follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
It probably needs to be re-set, I think it's a fairly simple procedure from what the technicians tell me.

Then again I might just be thinking of the procedure to re-set the auto-up/auto-down feature.
Yes, this is normal behavior and by design. It's not a problem. If the windows notice any funny business, they'll do this.

Turn the car to accessory (so you can roll up/down the windows but not to where the engine is on)

Roll the window down as far as it will go. Roll the window up and hold the button for several seconds. Release the button and then hold it up for one second. Release the button one more time and hold it up for one second.

Voila, your window works again.

FYI, this is documented in the manual.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-22-2013), Turbowned (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Yes, this is normal behavior and by design. It's not a problem. If the windows notice any funny business, they'll do this.

Turn the car to accessory (so you can roll up/down the windows but not to where the engine is on)

Roll the window down as far as it will go. Roll the window up and hold the button for several seconds. Release the button and then hold it up for one second. Release the button one more time and hold it up for one second.

lol so this was all a storm in the water glass
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I had a similar issue this morning, the car had frost all over and opened the pass. door to put my baggages on the seat then drove off. After about 30 minutes I tried to roll down the passenger side windows...didn't work. I tried playing with the lock button but no, nothing.

Then I leaned over and used the button on the actual passenger door and it went down and up, and everything was reseted.

I guess it's just a quirk, I have yet to own a perfect car This won't be much of an issue when the temperature is permanently under zero, fluctuation around the freezing temperature is bad for everything mechanical sitting outside. I hardly see this as an "issue", ice fucks everything, and water can seep anywhere!
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Easy way to tell if this is the issue is that the light on the window switch will blink when it needs to be reset.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
DookDookDGM
BR-Zizzle

Drives: 2013 BR-Z, 1985 AE86, 1986 AE86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DookDookDGM
thank god for a garage and a winter beater.

2013 Dark Grey Metallic Subaru BRZ
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-SR5
1985 Toyota Corolla SR5
DookDookDGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
SPEEDGOD
I don't lie.

Drives: AE86 Successor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

The problem started for me -6 to -12 degrees celcius (21 F, 10F) and the reset works. But the real problem now is the window rattling. Does anyone have this problem?
SPEEDGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As mentioned, it was designed to do this. It is a fail safe of some sort. The fix is easy enough if a bit annoying if it becomes a regular thing.

The danger is if you do not realize that it is down and it rains; wet interior.

There is a permanent fix at the expense of your "Door Ajar" light no longer working.

Myself, I am guilty of not spending enough time reading the manual. In the case of this car, it really is required if you want to make sense of the endless lights that demand your attention. The good news is that if you do read the manual, there is some funny stuff in there to keep you amused!

While you are in there, have a read on how to set the radio to FRS mode since I bet it is on TC mode! (Seems to be the default setting)
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Bingo. RTFM
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
oh man will the issues with this car never end? I had been planning on getting one after the engine issues got sorted, but now thread after thread is cropping up with all manner of quality issues and I'm starting to get seriously disappointed. So much for Japanese reliability...
Then don't get this car, get a Kia Soul, that's a reliable car
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
oh man will the issues with this car never end? I had been planning on getting one after the engine issues got sorted, but now thread after thread is cropping up with all manner of quality issues and I'm starting to get seriously disappointed. So much for Japanese reliability...
Wait a year or two. The car does have a lot of early release issues, but nothing serious. The alternative is to keep a sense of humour and become well acquainted with the Toyobaru service department over the same time-frame.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait for the second gear synchro issues to go away before pulling the trigger. This is the leading candidate for both the most annoying and potentially expensive (after warranty) issue that I can see.

The car really does drive as well as advertized.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote