follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Just marry the right kind of wife. I have a BRZ; my girlfriend has an STi. She eventually wants to sell it for a Lotus Elise.
This exactly. Minus the STI part. I love her wrx but my car is just so much more fun. If anything I'd add a SC but it's not at all a requirement.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #16
Geese1

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/ PP - WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
My wife and I are also perfectly happy without the drain on time, money and sanity known as children. We also agreed that we didn’t want to blow a bunch of money on our wedding... we would have been fine with a courthouse marriage but we had a small/cheap wedding so that close friends and family could attend.
My wife and I were the same way. She was neutral on having kids, but she knew I didn't want any and was fine with that. It'll be 15 years this November and we're perfectly fine with our decision.

And we also didn't spend much on our wedding. Total cost was probably somewhere between $500 and $1000. Held it at her parent's house (which is beautiful), and just invited close family/friends. She just bought a nice period dress (1930's style), and I rented a suit in the same style, and that was pretty much it. Neither of us had any sort of party before getting married, and we didn't have to worry about renting a hall or church. While we still would have been perfectly happy being married at the courthouse, we figured we needed to have some sort of ceremony for the relatives.
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
firekat

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We'll if you can do it, fill your stable. I have 3 vehicles for one person. Gotta have some fun. Each has their own purpose.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - 57K miles
2011 BMW S1000RR - 6K miles
2018 Subaru BRZ tS - 1K miles

I actually got the BRZ to get rid of a Mini S. It was sort of an impulse purchase. The BRZ has less room in it than the Mini, not very practical, it is after all a sports car, they by definition are not supposed to be practical.

If it was just going to be about practicality there would only be the FJ, which is fun in it's own right.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:18 AM   #18
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambruin7 View Post
But, unfortunately I'm at the age where I'm gonna get married and have kids soon so the practicality factor comes in again.
If you can afford a separate daily driver, then buy the BRZ and have it as a weekend fun car. If not, then buy the WRX which is more practical.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #19
Willie Swoopes
Junior Pizza Joe

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited Manual WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Drove pickups with car seats for years.

Kids grow'd up. Bought them a used Civic.

Got the BRZ and kept the old truck for yucky days.

Wife likes the her SUV.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get the car you want now. Kids cost a lot and will make it harder to purchase a want over a need.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Do what I did.

1) BRZ
2) Show kid how cool BRZ is
3) Kid loves BRZ
4) Wife loses
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
dowroa (07-07-2018), SuperTom (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #22
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a tS and my wife has an 18 WRX and I drive both regularly. So I can definitely help with some perspective here.

The BRZ is an absolute blast. I’ve owned pretty much every type of performance vehicle from FWD booster 4 cylinders to a Corvette and a lot in between and I must say this is one of my favorite cars I’ve ever driven. I look forward to getting behind the wheel every chance I get.

BUT it is totally impractical, but I don’t need any practicality and that’s why we have the WRX. It fits the dogs, groceries, what have you, and the AWD is great for the random snow we get in DC. It’s also definitely quick, and a blast to drive. I feel a bit awkward in it because I feel like I’m sitting so high, but anything is going to feel high next to the BRZ. My only qualm is that power delivery is a bit jerky sometimes, and makes driving it a bit, idk, rough? It’s just not a smooth delivery. With that said, her Cobb Accessport came today and we will be throwing a Stage 1 tune on it, which is supposed to make it much better, so I’ll report back with how that goes.

Bottom line though - you really can’t go wrong with either car. I love both and if I needed a practical car as well, we would 100% own 2 WRXs (or an STi ).

One other great practical car - the Golf R. I had a 2016, and absolutely loved it. VW really did wonders with the dimensions also - I laid the seats down and fit a 55inch flatscreen in box in the back of it.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #23
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
You could possibly go used with a brz and have money left over to get a used SUV/Wagon/Minivan/Truck to haul kids n sh*t around. Put one of the vehicles on your insurance as pleasure vehicle.

I am one person with 3 vehicles with 86 on full coverage, C5 & XJ listed as pleasure vehicles. Pay about $210 a month
Old 07-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #24
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Unless your kids are freaks, you overfeed them or you try to produce an entire baseball team yourself, they should fit in the back seat of a BRZ for several years. By the time they're big enough to pose a problem, you'll probably be ready to sell the BRZ anyway.

Both my parents drove MGs until I was six years old. We usually had a third vehicle with a back seat for when all three of us needed to go somewhere. When my brother was born the Midget finally became less practical, so my mom switched between the Midget and a Chevy Malibu as a daily driver depending on what she had to do that day. But my dad continued to drive an MGB for years, then started buying Corvettes. My brother and I were far enough apart in age that our activities were radically different, so even when my dad had transportation duty, it would only be one of us.

A BRZ is a lot more practical than an MG. Having grown up with it, I don't get all the hand-wringing about practicality with this car. That's the way boring people think.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-07-2018), dowroa (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Practicality is all a matter of comparison and perspective. Compared to the numerous 2 seaters and motorcycles that I’ve owned, the BRZ is incredibly practical. Compared to the WRX, the BRZ is less practical if you regularly have more than one passenger.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #26
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
ya Get BRz now & get a beater SUV for wife later. :P
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Unless your kids are freaks, you overfeed them or you try to produce an entire baseball team yourself, they should fit in the back seat of a BRZ for several years. By the time they're big enough to pose a problem, you'll probably be ready to sell the BRZ anyway.

Both my parents drove MGs until I was six years old. We usually had a third vehicle with a back seat for when all three of us needed to go somewhere. When my brother was born the Midget finally became less practical, so my mom switched between the Midget and a Chevy Malibu as a daily driver depending on what she had to do that day. But my dad continued to drive an MGB for years, then started buying Corvettes. My brother and I were far enough apart in age that our activities were radically different, so even when my dad had transportation duty, it would only be one of us.

A BRZ is a lot more practical than an MG. Having grown up with it, I don't get all the hand-wringing about practicality with this car. That's the way boring people think.
Most infant car seats are a stretch to believe they are remotely usable in a brz. I have seen threads where people force it and have towels underneath the base to "make it work" or their wives/ girlfriends knees are in the dash, its comical. Maybe when the child is finally forward facing..... but that's two years down the road and would probably be a selective seat to fit / function as it should and be practical. I chose a graco slimfit so I could have a convertible and it's got a more narrow base but the infant seat (britax b35) would never have worked practically in the brz.

Also, when were you born? Were carseats even mandatory? They are a fairly new thing in terms of actual requirement and enforcement. Like mid 80s.... and the seats just keep getting bigger.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Brooklyn (07-09-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #28
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
get a beater wife later. :P
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote