follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #15
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had originally used the visconti base tune on my car. It was ok, but I had no way to data log and send a file to John. So i was stuck with a tune that bogged badly below 2k rpms. No fault of John, just my over sight. I texted Dave many months back and said he should def get the EcuTek software and see about tuning with it. So I just waited in the mean time. I contacted Dave again as soon as I saw they had completed their stock car tune. He told me that he would like to try a tune on my car and I had it driven over to his shop from Slidell, La the next week on Wednesday. I couldnt personally go since I had work, so my brother drove. Dave was very kind in allowing him to stay at his house for the few days he was there. I very much appreciated that.

The moment my car arrived at the shop, they dyno'd it several times and then I proceeded to tell them I had an exhaust leak from the slip clamps on my SRT catback. They called me up to suggest welding it and I said yes. Welding only took 2 hours and I must say it made a huge difference. Car was much quieter that before. I would drone a lot on the interstate and had a deep pulsing sound to it at start up.

The next day they started tuning the car and by the afternoon they were done with dyno tuning and road testing. I was surprized to hear a phone call saying the car was ready and just about on its way back. I was excited as all hell! I was at work at the time so that shot the rest of the day for me. My brother arrived in Slidell at 10 pm as soon as I was going to bed, So I took the car the next morning at 5am to work. Just from the first start-up it sounded a lot more civil. And the low end torque... holy crap, I can actually pull in 3rd gear from 700 rpms easily which makes many sub-20mph corners very nice since I dont have to go into 2nd anymore. The car is soooo much smoother all around. I know it has more power in the top end, and it pulls very nicely all the way, but that area below 2k was such a huge improvement! I couldnt be happier! When I add more parts to my car, it will be going back to Dave for adjustments. I have known him since my NewCelica forum days way back in 2004 and even got to meet him on one of his trips to New Orleans. So i knew all along that he was well worth the time and money but his best trait is his kind demeanor, his professional work, and his well known knowledge about anything MUST go fast!

Thank you Dave, thank you Jason.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
Jeong

Drives: pet dragon
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
I had originally used the visconti base tune on my car. It was ok, but I had no way to data log and send a file to John. So i was stuck with a tune that bogged badly below 2k rpms. No fault of John, just my over sight. I texted Dave many months back and said he should def get the EcuTek software and see about tuning with it. So I just waited in the mean time. I contacted Dave again as soon as I saw they had completed their stock car tune. He told me that he would like to try a tune on my car and I had it driven over to his shop from Slidell, La the next week on Wednesday. I couldnt personally go since I had work, so my brother drove. Dave was very kind in allowing him to stay at his house for the few days he was there. I very much appreciated that.

The moment my car arrived at the shop, they dyno'd it several times and then I proceeded to tell them I had an exhaust leak from the slip clamps on my SRT catback. They called me up to suggest welding it and I said yes. Welding only took 2 hours and I must say it made a huge difference. Car was much quieter that before. I would drone a lot on the interstate and had a deep pulsing sound to it at start up.

The next day they started tuning the car and by the afternoon they were done with dyno tuning and road testing. I was surprized to hear a phone call saying the car was ready and just about on its way back. I was excited as all hell! I was at work at the time so that shot the rest of the day for me. My brother arrived in Slidell at 10 pm as soon as I was going to bed, So I took the car the next morning at 5am to work. Just from the first start-up it sounded a lot more civil. And the low end torque... holy crap, I can actually pull in 3rd gear from 700 rpms easily which makes many sub-20mph corners very nice since I dont have to go into 2nd anymore. The car is soooo much smoother all around. I know it has more power in the top end, and it pulls very nicely all the way, but that area below 2k was such a huge improvement! I couldnt be happier! When I add more parts to my car, it will be going back to Dave for adjustments. I have known him since my NewCelica forum days way back in 2004 and even got to meet him on one of his trips to New Orleans. So i knew all along that he was well worth the time and money but his best trait is his kind demeanor, his professional work, and his well known knowledge about anything MUST go fast!

how much did that whole tuning process run you?
Jeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i'd like you guy's to re-dyno the car now with no reset(in fact everybody should re-dyno their car after 2 weeks), you will be surprise with the result. That damn ecu is is cutting down power as he sees knock, you might see -10whp from those numbers
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
cuddefred

Drives: Black 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry but why would you take a corner at 700rpm? Seems strange to me

Quote:

cuddefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #19
Genomaxter

Because I can now, the engine does it so easy. Its that simple.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

You are very welcome! It was a pleasure working with you, and we appreciate your business.

And your brother was no trouble at all - he is a cool guy and has some great vision for his MR-S.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeong View Post
how much did that whole tuning process run you?
He already had an unlocked ECU so it was $300
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
i'd like you guy's to re-dyno the car now with no reset(in fact everybody should re-dyno their car after 2 weeks), you will be surprise with the result. That damn ecu is is cutting down power as he sees knock, you might see -10whp from those numbers
That is a great idea, but unfortunately we can't easily do that with this vehicle since Slidell is about 7 hours and over 400 miles away from here. But our shop FRS with our tune is a daily for Brent right now. I will be happy to dyno it and post the results.

Speaking of which, remember that Chris (Genomaxter) got the vehicle back after we spent a day street tuning and confirming that the tune was happy, and after his brother then drove it the 400+ miles home from here. Thats quite a while for the ECU to pull timing if it wants to.

Also relevant:
-His before number is the very best pull we were able to get from both before and after an ECU reset.
-When we tune a car, we always tune the A/F and VVTi first and ignition last. He made 95% of the gains you see before we even touched the timing.

So while it is possible that if he put 91 in the tank or got some really crappy gas it might drop that much power, it would do that on any tune and it won't do it from normal driving on good fuel.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Genomaxter

I run 93 octane ethanol free gas 90% of the time.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #24
Jeong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
He already had an unlocked ECU so it was $300
let me get this straight. it only took 300$ for them to adjust viscontis tune at the shop? i feel like im misunderstanding something
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
let me get this straight. it only took 300$ for them to adjust viscontis tune at the shop? i feel like im misunderstanding something
No, it cost 300 to load their own base map and tune it. Visconti's tune is simply overwritten.

Since he already had a license from ecutek he only had to pay for the tune.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
Jeong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
No, it cost 300 to load their own base map and tune it. Visconti's tune is simply overwritten.

Oh wow thats a pretty sweet deal. I need to find a shop thatll do that around me
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post

Quote:
Oh wow thats a pretty sweet deal. I need to find a shop thatll do that around me
Correct - ECUTEK tuners cannot view or modify maps from a different tuner. We re-tuned this vehicle from scratch.

Normally we charge $550 for a tune and a liscence, but sinc ehe alreayd had the liscence it was $300.