follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #1415
Tyson

Drives: black FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
The only part that is different for LHD/RHD is the overpipe because it wraps around the steering column on RHD. Nameless haven't produced one for us yet but others do. FA20club and Perrin.
So don't buy the Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo because it wont fit.
Get the downpipe and buy the overpipe from one of the above.
thank you just what i needed to here
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #1416
Tyson

do i go 4" muffler or no muffler if i am going to be getting the full exhaust including the headers?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #1417
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
do i go 4" muffler or no muffler if i am going to be getting the full exhaust including the headers?
Get the 5" dia 8" long offset mufflers in 2.5"
That's the quietest axleback and loud enough, especially since everything else will only make it louder.
I would certainly get the downpipe with a HF cat and helmholtz resonator to keep it legal, smelling sweet and as quiet as possible. Everything you do to increase the power, apart from adding a turbo, is going to make it louder.

I guarantee you will never think it's too quiet unless you're 17 and too pissed to be driving it.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #1418
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Even the offset axleback isn't too quiet (which I was worried about). Sounded nice, mature, and only aggressive when on the throttle. It's by no means loud, but I'd never call it TOO quiet. Very good stock replacement if you want the noise without the headache.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #1419
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Get the 5" dia 8" long offset mufflers in 2.5"
That's the quietest axleback and loud enough, especially since everything else will only make it louder.
I would certainly get the downpipe with a HF cat and helmholtz resonator to keep it legal, smelling sweet and as quiet as possible. Everything you do to increase the power, apart from adding a turbo, is going to make it louder.

I guarantee you will never think it's too quiet unless you're 17 and too pissed to be driving it.
is there much difference between the 4'' mufflers and 5" mufflers i kinda want it a little bit loud ^.^
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #1420
sierra

Quote:
is there much difference between the 4'' mufflers and 5" mufflers i kinda want it a little bit loud ^.^
I would start out with that one, they've started making it for a reason.
When you have it finished, if it's too quiet, then you will have no trouble selling the axleback to replace it with whatever option will make it loud enough for your tastes.

Mine only has a 2.5" axleback with centred 5" dia x 6" mufflers with a Perrin drop in filter. When I wind it up all conversation stops because it's in your face and louder would be insane IMO.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #1421
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Pretty sure all the orders go 5" now with the off-set design. I had my order in as centered and 4" and Jason said since I plan on going headers and possibly 3" I would want the off-set design more and he believes this is the best design for the revised axleback. Not so sure the 4" option is "truly" available like it says on their site, but a lot of it does depend on your build. I'm picking up my axleback today from the UPS center and I'll snap pics. My original order was on Feb 6th.

Last edited by FR-S Matt; 03-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1422
BryanGT

Drives: WRD BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Pretty sure all the orders go 5" now with the off-set design. I had my order in as centered and 4" and Jason said since I plan on going headers and possibly 3" I would want the off-set design more and he believes this is the best design for the revised axleback. Not so sure like 4" option is "truly" available like it says on their site, but a lot of it does depend on your build. I'm picking up my axleback today from the UPS center and I'll snap pics. My original order was on Feb 6th.

Why haven't you posted pictures of your new exhaust yet?
I'm pretty sure you ordered the exact configuration I've been looking at. So your pictures and impressions are really important to me, okay?

Edit: Nevermind, I found them in the axel back thread. YOU LUCKED OUT THIS TIME.

Also, Nameless, any chance we get a progress report on the headers? Thanks dudes.
BryanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BryanGT For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (03-15-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #1423
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I must've missed it and sorry if I did, but can you bolt-on the catted header or do we require a tune?

Also, have you guys experienced any CEL with it?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #1424
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
I must've missed it and sorry if I did, but can you bolt-on the catted header or do we require a tune?

Also, have you guys experienced any CEL with it?
You will require a tune with the catless version that they tested. It doesn't throw a CEL right away, but everyone speculates eventually it will. Most of the cars doing these headers have been tuned so they won't throw those codes. Catted header (If Nameless does indeed go with one) should not require a specific tune and can be bolted right on, but you'll be lacking in performance without the proper tune. While you might gain 12-15 from the header just bolted on, could turn into 20+ whp with a tune and higher in some RPM ranges.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #1425
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It'd be nice see a good catted header with a warranty on the cat. I'm not willing to eliminate either cat, as much as I like the gains on the catless header. I'm sure theres others on here who feel the same.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobius357 For This Useful Post:
meWant (03-16-2013), Subie (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #1426
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
updates? any new info...?

Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #1427
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
It'd be nice see a good catted header with a warranty on the cat. I'm not willing to eliminate either cat, as much as I like the gains on the catless header. I'm sure theres others on here who feel the same.
I certainly feel the same as you. The first cat is there to heat up super fast to be effective as quickly as possible. I assume the second one is because there isn't enough space where the first one is to get the volume required for the job to be done effectively.

With 2 cats in the original positions I would feel confident that my exhaust was a more efficient version of the OEM and fully complient for emissions with no reason for CEL's to be blocked.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #1428
wrohdejr

Drives: 2013 subaru limited wrb brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Since i live i the pacific northwest i only have to deal with DEQ when renewing my license plate if you live in the metro area. So i am thinking two things. I can save my stock exhaust and just install it a couple of weeks before i have to deal with plates in a few years and do a ecu rest. Or i can re-register my car using my parents address that doesn't require that you have to pass DEQ.
wrohdejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag