follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Resolute
in the recliner of rage

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs Motorcycle. There can be only one...

If you could have either your FR-S/BRZ, or your motorcycle, but not both, which would you choose? I'm having a hard time deciding.

The principal issue is that our new house has a steep driveway that's all but impossible to scale without scraping, the natural slope and terrain of our home's property required the driveway to be constructed in a way that leaves no room for parked vehicles to reside on the driveway outside of the garage, and the neighborhood covenants forbid parking vehicles on the street. I have a SUV for family hauling/camping/towing/and winter travel. The missus has her minivan. That leaves one garage space left for either the car or the motorcycle, and no where else on the property to park the other.

I love the FR-S. It's a joy to drive, especially at track days and auto-x events, and it's much more practical than a motorcycle for running errands. But anymore, my car is typically parked at another garage away from my home, and now I hardly ever drive it. If I do keep the car, there is no way it can ever be lowered. Ever. In fact, I've been giving serious thought to the TRD rally suspension if I keep the car. But either way, one of my joys is track days and auto-x events, and a nice set of coilovers is now out of the question. Maybe rally-x is where it's at?

The motorcycle is the best commuter vehicle ever. Always fun to ride, it just zips through traffic better than any car, is much faster than the FR-S, easily handles the driveway and speedbumps, is easy to work on and keep clean, doesn't get doors dings in parking lots, averages 60 mpg, and costs only $25 a year to insure. I love the motorcycle, but except for joy riding and commuting, it's not practical at all. And I don't expect that I will ever buy full leathers and take it to the track, so goodbye track days.

I can't keep the car at another garage forever, so one or the other has to go. I've gone through just about every pro and con in this decision at least a dozen times over the past month, and am absolutely deadlocked. Maybe some of you will have an idea or consideration I've yet to think of. Let me know your thoughts...
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-23-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
If you could have either your FR-S/BRZ, or your motorcycle, but not both, which would you choose? I'm having a hard time deciding.

The principal issue is that our new house has a steep driveway that's all but impossible to scale without scraping, the natural slope and terrain of our home's property required the driveway to be constructed in a way that leaves no room for parked vehicles to reside on the driveway outside of the garage, and the neighborhood covenants forbid parking vehicles on the street. I have a SUV for family hauling/camping/towing/and winter travel. The missus has her minivan. That leaves one garage space left for either the car or the motorcycle, and no where else on the property to park the other.

I love the FR-S. It's a joy to drive, especially at track days and auto-x events, and it's much more practical than a motorcycle for running errands. But anymore, my car is typically parked at another garage away from my home, and now I hardly ever drive it. If I do keep the car, there is no way it can ever be lowered. Ever. In fact, I've been giving serious thought to the TRD rally suspension if I keep the car. But either way, one of my joys is track days and auto-x events, and a nice set of coilovers is now out of the question. Maybe rally-x is where it's at?

The motorcycle is the best commuter vehicle ever. Always fun to ride, it just zips through traffic better than any car, is much faster than the FR-S, easily handles the driveway and speedbumps, is easy to work on and keep clean, doesn't get doors dings in parking lots, averages 60 mpg, and costs only $25 a year to insure. I love the motorcycle, but except for joy riding and commuting, it's not practical at all. And I don't expect that I will ever buy full leathers and take it to the track, so goodbye track days.

I can't keep the car at another garage forever, so one or the other has to go. I've gone through just about every pro and con in this decision at least a dozen times over the past month, and am absolutely deadlocked. Maybe some of you will have an idea or consideration I've yet to think of. Let me know your thoughts...
Sounds like you already made your choice .........

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-20-2018), dowroa (01-20-2018), EAGLE5 (01-20-2018), Hades (01-22-2018), SexyPirates (06-24-2021), TofuJoe (07-24-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
I can't keep the car at another garage forever, so one or the other has to go.
Well until I got to this part I was just gonna say keep the car in another garage and keep the bike in your garage (or vice versa). But with that not being an option I would go with keeping the car and letting the bike go. Why? Always needing to run your errands in a tank of an SUV or a barge of a minivan will totally suck. Keeping the FR-S gives you a fun car to drive that can still haul groceries or whatever when needed. Sure, you could do a limited amount of errands on the bike but your cargo space there is gonna be limited to a backpack or saddlebags or whatever. And rain? The bike is staying in the garage when it rains. The FR-S will still be fun to drive. Same goes for winter/cold or otherwise unpleasant to be in weather. It sounds like you're not going to be able to get as much track enjoyment as you would like out of either vehicle, but the FR-S would seem to offer more possibilities on or off the track.

Also I'm not familiar with your driveway in particular, but is it something that driveway ramps would enable a FR-S to scale without scraping? I know I've seen 1 person around here that has them. I don't recall the exact product they had, but it was something like this:

http://www.bridjit.com/blog/bridjit-for-lowered-cars/
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #4
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Well until I got to this part I was just gonna say keep the car in another garage and keep the bike in your garage (or vice versa). But with that not being an option I would go with keeping the car and letting the bike go. Why? Always needing to run your errands in a tank of an SUV or a barge of a minivan will totally suck. Keeping the FR-S gives you a fun car to drive that can still haul groceries or whatever when needed. Sure, you could do a limited amount of errands on the bike but your cargo space there is gonna be limited to a backpack or saddlebags or whatever. And rain? The bike is staying in the garage when it rains. The FR-S will still be fun to drive. Same goes for winter/cold or otherwise unpleasant to be in weather. It sounds like you're not going to be able to get as much track enjoyment as you would like out of either vehicle, but the FR-S would seem to offer more possibilities on or off the track.

Also I'm not familiar with your driveway in particular, but is it something that driveway ramps would enable a FR-S to scale without scraping? I know I've seen 1 person around here that has them. I don't recall the exact product they had, but it was something like this:

+1 to this. I actually did this once sold my FRS and kept the bike, fun but not practical at all. So now I have no bikes and a BRZ lol. So hello to track days and even taking the wife and kids for a cruise.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Sounds like a new home purchase is in order in all reality.

I once kept my bike in the kitchen when I was in a similar situation so, have both and find a way to do it.... until you find a different property anyways.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
If married then stick with the car.

If single then a bike..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Sounds like a new home purchase is in order in all reality.

I once kept my bike in the kitchen when I was in a similar situation so, have both and find a way to do it.... until you find a different property anyways.
Summerwolf ........ off to work ........

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-20-2018), Hades (01-22-2018), Spuds (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Summerwolf ........ off to work ........

humfrz
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Resolute
in the recliner of rage

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post

Here's a pic of the driveway to show the layout and give you an idea of how steep it is:

I actually did better than the bridjit ramps and built my own rubber ramps to traverse the curb:

The driveway is so steep that the front and rear overhangs still scrape going up and down. Even at an angle. It's not so bad I can't get the car up or down it at all, but so far it has scraped through the clear bra and paint on the bottom of my front bumper and taken about a 1/4" off the underside of the rear diffuser.
Attached Images

Last edited by Resolute; 01-20-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: uploaded the photos in case the embedded photos don't display
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Time for a lift kit on the FR-S?
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Stock, a BRZ is still great at the track. Mods are only necessary for competition, ego, and fun in installing. Over-inflating your tires might make the difference for scraping. You can even put slightly over-large tires on.

Motorcycles are dangerous as fuck. That goes 100 times over at the track. EMTs hate motorcycle track days.

Cars don't have to be garaged. Bikes probably should be.

But it sounds like, as @humfrz / @Tcoat / @Generic-old-white-man said, you already know what your decision is.
EAGLE5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I would have said keep the 86, except you've already said you can't get it up your driveway so there seems to be a issue with keeping it long-term.

Can't see your photo, but I have a relatively steep transition from street to driveway, both have inclines, and don't have any issue with my stock height FRS. I would probably not be able to get it up the drive without being "really careful" and angled it if were lowered.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
r_rated

Drives: Porsche 911
Once you go to 2 wheels - 4 will never be as fun. Leave pandoras box shut.
r_rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
r_rated

Drives: Porsche 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
If married then stick with the car.

If single then a bike..
The car is also much easier to enjoy finding a significant other - but if that's the goal... may I introduce you to any one of 100 BRZ vs Porsche threads? haha
r_rated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r_rated For This Useful Post:
JD001 (01-21-2018)