follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
That was a good read, I read it before I got my car but rereading leads me to believe that it may be the EBD I'm hearing not the brake lsd... I'm gonna have to wait 2 weeks to test my hypothesis.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #16
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
@Sleepless @x808drifter

Per the CSG thread mentioned like 6 times already some feel that the EBD system prevents trail braking and weight transfer and the sudden application of brakes midcorner creates unexpected behaviour. (I haven't really felt that, trail braking for me)

I honestly don't know if that's what op is hearing but I think it's worth experimenting with. Knowing if the slip light is flashing will determine if the car is doing something without having a test.
I’m pretty sure that EBD is not the same as Brake LSD. Pedal Dance definitely gets ride of EBD; main reason I have the 86 Nanny from Beastronix. I’ve not seen anything regarding Pedal Dance and Brake LSD. EBD is active under braking. Brake LSD is active under acceleration.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
That was a good read, I read it before I got my car but rereading leads me to believe that it may be the EBD I'm hearing not the brake lsd... I'm gonna have to wait 2 weeks to test my hypothesis.
Ebd only happens when you use the brakes, it's not spontaneous, if you're using the brakes midcorner than that may be your high pitched noise.

Quote:
I’m pretty sure that EBD is not the same as Brake LSD. Pedal Dance definitely gets ride of EBD; main reason I have the 86 Nanny from Beastronix. I’ve not seen anything regarding Pedal Dance and Brake LSD. EBD is active under braking. Brake LSD is active under acceleration.
idk just parroting the thread that pedal dance turns off the auto lsd, maybe not the case anymore for the '17+ I'm not quick enough or good enough to notice when auto lsd kicks in.

It's my understanding that while they are independent systems they both get turned off via pedal dance. I never meant to imply they were the same.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It's my understanding that while they are independent systems they both get turned off via pedal dance. I never meant to imply they were the same.
I don't see any mention of Auto LSD or Brake LSD in the Pedal Dance thread. Is there a reference about it somewhere else?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't see any mention of Auto LSD or Brake LSD in the Pedal Dance thread. Is there a reference about it somewhere else?
You're right, there's no explicit link in that thread except the description of lifting a wheel which is consistent with the description of what "auto-lsd" purports to accomplish:

Quote:
Without the brake dance, if you upset the car's computers enough, it will still re-engage traction and stability control. This specifically involves enough of a loss of traction that you're getting what the ECU believe to be uncontrolled wheelspin, the equivalent of lifting a rear wheel.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=1

Mentioned here as well:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=7

Guess I just drew my own conclusions (that could be false), the "auto-LSD" feature didn't really come to light as an explanation until a year or two after this initial "research" and it's rare for anyone to go back and update a technical post years later.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why would one want Brake LSD off?

Does the pedal dance turn it off?
When the car is being pushed to the limits, the VSC ECU can think the inside rear wheel is spinning under certain conditions, and applies brakes to assist the Torsen.

Imagine having brakes suddenly being applied to one corner of the car at 125+. I've experienced it, and can replicate it at will. Pedal dancing eliminates this behavior. So does a mechanical LSD (like Cusco or OS Giken).

Normally, it's pretty seamless, particularly at lower speeds. When it happens at triple digit speeds... code brown may result. I've seen some cars fly off at T8 of WSIR (very bumpy 120+ corner) because of the E-diff function. The corner itself is only about 0.65G lateral, but the bumps can let a wheel spin, and then it gets scary.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
There was no 'problem' persay, I just heard a high pitch mechanical noise coming from the back tire. The car wasn't skipping across the pavement, but I was making those Michelin pss work. That run I finally hit the line I was wanting and resulted in besting the 2 other CS miatas and the 2 Z06s

well dang... I really thought I could avoid the pedal dance non-sense by going with a 2017 model... I guess we will see next month if I feel/hear any differences at the next event.
Nothing wrong with using the pedal dance!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote