follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Spencer Strayer
Drifter in Progress

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, MKV GTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Talking Euro fan converting to JDM... NEED HELP

Hey guys! Currently I own an mkv VW GTi and I am selling it to buy an fr-s (link here if anyone wants to check it out: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5814857-WTS-2008-4dr-White-GTi-on-Bags!-18-quot-BBS-Super-RS-s!!-Many-Mods!)

Anyways back to my point... In the euro community only a handful of rims are acceptable. Usually they're deep lipped with many spokes. Also there are only a handful of brands that are acceptable like Rotiform, BBS, CCW, etc...

My question is, what is usually acceptable in the JDM community!

PS: How do I know what rims will fit the FR-S, like what is the bolt pattern I'm looking for here?
Spencer Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer Strayer For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Strayer View Post
Hey guys! Currently I own an mkv VW GTi and I am selling it to buy an fr-s (link here if anyone wants to check it out: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-s!!-Many-Mods!)

Anyways back to my point... In the euro community only a handful of rims are acceptable. Usually they're deep lipped with many spokes. Also there are only a handful of brands that are acceptable like Rotiform, BBS, CCW, etc...

PS: How do I know what rims will fit the FR-S, like what is the bolt pattern I'm looking for here?
Here on this forum you will find that many people dislike 'slammed' vehicles and 'hard-parking'.

The general consensus is modest drop, 17-19" Wheels of decent width, with non-stretched tires. This is probably mostly due to the fact that these setups tend to best for those that like to track/AutoX their FRS/BRZ.

In regards to wheel info, you will find lots of very valuable information in the Wheels/Tires section of the website:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

You can also find great info in the Suspension section:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Welcome to the forum! Remember to use the search button when you are looking for something, because chances are, we already have a wealth of info on it!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-11-2012), track_warrior (09-11-2012), wheelhaus (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Spencer Strayer
Drifter in Progress

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, MKV GTi
Garage
Thank you so much! So what you're saying is I'm not allowed to scrape my undercarriage everywhere I go now?
Spencer Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer Strayer For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i think the requirement in this forum is that you have to be able to go over speedbumps head on
wrxgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxgoose For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Dude, just do it the way that you feel it BUT this car it meant to be driven hard around corners to be fully appreciated!
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Bounce
Banned

Drives: I
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Slam this car, and it no longer serves any purpose RIP.

General rule is don't go over 17/18" if you care about lap times
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bounce For This Useful Post:
Spencer Strayer (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
OP if I were you, I wouldn't ask people for their opinions on the matter. It's your car. Do whatever you want to it. If you want to saw it in half, by all means...go ahead bro.
BlaineWasHere (09-11-2012), Synack (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
megatron
It's over prime!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm usually very conservative when I give my opinion on something since I tend to give the other person the benift of a doubt when it comes to what they are thinking or doing but in all honnesty the drop on your VW is fucking stupid. Do yourself a favor and never do that again! especially on the FR-S! :-P
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to megatron For This Useful Post:
Bounce (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
people only wanting to do what was accepted is exactly why I stopped enjoying the euro scene. Do whatever you like man, it's your car, stop trying to impress people online.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome man! I've got a mk6 GTI and FR-S. The difference between the Japanese vs. VW scene is pretty interesting. More of a function > form philosophy going on here.

Most people here would agree with the guy above who said the FR-S was meant to be driven not hard parked, so you won't find as many people modifying with non-functional mods (bags, stretch, etc.)

That said, do what you want. Ultimately the only person you've got to worry about making happy with your car is yourself.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
ill roller

Drives: BRZ/E30/IS300/LS400
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Asking what's acceptable in the jdm community and what's acceptable on this forum are two totally different things. Having been all over the country and seen a lot of things in the "scene" I can tell you that the jdm community is very accepting of the VW style of individuality,slamming the fuck out of your car, bags, stretched tires, etc. and not so accepting of cheapo parts and beat up cars. My general philosophy is whether your car is a daily driver, track car, show car, it's your business what you want to do with it, just don't cheap out in important places.

This forum however seems to be the polar opposite from what I've seen so far. It reminds me a lot of the IS300 and 8th gen civic forums when I first joined them. Everyone was all about whatever they could do to the car the fastest and cheapest. Knock-off wheels (in the highest offset possible), lowering springs, pointless modification like aftermarket pulleys are/were the norm.

In the end, just do what you want, fuck what's acceptable.
ill roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
OP if I were you, I wouldn't ask people for their opinions on the matter. It's your car. Do whatever you want to it. If you want to saw it in half, by all means...go ahead bro.
QFT!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
anteater86
Bo Ding!!

Drives: 2013 FR-S/Asphalt AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
I agree. Though I do find a little humor in the fact that there are certain brands that are "acceptable" by a particular "community" ...
anteater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
diirk

Drives: Audi S5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Strayer View Post
Hey guys! Currently I own an mkv VW GTi and I am selling it to buy an fr-s (link here if anyone wants to check it out: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5814857-WTS-2008-4dr-White-GTi-on-Bags!-18-quot-BBS-Super-RS-s!!-Many-Mods!)

Clean GTI you have there. GLWS. I've had a couple of them and a few other VW's. Also a number of Suby's.

With that said, I think the folks on this forum are a little more performance oriented then the typical JDM forum. If you hit NASIOC, there's a lot more stretch and poke going on there.

But, if you do get into an FRS/BRZ early, I'm sure you can help develope bags and such if you're still interested in that type of ride.

Otherwise, I'd say just hang out for a while and get a feel for what you want to do.

15 Audi S5 DSG Daytona Grey | Pinnacle Tint
<SOLD>13 SWP BRZ Prem MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote