follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
funcheung

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlturner View Post
Bringing this thread back to life, I plan to store my car for the majority of the winter. I have never stored a vehicle for that long before. What should be done before parking it for months at a time? Do you take the battery out or do anything with the fluids? My car will be parked in a heated garage as well.
when i stored my previous cars i would just unscrew the battery wiring and leave it hanging, also bump up the tire pressure a bit. Make sure you DONT lock your doors, or do not completely shut your hood. BRZ/FRS shouldnt hv a problem since you can manually open the door. I remember i shut my Dads cayman S n he had trouble getting the engine cover open since it needs electricity (i dun friggin know why its designed like dat)
funcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Jlturner

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcheung View Post
when i stored my previous cars i would just unscrew the battery wiring and leave it hanging, also bump up the tire pressure a bit. Make sure you DONT lock your doors, or do not completely shut your hood. BRZ/FRS shouldnt hv a problem since you can manually open the door. I remember i shut my Dads cayman S n he had trouble getting the engine cover open since it needs electricity (i dun friggin know why its designed like dat)
Thanks for the info. Is it a good idea to hook the battery up and start the car to get the fluids moving every once in a while or is it ok to let it sit for months at a time?

Jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
jesseps

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'll try it out this winter and see how it goes. I'll probably be praying every time I drive it though lol
jesseps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
MJmcnabb

Drives: Black BRZ
I plan on winter driving here in Edmonton. Quick question for some of you though I plan on buying winter tires and throwing them on the stock rims as I will be purchasing new aftermarket rims come summer. Would it make more sense to buy smaller winter rims with larger tires? Thanks for any suggestions, was planning on buying some form of Nokian studded tires.
2001 Lexus is300 (RIP)
2013 Subaru BRZ
MJmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
100% sure its not touching the snow
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drive it all year that's what the rustproofing was for, unless the snow is like 2 feet high then I'll just stay home. haha
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
This car may look like a $100,000 car but in reality its only $30,000. Drive it people!! quit being those anal garage queen guys

Anyway gonna drive it with proper winter tires in the winter and ONR the car every week or so, to keep salt build up minimum and coin op the underside frequently.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
The frs is a fourth car so i wont bother
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJmcnabb View Post
I plan on winter driving here in Edmonton. Quick question for some of you though I plan on buying winter tires and throwing them on the stock rims as I will be purchasing new aftermarket rims come summer. Would it make more sense to buy smaller winter rims with larger tires? Thanks for any suggestions, was planning on buying some form of Nokian studded tires.

I'm going to use a 205/55/16 on mine. If a 15" wheel will clear the brakes, I might even try a 195/65/15. A smaller wheel with more tire sidewall for the same overall diameter will give better grip in the snow. There is a tradeoff on dry roads, though. The steering and handling will be off somewhat. Are studs legal where you are?
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
Sh4rp

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Going to storebit. Still have my 97 cl as a beater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sh4rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlturner View Post
Bringing this thread back to life, I plan to store my car for the majority of the winter. I have never stored a vehicle for that long before. What should be done before parking it for months at a time? Do you take the battery out or do anything with the fluids? My car will be parked in a heated garage as well.

Just before storing the car, I'd fill the fuel tank (be sure to add some fuel stabilizer), and do an oil/filter change. If you don't need to start the engine over the winter, don't. You'll just pollute that nice fresh oil. If you're in a heated garage, don't worry about disconnecting or removing the battery. Get a cheap "trickle" charger (1-2 amp) at Crappy Tire, and hook it up to the battery for a day or so every couple of weeks.
Park the car in gear and don't use the parking brake unless you need to start the car. I've seen them stick on after a few months of sitting still. Airing up the tires a few lbs isn't a bad idea, either. Just remember to check them in the spring. rolling the car ahead or back once in a while will be good for the tires too.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roddy For This Useful Post:
Jlturner (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJmcnabb View Post
I had this debate as well. I checked prices for cheap 16 inch alloys and 195 winter rubber, vs stock wheels with 17 inch winters and it's still a lot cheaper to use 17s with 205 tires and put the extra money towards our summer wheels. I wish we could have gotten oem 16s with the car then that would be a no brainer winter set.

I don't think 15s will clear brakes. 16s are standard on the base model in Japan.

Narrower is better for winter, studs are ok but we have a lot of chinooks so lots of cold pavement driving. I had blizzaks on the Jetta and it was insanely good. I have cheap korean snows on the SUV and it works fine too (but awd). I'd have studs out east where the snow/ice is on the ground for months at a time.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #27
mxsled

Drives: Audi A3 2012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Store!
mxsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #28
MJmcnabb

Drives: Black BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I'm going to use a 205/55/16 on mine. If a 15" wheel will clear the brakes, I might even try a 195/65/15. A smaller wheel with more tire sidewall for the same overall diameter will give better grip in the snow. There is a tradeoff on dry roads, though. The steering and handling will be off somewhat. Are studs legal where you are?
Yes they are, I have never had an issue with snow in winter just ice that worries me and given the ride height i'm sure I will have to take a pass on heavy snow fall days anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
I had this debate as well. I checked prices for cheap 16 inch alloys and 195 winter rubber, vs stock wheels with 17 inch winters and it's still a lot cheaper to use 17s with 205 tires and put the extra money towards our summer wheels. I wish we could have gotten oem 16s with the car then that would be a no brainer winter set.

I don't think 15s will clear brakes. 16s are standard on the base model in Japan.

Narrower is better for winter, studs are ok but we have a lot of chinooks so lots of cold pavement driving. I had blizzaks on the Jetta and it was insanely good. I have cheap korean snows on the SUV and it works fine too (but awd). I'd have studs out east where the snow/ice is on the ground for months at a time.
These are the ones I was thinking of...

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+7

From what I understand they are a little pricey, but the studs wear at the same pace as the tread and I have heard nothing but rave reviews.
2001 Lexus is300 (RIP)
2013 Subaru BRZ
MJmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote