follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #169
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Honestly, he's beating a dead horse like he's driven it. So far R&T, and Motor Trend are the only ones that have mentioned the dreaded understeer, yet both reviewed about it highly and called it the best Vette yet. I'll wait for more reviews, and understeer or not, it's still ultra competitive and able to put down some very respectable times compared to cars that are way above its price range. He clearly just needs an excuse not to buy it, and honestly, most people love the Corvette or just write it off, I didn't expect that mentality to change. He'd be much happier spending the extra coin and getting a 911 or Ferrari.....

why can't we ever have car discussions without things degrading into personal attacks like this?

I mean @Summerwolf is already on my ignore list where he belongs and has been there since I first joined this forum and I never reply to anything he says. I did so this time despite my previous better judgment and already regret it. But now this....

No I don't need an excuse not to buy it, don't say stuff you do not know. And I'm not biased for any brands I'll buy the car I like and I was considering a C7 before anything came out on the C8. So please don't post things like this claiming stuff about me when you don't know me at all.

This is a forum for discussing cars. When someone mentions something negative about a car you like, you don't need to assume bad things about that person.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #170
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post

why can't we ever have car discussions without things degrading into personal attacks like this?

I mean @Summerwolf is already on my ignore list where he belongs and has been there since I first joined this forum and I never reply to anything he says. I did so this time despite my previous better judgment and already regret it. But now this....

No I don't need an excuse not to buy it, don't say stuff you do not know. And I'm not biased for any brands I'll buy the car I like and I was considering a C7 before anything came out on the C8. So please don't post things like this claiming stuff about me when you don't know me at all.

This is a forum for discussing cars. When someone mentions something negative about a car you like, you don't need to assume bad things about that person.
Umm ok?

None of what I said was a personal attack. Many people including my self brought up valid points to counter your argument, but in the end you decided, without driving the car, and based on 2 reviews (and the strong social media presence of Jason Cammisa), that the car was a write off based on the crippling understeer. Despite the car being a resounding success and living up to the hype in every metric. Not to mention we're still discussing the BASE Corvette. One can only draw the conclusion that you just don't "get" the Corvette, i'll reiterate it. People either love it or hate and I didn't expect that mentality to change.

I was also being very sincere about the Ferrari/911 comment. Literally nothing else compares to the metrics of the new Vette with out stepping up.

Now please show me on the doll where I hurt you?

Last edited by RayRay88; 10-25-2019 at 08:54 AM.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:04 AM   #171
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Nope. The alpha platform is amazing. The only thing I miss is the brake feel and brake pedal with the 86 and essex/ap racing brakes. The ZLE is better in every other way. Well... minus consumable cost. I'm not a "camaro guy" but the 6th gen ss 1le and better cars truly are amazing cars for the money. Even with the perfectly good brz sitting around I still take the Camaro to track days without regret. It's a brilliant car.
Hey thanks for pointing out the alpha platform. I actually went back and saw the reviews on this car wondering what made me overlook it.

Now I remember, it was the Ford Mustang GT350. I think both cars are somewhat comparable with me liking the GT350 purely for engine sound alone (which is subjective).

When I went shopping for a GT350, there was a C7 parked right next to it and I was thinking to myself, that's a very pretty car and looks much smaller next to the GT350 which I prefer. How come I never considered a Vette? then within a few weeks the C8 was announced. And now I'm here.

Ultimately, I think the C8 (once they sort out at least the understeer) is the better pick for me. I've experienced MR before and there is just something mystical about that platform.

The C8 got a ton of things right minus the understeer. The biggest among them also is the short gear ratios. I don't want to hit 80 MPH+ in 2nd gear, you don't get to enjoy rowing through them without getting arrested.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #172
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@rennlistuser3 - I like how I apparently triggered you so badly somewhere you remember that you "ignored" me, but you still mentioned me here.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #173
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
@rennlistuser3 - I like how I apparently triggered you so badly somewhere you remember that you "ignored" me, but you still mentioned me here.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I'm on his ignore list too now, because I "attacked" him.

I would usually never reply to a pedantic thread like 86 vs C8, but I thought he might have been over reacting to the understeer of death campaign currently running. I'll be sure to keep real conversation in the C8 thread in the other cars section.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #174
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey thanks for pointing out the alpha platform. I actually went back and saw the reviews on this car wondering what made me overlook it.

Now I remember, it was the Ford Mustang GT350. I think both cars are somewhat comparable with me liking the GT350 purely for engine sound alone (which is subjective).

When I went shopping for a GT350, there was a C7 parked right next to it and I was thinking to myself, that's a very pretty car and looks much smaller next to the GT350 which I prefer. How come I never considered a Vette? then within a few weeks the C8 was announced. And now I'm here.

Ultimately, I think the C8 (once they sort out at least the understeer) is the better pick for me. I've experienced MR before and there is just something mystical about that platform.

The C8 got a ton of things right minus the understeer. The biggest among them also is the short gear ratios. I don't want to hit 80 MPH+ in 2nd gear, you don't get to enjoy rowing through them without getting arrested.
GT350 does sound nice.. even if they are slower on track and have far more issues.. They are however the more practical car (trunk space, interior storage, etc).

Although I find it somewhat funny that you mention enjoying rowing through the gears and the C8's gear ratios as a pro in that regard when it's a DCT and you don't row through the gears at all. When the computer is doing the work why care what MPH the gear changes happen at?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-24-2019), Summerwolf (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #175
rennlistuser3

Quote:
GT350 does sound nice.. even if they are slower on track and have far more issues.. They are however the more practical car (trunk space, interior storage, etc).

Although I find it somewhat funny that you mention enjoying rowing through the gears and the C8's gear ratios as a pro in that regard when it's a DCT and you don't row through the gears at all. When the computer is doing the work why care what MPH the gear changes happen at?
It's the same complaint people have with CVT. CVT technically is the best because it keep the engine at best RPM and that would technically be the fastest. But people complain of droning. So they "create" artificial gearshifts in a lot of CVT gearboxs just that people can hear the engine revving up and down going through the virtual gears.

I think it's fun to rev through the engine all the way to redline than grab the next gear and repeat. If the car say hits 100 MPH in 1st gear than manual/DCT/automatic no matter what, it wouldn't be as fun as say the FT86 that needs to go into 4th by the time you're at 100 MPH.

DCT is another thing. I actually never had a car with DCT and have no idea how much I'd love/hate it. But regardless of DCT or full manual, short gear ratios is a must. This is even more the case if you're getting a MR car with the engine right behind your ears and you can really hear it rev to redline.

What issues do the GT350 have? at the dealer the one that he showed me actually an engine failure and was replaced!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #176
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anything mechanical can and will break. My first fa20 lasted 20k miles
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #177
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
What issues do the GT350 have? at the dealer the one that he showed me actually an engine failure and was replaced!
Engines blowing up, massive oil consumption, etc
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #178
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Engines blowing up, massive oil consumption, etc
The C8 Z06 is rumored to also be a flat plane V8, I hope this will not also be the case for it

Flat planes sound crazy awesome