follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon86 View Post
Scarborough Toyota/Scion(Warden&Eglinton)- Silver FR-S AT

Brimell Toyota (Sheppard and Markham) Asphalt FR-S Manual

Markville Toyota (HWY7&Mcowan) Asphalt FR-S AT.

Those dealers have demos for you to test drive, that i've been too.
Thanks... I'll be visiting them soon

How long were the test drives you took?
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
Thanks... I'll be visiting them soon

How long were the test drives you took?
It really depends on which day you go to test drive. If there is a lineup of people waiting, then you could be behind the wheel for 10min-15mins. If yout the only one, then you can take all day if you wish.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
Hamza7

Drives: MiniVan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, even though I'm planing to purchase a FRS later next year after I graduate. I should warn you guys right now even before you take delivery. Please ask the dealership not to delivery prep the body of the car JUST THE MECHANICAL SIDE.

Basically they substandard products to make your car look all shiney but what they really do is screw up the paint. It's not their fault, they usually don't have knowledge in the field and their young guns usually try to hard.

Please take it to a reputable detailer when your car arrives to get the maximum life out of your paint. I'll be running a special just for this forum and I serve the GTA and York Region (Mobile Detailing).
Hamza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza7 For This Useful Post:
Oilers99 (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza7 View Post
Please ask the dealership not to delivery prep the body of the car
Please elaborate on the methods they use.
How can they screw up the paint?
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, even though I'm planing to purchase a FRS later next year after I graduate. I should warn you guys right now even before you take delivery. Please ask the dealership not to delivery prep the body of the car JUST THE MECHANICAL SIDE.

Basically they substandard products to make your car look all shiney but what they really do is screw up the paint. It's not their fault, they usually don't have knowledge in the field and their young guns usually try to hard.

Please take it to a reputable detailer when your car arrives to get the maximum life out of your paint. I'll be running a special just for this forum and I serve the GTA and York Region (Mobile Detailing).

Yeah, more details. How can you screw up a wash and wax, I would assume that's what they do.

Can't help but be cynical and think you're just trying to drum up business.
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
nemele

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Firestorm)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Any dealer other then DVN have an AT FRS?

I won't step foot there... buncha greedy sobs. One of the worst dealers I have dealt with lol.
Had several visits to Scarborough Toyota, I would highly recommend going there to test drive and ask any questions you have. Perhaps it was just me, but I had a great experience pre-ordering my FRS there.

They currently have a Silver AT FRS there to test drive.
nemele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
-DK-

Drives: FRS (Ultramarine MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemele View Post
Had several visits to Scarborough Toyota, I would highly recommend going there to test drive and ask any questions you have. Perhaps it was just me, but I had a great experience pre-ordering my FRS there.

They currently have a Silver AT FRS there to test drive.
Likewise, had a great experience pre-ordering my FRS there. Ask for Yuri, great sales guy who knows his stuff.

I was told my FRS should arrive on June 13 if all goes well (ie: no delays due to strike, or holds from scion/toyota).
-DK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know which dealers in Toronto have a White FR-S, i want to see it in person, to see how it compares to Asphalt color.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
ChristosG

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Hot Lava 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I also ordered mine through Jure at Scarborough Scion. He's awesome. I guess I'll see you guys on delivery day.
ChristosG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Hamza7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniz View Post
Yeah, more details. How can you screw up a wash and wax, I would assume that's what they do.

Can't help but be cynical and think you're just trying to drum up business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Please elaborate on the methods they use.
How can they screw up the paint?

No problem, cynical is good. These cars are beautiful machines and we should all learn how to keep them that way mechanically and aesthetically.

So these cars are made overseas, chances are they some of them are already made and the company is waiting for more to be built so they can ship out all together to their respective ports. While parked at industrial parks, loading docks and your dealership driveways they accumulate something called embedded contamination. This is dirt and debris on a smaller scale, it's impossible to remove during a regular wash and you may have seen detailers advertise clay bar treatment. Clay bar is one of the only ways you can remove these contaminants. Some dealerships do this, some don't. Clay bar treatment does help rid the car of contaminants but also instils something called clay bar marring, dealerships don't know how to remove this and I bet most of them don't even know what it is.

When the dealerships do wash the vehicles after they come off the transport truck, they usually use a single bucket and some sort of wash media *usually a sponge. Basically this helps instil swirls in your paint, the single buckets shares clean soapy water with the crap they take off your paint and thus they rub it back on to your paint.

When they dry, they use the same dirty drying *chamois or towel they've used on all of the other cars and drag it all over your paint to dry it. They are suppose to pat dry, usually this is all rushed so they don't have time or care to use proper procedure.

The wax they use is actually a glaze, next time you go to the dealer ask them what they use to protect your car before delivery and watch for the hesitation. For dealerships is all about money, they cheaper they can get their chemicals the better. I can't blame them, it is a business but sometimes they take it too far.

Now I know they might sound like a lot of hoopla because all I am doing is making assumptions and typing out of my ass and seeing is believing so here's a Mazda 3 I did. This thing was 3 weeks old, the customer came to me for a opti-coat service (basically a wax that will never die) and I asked him when he washed the car, he said never. I was surprised at swirls I saw in his paint.

Have a look.

Here's the car with all the dealer inscribed scratches, you notice uniformity in them which shows they must have been made with a repetitive action

Here's the 50/50 shot from a few angles

That's little ole me in the background

Here's after I polished the section out

I'm not trying to bash the dealer here nor am I trying to drum up business but I just want you guys to be weary of the risks. Next time go downstairs to where they wash and prep your vehicles, don't be surprised at the untrained employees that are doing it. Just my two cents.

Edit: I guess I should include this picture to validate my claims

Last edited by Hamza7; 05-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Hamza7

If you guys are the seeing is believing crowd, we can do a little experiment if I can get a 2 voluneers. One can have they car preped by the dealer the other by me. I will take photographic evidence of both cars on day 1 and a 2 month mark and we can all see what is what. Of course I will be doing the volunteers's car free of charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza7 For This Useful Post:
Oilers99 (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
If you guys are the seeing is believing crowd, we can do a little experiment if I can get a 2 voluneers. One can have they car preped by the dealer the other by me. I will take photographic evidence of both cars on day 1 and a 2 month mark and we can all see what is what. Of course I will be doing the volunteers's car free of charge.
I'm in!
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
Hamza7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
I'm in!
Okay I guess you should tell your dealer not to prep your car, tell them you've hired a Detailer. They may hesitate because it's their job to do it but tell them not to worry, you'll still give them a positive rating if they don't
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've already asked them not to.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote