follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
not let fat chicks ride shotgun
lol +1

i dont plan on doing anything except some new rims and tires, its a DD
if i take out the track, then i would take out the rear seats, spare, etc.

oh i think its a good idea for the plywood. it makes it look nice vs missing seats, and depending on how thin the wood is it going to be lighter then the rear seats.

some people are trolls about using search feature. if we never revived old topics we would only talk about the latest information.
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Im interested in seeing the weight of the front and rear bumper beams for US models.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Shavenyak

Drives: 1999 Jeep Cherokee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i View Post
lol +1

i dont plan on doing anything except some new rims and tires, its a DD
if i take out the track, then i would take out the rear seats, spare, etc.

oh i think its a good idea for the plywood. it makes it look nice vs missing seats, and depending on how thin the wood is it going to be lighter then the rear seats.

some people are trolls about using search feature. if we never revived old topics we would only talk about the latest information.
The plywood is NOT a good idea. Unless Subaru completely changes the design of the rear seats, it's just molded foam with upholstery glued to it. Any plywood strong enough to hold whatever you put on it will be heavier than the foam.

If the weight really bothers you, run without it. If that's too ugly, velcro some cloth over the body. But in all reality, it will never make a big enough difference to matter.

I just wouldn't like to see a bunch of wood shop rejects rolling around thinking they improved performance. But who am I kidding. 90% of the mods that will be made to the BRZ/FRS will be detrimental to performance.

I already want to gouge my eyes out in preparation for all the hellaflush BRZ's we'll see in the first year. Bragging about their stance. When in reality, they removed 2/3rds of their tire contact patch.
Shavenyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavenyak View Post
Are you overweight? Since you're worried about weight that much, have you considered going on a diet? Pounds are pounds.

Good luck.

P.S. Really, don't do the plywood thing. Just remove the rear seats if you must. No one is going to want to sit back there anyways.
the asts are aluminum so i think they might save more than you would imagine. for the miata they weigh somewhere around 6 pounds a piece
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
yeabude

Drives: 94 300ZXTT,08TL typeS,93RX7TT, BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavenyak View Post
The plywood is NOT a good idea. Unless Subaru completely changes the design of the rear seats, it's just molded foam with upholstery glued to it. Any plywood strong enough to hold whatever you put on it will be heavier than the foam.

If the weight really bothers you, run without it. If that's too ugly, velcro some cloth over the body. But in all reality, it will never make a big enough difference to matter.

I just wouldn't like to see a bunch of wood shop rejects rolling around thinking they improved performance. But who am I kidding. 90% of the mods that will be made to the BRZ/FRS will be detrimental to performance.

I already want to gouge my eyes out in preparation for all the hellaflush BRZ's we'll see in the first year. Bragging about their stance. When in reality, they removed 2/3rds of their tire contact patch.
Wasn't planning on having anyone in the back considering it's pretty much too small even for a midget. The only reason I was thinking of using plywood that is shaped like the rear seat is because it will be an easy job... I was never going to just leave it looking like that, I'm going to use synthetic leather or something else to not make it look like a hack job. Either way it was just a thought.
yeabude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
Shavenyak

Drives: 1999 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
the asts are aluminum so i think they might save more than you would imagine. for the miata they weigh somewhere around 6 pounds a piece
Oops I forgot this is a fold down rear seat, not fixed like my STI was. Yeah, you might save some weight in the fold down portion. I still doubt plywood would be lighter, though.
Shavenyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
Xlr8

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
It will be interesting to see people on this board lighten up.
Xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
prest1ge

Drives: VW, 2013 subaru brz limited swp 6mt
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
vegetarian diet and working out every day
prest1ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
brzmaybe

Drives: Subaru
Good on you for asking the question and making some suggestions. Yes, we've talked about it before, and yes, there are existing posts. But the question deserves its own thread, and a new one, at that.

Yes... I know (and often use) the search functions. In this case it might be more constructive to find some of the better historical posts and repost them into this new thread. And then make this thread sticky.
brzmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
MrBonus

Drives: 2012 Boss Laguna Seca
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Im interested in seeing the weight of the front and rear bumper beams for US models.
I imagine it will be significant but you've got to be crazy to remove them if you're still planning on driving on the street.
MrBonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The car's already light. I imagine outside of forged aluminum wheels, lightweight battery, 2-pc discs with aluminum hats, a lighter exhaust, and aluminum suspension components it's not going to get much lighter until you start gutting the inside. The sound deadening should weigh a bunch, but the return on investment there is low as effort is high; I have no intention of ever gutting the interior.

I think the proper method of approaching this is not making it even lighter, but to subtract weight where it is most easily subtracted and to add power where it is most easily added. Let's be real here, we can't Colin Chapman this car more than it's already been Colin Chapman-ed. I see this as more of a Jeremy Clarkson type of car: more powuhhh. It's infinitesimally easier to add power than it is to subtract weight, which is why the car already comes as light as it is compared to other cars.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzmaybe View Post

Yes... I know (and often use) the search functions. In this case it might be more constructive to find some of the better historical posts and repost them into this new thread. And then make this thread sticky.
If anything the other thread should be made a sticky. Not this one.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
tlp

Drives: Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The car's already light. I imagine outside of forged aluminum wheels, lightweight battery, 2-pc discs with aluminum hats, a lighter exhaust, and aluminum suspension components it's not going to get much lighter until you start gutting the inside. The sound deadening should weigh a bunch, but the return on investment there is low as effort is high; I have no intention of ever gutting the interior.

I think the proper method of approaching this is not making it even lighter, but to subtract weight where it is most easily subtracted and to add power where it is most easily added. Let's be real here, we can't Colin Chapman this car more than it's already been Colin Chapman-ed. I see this as more of a Jeremy Clarkson type of car: more powuhhh. It's infinitesimally easier to add power than it is to subtract weight, which is why the car already comes as light as it is compared to other cars.
Good Point. There seems to be quite a few companies doing R & D on a turbo/supercharger kit which will no doubt add weight to the front end. Maybe a Dry Carbon Bonnet is in order too.
tlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #28
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We did corner weighting on our base BRZ, from the factory it was 1170kg. Right after that, we did the corner weighting on our 2005(ish) STI widebody race car, which has been lightened and stripped and lightened and stripped some more. After a massive effort, we got that down to... 1220kg. So a factory BRZ is 50kg lighter than a race car with one seat, a lot of bare metal, and every lightweight replacement we could put in.

I'd say the BRZ/FRS is a pretty good job right off the showroom floor. Especially given todays safety needs and mandates.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
www.facebook.com/BRZSportsCarClub
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote