follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pulled over..

Hey, just got pulled over today and got 2 infractions from a douche-cop on a motorcycle. He says he's been eyeing my car, apparently it's loud and it doesn't help that my car is bright red..

So he wrote me a fix-it ticket for no front license plate (bone-head move on my part, been meaning to purchase a license plate relocater), but also got me for a modified exhaust 27151(a) cvc?!? 27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

My exhaust is definitely below the legal limit (I think 94-95dB). Didn't want to argue about it, was already late to class so I have a "Notice to Appear" in Oakland to fix these infractions. I'm ordering the license plate relocater now but what do I do for the exhaust?? Do I have to put the stock exhaust back in, take it to oakland, then swap it again when they OK it?

Edit: Both infractions are NON-correctable violations

He also asked me to open my hood.. thank god most of it was stock-looking, I'm installing a Full Blown turbo kit in a month or two, can't imagine what he would have said if he saw a ginormous turbo and intercooler..

Last edited by chiefshayan; 03-19-2014 at 04:40 PM.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
FUN BRZ
Drive 2 Eat, Eat 2 Drive

Drives: FUN SUPERCHARGED 2013 Limited BRZ
Garage
I've gotten a Fix-It ticket before... a few years back on my 05 Accord. If I remember correctly you should have three/four options when you receive a letter in the mail.

I can only recall three of them-

1. Fix everything, take it to a CHP/Police station so they can visually say you fixed it and pay a fee.
  2. Pay a higher fee/fine and just admit you were wrong and not have to do anything else.
  3. Fix everything, go to court to get the fee you have to pay lowered.

My ticket was for tint so all I did was pay the $100ish to admit I was at fault. Didn't have to do anything else.

FUN_BRZ <--- "Insta-Fun"
FUN BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
sdlynx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Firestorm
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Just an FYI...

Not sure if it helps, but maybe you can have your exhaust tested, if it's CARB legal, then you may stand a chance on that part. As for the plate, fix it and get it signed off at the station for certain!

CHP BULLETIN NO. 98-100

EXCESSIVE NOISE ENFORCEMENT
PASSENGER VEHICLES, LIGHT TRUCKS AND MOTORCYCLES

The California Highway Patrol (CHP), Commercial Vehicle Section (CVS), has received many inquiries about excessive noise emitted by passenger vehicles, light trucks and motorcycles. Enforcement personnel and the public have inquired regarding enforcement of the Vehicle Code (VC) sections pertaining to excessive noise emitted by these vehicles.

Excessive noise is primarily a nuisance issue rathers than a safety concern, and determination of excessive noise is subjective. For this reason, enforcement personnel are to exercise sound professional judgment in making a determination of violation. The following guidelines and attached question and answer sheet (Attachment A) provide guidance to enforcement personnel regarding appropriate enforcement procedures.

Enforcement Guidelines

The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1) are not equipped with a muffler;
2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or,
3) have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.).

Clearing Citations

When clearing excessive noise citations issued by the CHP or allied agencies, personnel are to consider exhaust systems in compliance if they incorporate a reasonably effective muffler, do not emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, and appear to be in good repair.

VC 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
sdlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Buy silencers for your exhaust if you don't want to remove it.

and What sdlynx said is correct. You may be legal (if it is 95 db and you are exactly 95/94 db), but its subjective. If the cop says its too loud then its too loud.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
onefitz

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Good 'ole California..
onefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Sorry to hear! I've been meaning to purchase a license plate relocator, looks like that's next on my list. May i ask what exhaust you have? good luck!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
chiefshayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefitz View Post
Good 'ole California..
Seriously.. douche-motorcycle cop was so uptight, I'm usually kind to them, but this guy was a real a-hole. Barely knew how to even ride his bike, almost tipped it over when he stopped me.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
chiefshayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaessss View Post
Sorry to hear! I've been meaning to purchase a license plate relocator, looks like that's next on my list. May i ask what exhaust you have? good luck!
Apparently the entire state of california are cracking down because of Fast-track and some fast-track stops only have front cameras so they're handing out tickets left and right. It's a Milltek non-resonated, not obnoxiously loud but definitely not stock-sounding.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
When I lived in LA (25 years ago) the police would not even bother to pull you over for NO LICENSE PLATES AT ALL..... Now they want to bitch about a missing front plate???

Times have changed....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Krispeee

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Dang, sorry to hear this. Guess I better put my plates on.

Last fix it ticket I got was from a CHP officer for front tints. I took them off, got it signed off by the local police department, and submitted the ticket + processing fee to get everything squared away.

Good luck with your situation. Should be good if you put your stock exhaust back and maybe get it signed off?
Krispeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
chiefshayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispeee View Post
Dang, sorry to hear this. Guess I better put my plates on.

Last fix it ticket I got was from a CHP officer for front tints. I took them off, got it signed off by the local police department, and submitted the ticket + processing fee to get everything squared away.

Good luck with your situation. Should be good if you put your stock exhaust back and maybe get it signed off?
I'm thinking I might just take the exhaust to them the way it is, and see what they say. It still has a muffler and it's compliant with the sound dB limit, plus I think it'd be good information for the rest of the Norcal community if they're interested in modifying their exhaust.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Prowl647

Drives: Brz premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First off- what exhaust do you have? Depending on manufacturer they could have a CARB legal sticker or EO number. Usually that will be enough to get out of 27151 but possibly not 27150. Since he made those non correctable you may be screwed regardless. Did you give the cop lip or something?
Prowl647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
chiefshayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl647 View Post
First off- what exhaust do you have? Depending on manufacturer they could have a CARB legal sticker or EO number. Usually that will be enough to get out of 27151 but possibly not 27150. Since he made those non correctable you may be screwed regardless. Did you give the cop lip or something?
It's a Milltek and probably won't have a carb legal sticker as it's made in England. I don't get why he checked non-correctable, I did everything he said but he said he's seen me going fast in the past. He saw me a red light today and was behind me, didn't even see that I didn't have a front plate so I'm guessing I've been on his radar before and was waiting to get me good for anything he could.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
Apparently the entire state of california are cracking down because of Fast-track and some fast-track stops only have front cameras so they're handing out tickets left and right. It's a Milltek non-resonated, not obnoxiously loud but definitely not stock-sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
I'm thinking I might just take the exhaust to them the way it is, and see what they say. It still has a muffler and it's compliant with the sound dB limit, plus I think it'd be good information for the rest of the Norcal community if they're interested in modifying their exhaust.
Wow, I have the milltek exhaust (granted I have the resonated, but I don't think the unresonated is any louder) and it is not nearly as loud as all the other exhausts other people have. Not good since I was planning on doing over pipe and headers.

Based on what @sdlynx posted, I'd agree, just take it the way it is.

I guess this is the price we pay to live in this beautiful state.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
chiefshayan (03-19-2014)