follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #43
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSOCSO View Post
soooo... other subaru model's coilovers, springs, shock wont fit under the frs/brz?
or its too soon?
Fronts no for sure (although the strut top might be the same), rears are a maybe at this point.

Either way, its doubtful anything other than small bits (ball joints, maybe rear control arms, etc.) might fit exactly.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #44
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah it wouldn't be a good idea to just slap on a coilover made for a WRX, but if dimensions are the same it would speed up development. We're not counting on it.

Things like strut tops and bushings like Kostamojen said will hopefully work across platforms.

- drew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #45
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Photos of the suspension.

The rear is almost 100% the same as an Impreza:

Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #46
Mr. Bigham
Sir Nickolas

Drives: rocket ship
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like plenty of room for another inch or two on those rear wheels...
Mr. Bigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #47
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It does indeed look virtually identical to the Impreza. This should help the aftermarket get a jump on getting solutions to market...assuming they have brains enough to tune the dampers & springs to the different corner weights.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #48
nrclptcnsmniak
Professional Athlete

Drives: Marty's Hover Board
can somebody confirm... I am sure that I read that the suspension is going to be different from the FRS to the BRZ. And if it is how different is it?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #49
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrclptcnsmniak View Post
can somebody confirm... I am sure that I read that the suspension is going to be different from the FRS to the BRZ. And if it is how different is it?
I can't confirm... I presume it'll be differing spring and anti-sway bar rates, but the physical configuration will be the same.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #50
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It does indeed look virtually identical to the Impreza. This should help the aftermarket get a jump on getting solutions to market...assuming they have brains enough to tune the dampers & springs to the different corner weights.
What? It's not a front heavy 3300 lb AWD car? You mean we have to think and actually design something? Shoot....

Sad thing is I just know a lot of companies are gonna use the exact same parts from Subarus....they already do this kind of thing on vehicles from different manufacturers as it is.

Honestly I'm really excited to nerd out hardcore on this car.

- Andrew
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #51
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Sad thing is I just know a lot of companies are gonna use the exact same parts from Subarus....
This is why automotive aftermarket as a whole has such a bad reputation; the barrage of morons that want to "mod for the sake of modding" versus actually improving the car as a whole.

The suspension similarities do have me worried that most "tuners" will simply slap on existing parts without ANY sort of baseline data or calculation regarding what will result from the change. The consumer will be left will seriously half baked "offerings" that will ruin the cars balance and ride. Don't be like those "tuners".
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #52
Racecomp Engineering

I agree with you 100%. But it's not just the people doing the modding, it's the companies that spit hundreds of products for hundreds of different cars with zero design thought process. People expect that they've done some very basic R&D that a middle school kid could do with an afternoon long lesson in suspension 101 but....unfortunately people are being fooled (or you're right....they just don't care).

A lot of companies, even popular ones, used the exact same spring rates and damper inserts on coilovers for the GD chassis Impreza and GR Impreza. Even though they have completely different rear suspensions and motion ratios. A lot of companies used really unbalanced spring rates on the EVO (same stuff they used on GD impreza, even the valving) until a couple of us made enough noise that they took our suggestions (i guess we did some basic R&D for them). A lot of the stuff they missed isn't even that complicated....really basic suspension 101 stuff that they just had no clue on and yet people would still buy the stuff they sold.

For many it's the marketing and hype more than the actual quality of anything unfortunately. BUT there are a growing number of people who appreciate stuff that works and is well thought out rather than big flashy magazine ads.

Anyway, we'll try to be as open as possible.

- Andrew
Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #53
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Also the performance Subaru suspension products can get away with mediocre design since AWD covers up a lot of mistakes. A lot of people just equate the higher spring rates to better, because the car responds a bit more quickly. And hard ride = hardcore handling in a lot of people's minds.

(guilty of a ghetto handling swap myself... WRX struts and springs on a BD Legacy.)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #54
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
What? It's not a front heavy 3300 lb AWD car? You mean we have to think and actually design something? Shoot....

Sad thing is I just know a lot of companies are gonna use the exact same parts from Subarus....they already do this kind of thing on vehicles from different manufacturers as it is.

Honestly I'm really excited to nerd out hardcore on this car.

- Andrew
Absolutely they will. At best they may measure the stock rates, compare to impreza stock rates and change their impreza coilover rates based on that difference then stick a "86" sticker on the box.. that's R&D right?

Then again, that's fine for owners who just want a drop yo. :P
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #55
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Also the performance Subaru suspension products can get away with mediocre design since AWD covers up a lot of mistakes. A lot of people just equate the higher spring rates to better, because the car responds a bit more quickly. And hard ride = hardcore handling in a lot of people's minds.

(guilty of a ghetto handling swap myself... WRX struts and springs on a BD Legacy.)
Agreed!

All this is one reason why I can't stand companies that won't release any data, not even spring rates. Then they claim it's some top secret magic special sauce. Screw that. If the majority of suspension "tuners" are doing it wrong, why should I trust you based on your word? There shouldn't be anything to hide, unless there is something to hide (i.e. you don't know what you're doing).

I'm REALLY glad so many of you are on the same page. It honestly gives us a boost that you guys care about function and are intelligent. It's one way we gauge a market and this is all very very encouraging.

- andrew
Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #56
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Anyway, we'll try to be as open as possible.

- Andrew
Cool, I'll bite.

1st off, I'd appreciate a baseline measurement disclosure [i.e. stock spring rates, damping curves, stroke numbers, swaybar data, and hopefully some built-in alignment range. Yes, this gives competitors the results of your rather simple measurements, but it more importantly gives the customers a base in which to make reasonably informed decisions [i.e. if the dreaded lowering springs are still a bad decision for those that still want some compression travel].

From there, actually publish some data on your new offerings. Offering "custom" coilovers without being willing to disclose damping curves isn't going to impress me. Offering anti-roll bar drop links with non-teflon lined spherical bearings and not weather sealed at all isn't going to fly, no matter what trendy color they're anodized. Next, hard anodizing and powder coating is your friend. Offer parts that will actually survive and look good doing it.

I see from your webstore that you're in collaboration with KW and AST, that's good. Most people that want a simple drop will appreciate the ST or KW V1 coilovers, however if I were involved I'd lobby to have those dampers built as digressive as the budget allows; KW V1's are typically tuned quite linear, which isn't exactly world class. There will be a couple customers that want more though. Consider talking to Nitron, Ohlins, JRZ, et al to put together a legitimately competent race coilover set with Hoosier's in mind.

Cheers,
Ryan