follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #295
GTF!R3ST0RM

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
With my lifetime of Canadian winter driving experience with many different types of cars, I have never once gotten stuck in deep snow. That is until the frs! This first season alone I already have gotten stuck twice! Wtf! And its only January

The first time I got stuck, I got lucky and barely made it out and home.

Well, big snow storm tonight. A good 8-10 inches of snow. Got home from work safely then turned onto my unploughed neighborhood street. Stuck!

I never felt such failure in winter driving. No matter what I tried, the car just wouldn't go no more. The good thing is that I made it about 30 yards from my house. The bad thing was that I had to wake my wife up to help push the car. Imagine if I would've gotten stranded elsewhere... Fail!

The traction control is a fucking joke! Seriously, I mean that in that most sincerest way.

I got further with TRAC off than with it on doing it the old fashion way. If anything, TRAC is the garbage that got me stuck! There's a reason why I'm still kinned to old cars without all the nanny trash. Raw is true car control!

So the FRS is supposed to be my DD for the next 5 years and winter seasons. I'm feeling pretty upset at the moment. I honestly thought I'd be fine with car as long as it has winter tires. I've got a pretty bitter taste for the car's winter performance right now. Unacceptable.

What's more of a joke, I purposely chose to run 205/60r16's winter tires for more ground clearance. My car is 100% stock too.

I'm now having second thoughts on whether this is the adequate DD that's supposed to take me through these Canadian winters. It's sad that all my beaters in the past have never left me stranded. Including my college beater box 92 Toyota Tercel. But my sexy brand new FRS, complete shit.

I'm sort of considering selling this car come spring time. It just isn't good enough in snow. Hell, back then when my MR2 was non-turbo and my only car after college, it was a tank through the deepest snow on winter tires!

Front engine rwd FRS 53:47 is pure Canadian winter fail car. Never have I felt pretty helpless in snow. I just don't wanna be close to that kind of situation.

Now, the more I think about this, the new 2014 Mazda 3 hatch is looking awfully nicer these days.

/rant
I am not sure what you are complaining about...where about in Canada are you? And do you have winter tires?

I live in Bruce County on Ontario and there's a lot of snow up here. Streets are not plowed that often and not salted at all. My frs been running like a champ. I have not been stuck once. Couple of weeks back we had a blizzard up here and I was the only one on the streets drifting around lol. Traction works nicely and helps the car stay on the road. I have been keeping up with suv/trucks here with no problem at all. That being said, yes clearance is a small problem. My frs is lowered so it plows thru the snow at times. I am running with uniroyal tiger paw winter tires and no extra weight in the trunk.

Honestly driving a rwd is so much fun in the winter. Something you will miss with Mazda 3. I suggust get a good set of winter tires, add extra weight and drive this beauty around.
Sprint booster
HID and Tints
GTF!R3ST0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #296
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got stuck in a FWD car with all season tires.

I must sell my car now because it sucks in the winter!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #297
Coach Hines

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine MT
Garage
This is a RWD sports car....of course it's not meant for the winter!!! You should factor that in when you decided to buy the car!
Coach Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #298
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I disagree, this car is a blast in the winter. Just put decent winter tires on it, use a little common sense on the road, and enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
brzr (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #299
trix202

Drives: '13 Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
After taking this car down a closed road and my parents unplowed driveway with nothing more then good winter tires and no weight in the back this car is surprisingly winter capable for what it is
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #300
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, just drove home through really slippery roads (saw more than a few cars spin out on the 407) without a single issue.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #301
val_lixembeau

Drives: Acura RSX-S
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this:

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...-blizzard.html

where an Edmunds writer driving a Corvette gets stuck. But honestly, it didn't even look like that much snow compared to most of Canada.
val_lixembeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #302
Canadian Greg

Drives: Black 2013 fr-s
Winter

Agreed. Driven alot of rear wheel drive cars and this is one of the best I have had. Now my 72 Grand Prix was a different story.
Canadian Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attention whore, can't drive in snow, intellectual masturbation, just won't quit, suberman chronicles xiv, why people hate laywers