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it's more costly to develop a turbo engine than just slapping a turbo onto an n/a engine. new engine mapping, larger fuel system, revised/stronger internals, extra cooling capacity (both oil and water), component location (such as intercooler), etc...
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #282
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
@ Zorro

With gas prices I don't think a 300hp+ car is what people want. I know a couple guys that had to sell their cars due to costly fill up from DDing.

Also I like how you say high numbers sell when the majority of the sales for VW is the golf and not the GTI, for Subie the sell more WRX than Sti and mitsu sells more Lancers than Evos just to name a few.

This car isn't targeted to people like you. Its not meant for people who want straight line power but people who want to enjoy the corners and curves. Driving fast on a road with twisties isnt dependent on HP but your ability to handle the car and carry speed.

I believe a car should not be measured on how fast it is in a straight line but how enjoyable it is when in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
To clarify, Xantonin, I would consider you 'new', not a noob. Noob being more of new, and opinionated while clueless in a particularly annoying way.
I think he is a noob just cause he likes the Mk II over Mk I
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #283
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post

With gas prices I don't think a 300hp+ car is what people want. I know a couple guys that had to sell their cars due to costly fill up from DDing.

Its not meant for people who want straight line power but people who want to enjoy the corners and curves. Driving fast on a road with twisties isnt dependent on HP but your ability to handle the car and carry speed.
Completely agree.

Filling up is ridiculously expensive. I'm paying just over $4/gallon and my car requires premium. I know there are higher prices in the world but regardless, it just makes those big-engined/high-power cars less appealing.

Also, with a car that holds handling over power, you can have fun without worrying about the police.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #284
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
it's more costly to develop a turbo engine than just slapping a turbo onto an n/a engine. new engine mapping, larger fuel system, revised/stronger internals, extra cooling capacity (both oil and water), component location (such as intercooler), etc...
I can pretty much guarantee you that at this moment Subaru is drawing up a new turbocharged boxer engine (perhaps FB underpinnings?) to power the WRX and STI and will phase out the EJ turbocharged engines within the next couple years.

I speculate that it wouldn't be that hard for Subaru/Toyota to put in a WRX engine if it is of FB origin after seeing as that's what they stuck in the Subaru RWD Concept at Geneva!
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #285
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you that at this moment Subaru is drawing up a new turbocharged boxer engine (perhaps FB underpinnings?) to power the WRX and STI and will phase out the EJ turbocharged engines within the next couple years.

I speculate that it wouldn't be that hard for Subaru/Toyota to put in a WRX engine if it is of FB origin after seeing as that's what they stuck in the Subaru RWD Concept at Geneva!
absolutely, yes. however, upon initial release, we won't be seeing that.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #286
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer256 View Post
Because Hyundai quality is cheaper.

Toyota is not.

Toyota's last you decades, Hyundai's do not.
Yet only one of them gives you a decade long warranty. Hyundai has come a long way. Credit, where credit is due.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #287
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Yet only one of them gives you a decade long warranty. Hyundai has come a long way. Credit, where credit is due.
i didnt say they suck. they are still cheap as hell. the Genesis interior is of cheap quality, look at any review or check it out for yourself - cheap materials are used. Yes Hyundai has come a long way but...they're still not high quality. Decade long warranty is nice but can any of the Hyundais last that long? The return offer is now ending usually that means people are going to start experiencing main problems after warranties are over.

My parents 1996 Camry has almost 260,000 miles on it, no issues. Pretty sure Hyundai has a ways to go before it can match my expectations from car life. Again, not to say they are bad, by all means current hyundai's are a big improvement but long term use is still a question, they still have a ways to go.
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #288
Mouse

Drives: Miata
Quote:
i didnt say they suck. they are still cheap as hell. the Genesis interior is of cheap quality, look at any review or check it out for yourself - cheap materials are used. Yes Hyundai has come a long way but...they're still not high quality. Decade long warranty is nice but can any of the Hyundais last that long? The return offer is now ending usually that means people are going to start experiencing main problems after warranties are over.

My parents 1996 Camry has almost 260,000 miles on it, no issues. Pretty sure Hyundai has a ways to go before it can match my expectations from car life. Again, not to say they are bad, by all means current hyundai's are a big improvement but long term use is still a question, they still have a ways to go.
Have you looked into a Hyundai or Kia recently?
The interior is probably better than what you got in your euro accord.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #289
Archer256

Cool, good for you. ANd yet...the Genesis interior is still cheap. True story, go look in one for yourself. I dont get what bringing my car into this accomplishes besides making you look bad, but ok. Should i be insulted? This is hyundai and toyota not hyundai toyota and honda/acura. You dont see me bringing in other people's rides into this.

So to make myself explicitly clear since people dont understand: I do not hate Hyundai, im just stating facts.

Last edited by Archer256; 03-31-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #290
Mouse

You're the one bashing the Korean brands on the quality of the their interiors when you're TSX is about the same. Yes I have sat in all of Hyundai/Kias' new offerings. It is Lexus-esque.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #291
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Cool, good for you. ANd yet...the Genesis interior is still cheap. True story, go look in one for yourself. I dont get what bringing my car into this accomplishes besides making you look bad, but ok. Should i be insulted? This is hyundai and toyota not hyundai toyota and honda/acura
Ok, well I HAVE been in the Genesis, and your usage of "cheap" is waaaayyy too exaggerated. You make it sound like a Playskool playset. It so isn't.

The Genesis lines up with cars like the Lexus GS, but for the price of an IS. So, of course it will feel slightly cheaper than the GS, it has to be. But is the whole interior "cheap"??? Not a chance.

If you want to do a Hyundai vs. Toyota, lets compare the Genesis to the Avalon (same price, same overall type) and you'll find that the Genesis has the same, OR GREATER, levels of fit and fitness and material qualities.

EDIT-IF Archer256 is talking about the Genesis COUPE. Let's compare it to...well, there isn't much to compare it to besides the Mustang/Camaro, all of which have pretty plasticy interiors imo. Gen Coupe stacks up nicely for the price. "Cheapness" invalid still.

Quote:
The return offer is now ending usually that means people are going to start experiencing main problems after warranties are over.
This sounds like conspiracy theory. And what return are you talking about? The job-loss return guarantee? Not sure that has anything to do with long-run warranties.

Last edited by matadormi5; 03-31-2011 at 11:44 AM.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #292
Archer256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
You're the one bashing the Korean brands on the quality of the their interiors when you're TSX is about the same. Yes I have sat in all of Hyundai/Kias' new offerings. It is Lexus-esque.

Um what? I never brought Kia into this, you did. I also NEVER said that TSX is better or anything. I also only said that the genesis coupe* interior materials are not of high quality considering there's some cheap plastic in there. That was only brought up because the ft-86 is going to be in the same price range. So other car models were never brought into this either. The only car comparable to Lexus luxury is the Equus (imho). Also, i didnt mean to say the whole car is cheap, just some interior parts and that's a valid complaint and i apologize for the exaggerated interpretation.

I was talking about the Return Your Hyundai thing they had going, and no you're right that probably doesnt have anything to do with warranty, my bad.

So please, stop bringing my car into this because that's just rude. I dont have an ego, no elitist complex so why is it necessary to bring what i drive into this? I mean im really trying to understand why you would bring what someone owns when it was never mentioned or used as a standard? Again I dont mean to bash or insult, if anyone's been offended i humbly apologize.

Interior quality of Toyota has definitely dropped lately, last i heard they planned on fixing that because of the large discrepancy considering Lexus interiors. (right?)

Edit - yeah im talking about the coupe lmao

Last edited by Archer256; 03-31-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #293
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,057 Times in 8,329 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
For me, Genesis interior was... okay. Not great, not horrible. BUT I do gotta say, I hated the reclining wanna be racing seat (no offense). That seat was almost worse seats I've sat in. Quality wasn't bad, leather quality wasn't bad. Just design was horrible (specially headrest part).
Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #294
Mouse

I'm comparing your TSX cause that is what you drive, it's what you see everyday. Hyundai and Kia are one in the same much like Honda and Acura.