follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
Shadowsong6

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow, I wasn't expecting this thread to get as many responses as it did lol. Lots of good advice here, and (surprisingly) not a lot of bias.
Shadowsong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol740 View Post
Sometimes I'd park out of the way, then I'd worry about someone screwing with it BECAUSE I was the dbag that parks his vette way far out of the way.
Nobody think you're a douchebag for parking far away. You're only perceived as a douchebag if you take up several spots, regardless of the location.

I always park far away.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #31
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
All other issues aside, I would skip the vette simply because the interior still looks and feels like a 1993 Camaro interior.

They are awesome performers though, especially for what they cost. I have just been disappointed every time I sat in one.

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fasteddy For This Useful Post:
86kahl (10-02-2015)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Unless you are rich or very well off financially there are only two times in your life when you can own a Vette. Those are either pre-marriage and family or post marriage and family (middle aged). I always sort of wanted one but by the time I could afford it (post marriage and family) I had outgrown my desire for one. If the Vette is a car that you have always wanted then buy it now while you can really enjoy it and the compromises of owning it will not interfere with the rest of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Nobody think you're a douchebag for parking far away. You're only perceived as a douchebag if you take up several spots, regardless of the location.

I always park far away.
No, they do not think you are a douchebag. They know exactly why your car is parked way out there by itself but then some of them will become douchbags and purposely go out there and mess with your car out of spite or jealousy.
Jond63 (10-30-2014), Sonolin (03-08-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A C6 vette would be fun, but the C5 Z06 is a better car (in my opinion). 400+ horsepower and the damn thing weighs like 3,000lbs. Very rigid and has an incredible transmission. The best words to describe a Z06 is capable and dangerous. You can literally get in trouble anywhere at anytime with a vette. It wil punish your mistakes. With that said, I would buy the Z06 for a fun car.

I would assimilate this conversation to the common sportbike argument....

Should I buy a Ninja 250/500 or a 600cc bike first?

Well....the 250/500 V twins are plenty fun and can get you in trouble, but one wrong blip of the throttle in a 600cc+ bike and you will get hurt, no question.

Drive them both, be honest about what you want from a vehicle. I really like the FR-S, but for a fun weekend car I would need it to be a little faster and have some more grunt down low.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
leon78 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
FRS you try to kill your car while driving it on public roads and have fun doing it...

Corvette tries to kill you while you are having fun trying not to die while driving it.

In the end both are fun. I went with the Z06 after test driving both.
Max Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
The twins can hold more golf bags in the back, and you wont have to worry about seeing another one at the golf course....
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
PureSportsCars

Drives: 1998 Corvette Roadster
I have a C5 roadster with 38k miles on it and i love it. That being said, I'm selling it to buy a BRZ...
PureSportsCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #37
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Might be hard to find a used manual 'Vette that hasn't been beat on for a good price. <-- Speaking from experience.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #38
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Might be hard to find a used manual 'Vette that hasn't been beat on for a good price. <-- Speaking from experience.
After all those guys 50+ owned them with low miles? Maybe a bit more $ than a high mileage, but worth it.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
PureSportsCars

Drives: 1998 Corvette Roadster
Its pretty easy to find a vette that hasn't been beat on. I have one. The vette owners club that is in my area is all 50+ year old dudes who only drive their cars to the OC meeting and on the rallys and cruises that the club does. And i've only seen a couple of them even blip the throttle.
PureSportsCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
After all those guys 50+ owned them with low miles? Maybe a bit more $ than a high mileage, but worth it.
Exactly my point. Are low mileage, babied 'Vettes (of the sort the OP is looking for) now at the pricepoint of a new FR-S? Every used RWD sports car I've owned has had some sort of surprise problem pop-up after months of ownership. I've learned used sports cars are notorious for this. Now if it were a used family sedan or luxury car or automatic 'Vette, then I'd be less weary. Or if I paid the premium/got lucky finding a low mileage babied Corvette ($30k+ asking prices when I shopped). To me, the OP's question boils down to "do I buy a new sports car or a thoroughly used sports car?" assuming the prices match. I vote new every time.

Talking about getting it out of your system and used sports cars, wouldn't a much rarer supercar be more desirable to get out of your system? If you're considering the FR-S and its power level, then you might not be disappointed with an NSX! I'd choose that over the common 'Vette if I had to buy a used sports car.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #41
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wow.. I thought I wrote this... Same situation and feelings.. First vette was a 99 FRC.. Then a 05 z06... Actually had two of them.. My last one I recently sold was a 08 which I did museum delivery on.. Z51, NPP.
I had a beater car with each one for the same reasons u mentioned..
That and not being able to use it to its potential on the street.. And I hated the big ass tires.. I liked the C6 better cause it didn't have the overhangs and the interior by fisher price... But the 05 Z06 was awesome.. Visceral feel with sharp handling.. But less is more .. My beater car is a scion xD.. I enjoy it nimbleness and light weight characteristics.. Able to rev it up and zip around with 128hp and its actually enjoyable.. It's almost invisible to LEO's and parking lots.. Park it anywhere and never worry.. Less is more sometimes.. I had 14 years of vette ownership... Time for something more practical and less attention getting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol740 View Post
Having just sold a Z06 and bought an FRS,(do not read that as I replaced the vette with, because that's not quite accurate) I'll say it depends what your purpose for having the car is. Daily driver? Have any kids? Have another DD? How protective are you of your car? Do you actually have the cash to buy the car, and not stretch yourself too thin (not trying to sound like a d&@! here, just saying)

People ask me why I sold my Z06, damn near every time I mention it. Here is the list, and reference your own reasons. Make no mistake, the vette is by far, the "better" sports car. Hence the price tag, but the upfront cost is only part of what you spend.

I didn't push the car anymore, I was too worried about devaluing it, and after it ticked over the 40k mileage mark, I got really stingy. Again, more worried about putting miles on it, than having fun with it.

I was tired of having two cars, one daily and the vette. Tired of the maintenance of 3 cars (wifes too) 3 sets of tires, one set being close to 2 grand and staggered so you can't rotate. Oh, and if you drive like I do sometimes, they wear quick.

I wanted to be able to go from work and pick up my kids from school without going home first.

My previous car was an Evo, relatively cheap mods. Vettes are not cheap to mod, and you are hurting it's value. My Z stayed stock.

I hated taking the car out to movies, or the mall, I was always worried about people screwing with it, or hitting it with their doors. Sometimes I'd park out of the way, then I'd worry about someone screwing with it BECAUSE I was the dbag that parks his vette way far out of the way.

Want to race, and none of the above bothers you? Buy the Vette. Want to have fun, in a relatively cheap car, that still provides thrills, looks good, and is slightly more practical? Twins.

Also gas mileage was surprisingly good in the vette, so I didn't mention it.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #42
bluesman

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Truth be told, you'll never get the desire for a Corvette out of your system until you get one. For some, its charms win it a lifetime place in the garage. But many are cured of desire by the downside, which is considerable. Build quality is not great. The nose is a magnet for parking lot barriers (which seem to grow taller when they see a 'vette coming). It drinks twice the fuel my FR-S does in identical use. It's a little delicate on wet roads and unusable in snow (which is irrelevant to many). The interior's not comfortable for all body sizes and proportions, although if it fits you well it's not bad at all. For performance at that level, it's a bargain. But for cars in that price range (when new), it's a bit crude.

It's a fine, fun track car if you just want to take it out to play with it and get some experience. But if you want to be competitive in club run groups and you're not a born racer, you'll be 'way over your head - these are fast, powerful cars and they stick really well until they let go. I've been racing small bore cars in SCCA, SVRA and VSCCA for 35+ years, and I'd need at least a season in a 'vette to be halfway comfortable dicing with the pack. It'll rapidly chew up a lot of expensive rubber on the track, too.

None of us would fault you for buying a Corvette - it's an almost universal desire that few have never had. In fact, we'll admire you for your courage. And none of us will say "I told you so" if you've had enough of it in a few months and sell it for a BRZ/FR-S. Let him who is without sin......

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
I had an 88 C4 vette before the FR-S, and thats why I got it....wanted to get away from the high HP FWD thing...low sitting RWD coupe was just way more fun for weekend duty.
I'm amazed that no one picked this up, and I assume it's a typo: a 'vette is RWD, not FWD. And "low sitting RWD coupe" seems to me to describe both a 'vette and our FTs.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote