follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #43
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Ok that’s a relief It would be nice to get ceramic coated parts, not sure I want to spend that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I don't believe ceramic coated exhausts parts are worth it.

About your car's wing, it reminds me of the OEM wing on my 2013 FR-S - very conservative.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #44
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

About your car's wing, it reminds me of the OEM wing on my 2013 FR-S - very conservative.

humfrz

Yeah I can see the cost/benefit of ceramic might not be worth it, especially if you aren’t worrying about extra heat from a turbo.

That’s my favorite wing for the FR-S! I was hoping to find a car with that one, or similar.

JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #45
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome car and welcome! I'm excited to have mine this winter for some snow shenanigans hehehehe. If you end up changing wheels and tires, keeping the stock wheels around for some snow rubber ain't a bad idea.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefire98 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #46
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
JesseG, meet my buddy, Bubba.

He has a suggestion for your missing radio knob -

humfrz
Can confirm it works great! Even use them as a steering wheel on track days
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-30-2019), JesseG (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #47
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:

humfrz
Oh shit didn’t know you had your name on your plate. Totally badass lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #48
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'm late to the party, so multiquote time because my opinion is more import than anyone else's!

Quote:
Another question, how hard would it be to source the volume knob for the Scion head unit? The interior is in great shape, but someone must have been really enthusiastic about changing the volume because it’s gone.
you can also contact a few of the auto wreckers. i've gotten a lot of oem replacement parts from tae used auto parts on ebay, decent people to deal with, just as with anywhere else though lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I would recommend running your stock tires until they are done. Learn on them so you can identify the weaknesses of the tire when you get into a stickier tire.

Unless you're not going to be really driving that hard(like track/autoX), then upgrade whenever you want, all seasons will help with wet conditions.
i highly recommend keeping the oem tires for as long as possible. they were chosen specifically because they are extremely consistent/predicable, easy to break loose for fun's, and they make noise well before anything serious happens.

using them for as long as possible highlights everything about the platform you're already starting to love. stickier tires tend to 'hide' those handling attributes somewhat, and while making the car more planted, will make the car less like a-dog-who-just-heard-the-garage-door.

Quote:
I trust ya! I know I couldn’t come close to reaching the limits of this car in corners. I think the Primacys will be good for exploring how the car reacts.
you will

Quote:
I need to get an FR-S badge, the back looks a little naked without it.
i recommend getting something more obscure if you must have a badge there for instance, a holden badge!

Quote:
That’s the sense I get from these tires, and Toyota specd them for this car for a reason. I mean cost savings also, but these tires allow you to feel the “liveliness” of the car. Without being outright dangerous or anything. In a lot of reviews of the twins people scream right away “change the damn tires first!!” I agree they should be changed to a better performing tire at some point, but you don’t need to rush to the tire store and put R Comps on immediately. Also a good alignment is key, I need to do that.
no cost savings when they're around $220/tire to replace. eco-friendly ain't cheap!

Quote:
On second thought, I examined the tails really closely (anybody walking by probably thought I was insane haha) and it really doesn’t look like they are sprayed red?? It’s almost like there is red film on the inside of the lens? I’ve never sprayed a taillight so I’m not sure how the surface looks/feels. Or do you mean the *inside* of the lens is sprayed?
there's 2 ways to tint tail lights. there's a spray can method, and there's a vinyl application method.

the easiest way to tell the difference is to remove the tail light from the car, and there will be either a seam for the vinyl, or there will be overspray on the black part of the housing for the paint method. you should also be able to feel a difference. paint will feel hard if you try to press your fingernail into it, vinyl will leave a small temporary divot.

looking at the pictures, i see a very slight hint of orange peel, which would indicate these tails were sprayed, likely by a professional or a dedicated individual.

honestly, between this and the TRD springs(instead of cheaper knockoff's), those are good indicators that the past owner cared for the car well, and worked to take proper care of it instead of shopping for a specific look at the lowest price point that many choose to do.
humfrz (08-30-2019), JesseG (08-30-2019), korhun (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 AM   #49
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Oh shit didn’t know you had your name on your plate. Totally badass lol
Yep, mrs humfrz got that for me. Why? Because back when we were doing a lot of traveling and spending the nights in motels, when registering, I always had to come back out to the car and look at the license plate, cause I couldn't remember it. So, she got me a personalized plate that I could remember -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-30-2019), Will BRZ (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #50
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
On second thought, I examined the tails really closely (anybody walking by probably thought I was insane haha) and it really doesn’t look like they are sprayed red?? It’s almost like there is red film on the inside of the lens? I’ve never sprayed a taillight so I’m not sure how the surface looks/feels. Or do you mean the *inside* of the lens is sprayed?

It's certainly possible they opened them up and sprayed the inside. Unless they did a fantastic job at wet sanding and polishing.

You could always try some paint thinner and find out. Otherwise a used set is around $100, and you could probably sell yours.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #51
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm late to the party, so multiquote time because my opinion is more import than anyone else's!

you can also contact a few of the auto wreckers. i've gotten a lot of oem replacement parts from tae used auto parts on ebay, decent people to deal with, just as with anywhere else though lately.

i highly recommend keeping the oem tires for as long as possible. they were chosen specifically because they are extremely consistent/predicable, easy to break loose for fun's, and they make noise well before anything serious happens.

using them for as long as possible highlights everything about the platform you're already starting to love. stickier tires tend to 'hide' those handling attributes somewhat, and while making the car more planted, will make the car less like a-dog-who-just-heard-the-garage-door.

you will

i recommend getting something more obscure if you must have a badge there for instance, a holden badge!

no cost savings when they're around $220/tire to replace. eco-friendly ain't cheap!

there's 2 ways to tint tail lights. there's a spray can method, and there's a vinyl application method.

the easiest way to tell the difference is to remove the tail light from the car, and there will be either a seam for the vinyl, or there will be overspray on the black part of the housing for the paint method. you should also be able to feel a difference. paint will feel hard if you try to press your fingernail into it, vinyl will leave a small temporary divot.

looking at the pictures, i see a very slight hint of orange peel, which would indicate these tails were sprayed, likely by a professional or a dedicated individual.

honestly, between this and the TRD springs(instead of cheaper knockoff's), those are good indicators that the past owner cared for the car well, and worked to take proper care of it instead of shopping for a specific look at the lowest price point that many choose to do.

Hey soundman it’s nice to meet ya! Thank you for the tip about that auto wrecker place, I will see if they have anything for the stock radio.

Im liking the stock Michelin’s so far! I did a lot of driving today, on all types of pavement (Texas can’t decide what types of road surface to use), around sweepers, and some sharp corners. The car stays planted like it’s glued to the ground unless you get aggressive. Honestly I’m not sure how the Continental all seasons I have will feel compared to the Primacy. I might switch when the weather gets cooler.

I think that’s the perfect description of the playfulness of this car, a dog excited by the doorbell. Even on the stock tires I’m surprised at how quickly you can change direction in the FR-S.

I don’t think I will go with a Holden badge. Lol I’ve been thinking about swapping out the Scion badges for Toyota ones. The fact that there are three different versions of this car makes things interesting. My car is a Scion, but it’s also a Toyota and a Subaru. Maybe I could use all three companies, really confuse the hell outta people.

Thanks for the tips about the taillights! I’m leaning towards it’s red vinyl, but I could be wrong. Like you said I will need to take them off. I’m fairly sure I will replace them with something aftermarket.

I agree, I think the previous owner took good care of her, and chose nice mods. It’s what I would have done, minus the taillights. Now I need to start shopping for headers and the Perrin intake. She needs a little more growl.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #52
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
It's certainly possible they opened them up and sprayed the inside. Unless they did a fantastic job at wet sanding and polishing.

You could always try some paint thinner and find out. Otherwise a used set is around $100, and you could probably sell yours.

It really appears whatever was done was from the inside, paint or vinyl. The outside feels exactly like normal taillight plastic. It was a quality job either way, they look almost flawless. Which years of taillights had the water condensation issues? Was that only 2013’s?

Old 08-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #53
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
It really appears whatever was done was from the inside, paint or vinyl. The outside feels exactly like normal taillight plastic. It was a quality job either way, they look almost flawless. Which years of taillights had the water condensation issues? Was that only 2013’s?

When done right they are indeed opened up and sprayed from the inside. They could also be an aftermarket set that is not as common as some. There are hundreds I am sure. As long as they look good and don’t block too much light I would just leave them alone. The 13s had the biggest issue with water but any year can have it happen.
JesseG (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #54
ericwudi0830

Drives: Scion FR-S
Nice man
JesseG (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #55
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
When done right they are indeed opened up and sprayed from the inside. They could also be an aftermarket set that is not as common as some. There are hundreds I am sure. As long as they look good and don’t block too much light I would just leave them alone. The 13s had the biggest issue with water but any year can have it happen.

I think that is the case with these, sprayed on the inside. Some of the light output is probably blocked. I’m not sure if them being opened up is more concerning because of the condensation issues. I will pay close attention to that.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #56
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwudi0830 View Post
Nice man

Thanks brother! I’m hooked