follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More air in the front end please!

Can people please share what they've done to get more air flow into the front of the car? Including brake ducts and deleting the factory crash bar? Extra points if you were able to keep it looking close to stock.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 AM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Trackspec hood vents. Delete the mustache and impact beam.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-07-2019), why? (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Trackspec hood vents. Delete the mustache and impact beam.
Mike, any reason to get a JDL crash bar or is it not needed? (as long as I don't crash!) Also is there any reason not to just go hoodless if I don't have the trakspec vents?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Mike, any reason to get a JDL crash bar or is it not needed? (as long as I don't crash!) Also is there any reason not to just go hoodless if I don't have the trakspec vents?
I would assume hoodless is a poor idea, the restriction creates vacuum for extraction to a degree and is a safety measure so spewing fluids don't blind you. The track spec hoodvents, modifying the stock engine shield to give vents that create more vacuum (cutting little slivers of the metal and angling it down a little to create drag) are really the best cheap and easy mods I could think of. Are you fighting poor under hood temperatures that are far beyond the norm?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I would assume hoodless is a poor idea, the restriction creates vacuum for extraction to a degree and is a safety measure so spewing fluids don't blind you. The track spec hoodvents, modifying the stock engine shield to give vents that create more vacuum (cutting little slivers of the metal and angling it down a little to create drag) are really the best cheap and easy mods I could think of. Are you fighting poor under hood temperatures that are far beyond the norm?
I have the Verus hood vents for now, might upgrade to the Trackspec at some point. I have an LS3. So far just pushing the car in the canyons in 90 plus degree weather coolant is between 220-230 which I believe is normal for an LS. Oil temp is 220 off the cooler, so probably 250 in the engine. Trying to get better airflow before going to Buttonwillow at the end of the month so will probably remove the factory crash bar. I'm trying to keep the car relatively stock looking so I can still drive on the street for now. Purchased my first trailer today so I guess that was a big step towards going to a dedicated track car.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
CSG Mike

Quote:
I have the Verus hood vents for now, might upgrade to the Trackspec at some point. I have an LS3. So far just pushing the car in the canyons in 90 plus degree weather coolant is between 220-230 which I believe is normal for an LS. Oil temp is 220 off the cooler, so probably 250 in the engine. Trying to get better airflow before going to Buttonwillow at the end of the month so will probably remove the factory crash bar. I'm trying to keep the car relatively stock looking so I can still drive on the street for now. Purchased my first trailer today so I guess that was a big step towards going to a dedicated track car.
You're overheating unless you have an unusually high set thermostat (unlikely).

Get a fresh hood and drop in trackspec vents, unless you want to need a new LS3 at that track day.

Watch your oil temps.

I personally wouldn't ever run without a bash bar at a minimum.

PM to order the JDL bash bar.

Get yourself a better radiator and shround while you're at it.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:40 AM   #7
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You're overheating unless you have an unusually high set thermostat (unlikely).

Get a fresh hood and drop in trackspec vents, unless you want to need a new LS3 at that track day.

Watch your oil temps.

I personally wouldn't ever run without a bash bar at a minimum.

PM to order the JDL bash bar.

Get yourself a better radiator and shround while you're at it.
Thanks for the concern Mike. I have every possible Motec safety parameter in place to protect the engine. I'll also have my tuner with me at the track and I'll be sure to be cautious as well as take the necessary steps to increase cooling. Every LS guy I talk to says 220-230 is normal coolant temp for these engines.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #8
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks for the concern Mike. I have every possible Motec safety parameter in place to protect the engine. I'll also have my tuner with me at the track and I'll be sure to be cautious as well as take the necessary steps to increase cooling. Every LS guy I talk to says 220-230 is normal coolant temp for these engines.
typical =/= normal =/= acceptable