follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #127
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
yeah no need to take it too seriously at all, just a chance to chat about the exciting new C8 among car enthusiasts. I love cars, all cars. Heck I'm even considering a Wrangler. No need for egos to get bent for comparing a Corvette to an FT86.

Besides, I wouldn't go as far as saying they're polar opposites. I own an FT86 and am considering C8 and yes the C8 is well within my means. They're not polar opposites to me but that's just me. They are viable options both for the same purpose: driving pleasure

But I guess that's just me. Don't mean to offend anyone but that's my 2 cents.
Lightweight, low power cars built for corners vs a high power GT cruiser is what I was getting at. No hurt feeling or ego. I may end up in one at some point when age catches up with me.

I love the 86 for what it is. It’s a poor mans porsche (that’s a stretch) 4C, Elise, etc.

I see the C8 in a different league. High power sports car yet comfortable for the longest trips.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #128
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Lightweight, low power cars built for corners vs a high power GT cruiser is what I was getting at. No hurt feeling or ego. I may end up in one at some point when age catches up with me.

I love the 86 for what it is. It’s a poor mans porsche (that’s a stretch) 4C, Elise, etc.

I see the C8 in a different league. High power sports car yet comfortable for the longest trips.
yeah this GT cruiser category is what I could never get my head around.

I mean these days you can get fast SUVs that can cruise and be powerful and you can also get a 2020 Porsche 911 S that's very powerful and can cruise and can take the corners.

Maybe I need to go educate myself about this "GT" category but I don't get the sense of it at all.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #129
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Good thing you're not picky
We're all picky, we're on a forum of a very low volume sports car when the vast majority of people bought a Corolla and went on to do something else in life like bungee jumping.

and yeah I am particularly more picky than average
Old 08-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #130
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
yeah this GT cruiser category is what I could never get my head around.

I mean these days you can get fast SUVs that can cruise and be powerful and you can also get a 2020 Porsche 911 S that's very powerful and can cruise and can take the corners.

Maybe I need to go educate myself about this "GT" category but I don't get the sense of it at all.
I hear you. It’s more blurred now and the line isn’t written in sand.

To me Grand Touring spells comfort and power. The 86 and others don’t fall into that category.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #131
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GT is definitely blurred now, and the term comes from an age where we didn't quite have all the tech that allows us to blur the lines - i.e. 911 is a great example. It's not a GT, it's a sports car that happens to have a back seat and be comfortable over long trips. Same with the 86. Sports car - it's focused on driving dynamics vs. comfort, although it has both. GT cars are sporty with a focus on comfort and luxury, something like Maserati Granturismo (see the name?) or Lexus LC. All that said, that's just my interpretation FWIW, and really in my eyes applying the term "GT" to modern cars is less meaningful than it was 15 years ago.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #132
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
GT is definitely blurred now, and the term comes from an age where we didn't quite have all the tech that allows us to blur the lines - i.e. 911 is a great example. It's not a GT, it's a sports car that happens to have a back seat and be comfortable over long trips. Same with the 86. Sports car - it's focused on driving dynamics vs. comfort, although it has both. GT cars are sporty with a focus on comfort and luxury, something like Maserati Granturismo (see the name?) or Lexus LC. All that said, that's just my interpretation FWIW, and really in my eyes applying the term "GT" to modern cars is less meaningful than it was 15 years ago.
This comment is what makes sense to me

I mean even the Corvette it's hard to classify even the trim levels. I mean how on earth would the rough riding Z06 ever be considered a GT car. So then Stingray is GT and Z06 is sports car and so on...

I think in this modern age, the Lamborghini Urus is the legitimate GT car.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #133
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
In this day and age a learjet is the ultimate gt vehicle.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #134
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
applying the term "GT" to modern cars is less meaningful than it was 15 years ago.
I'll say!

bfrank1972 (09-02-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #135
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Unfortunately, that thing will smoke an a.t. 86. The kids riding in it will approve of the gt badge. They'll go by with cheezits all over their faces lol

Last edited by Lantanafrs2; 08-30-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
TunaNoCrust (10-18-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #136
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,182 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think in this modern age, the Lamborghini Urus is the brand whoring winner.

Fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #137
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Unfortunately, that thing will smoke an a.t. 86. The kids riding in it will approve of the gt badge. They'll go by with cheezits all over their faces lol
Completely empty except for a driver the Caravan GT can do 7.2. Although technically faster than an AT Twin it would not be in the "smoke" category. That said I have yet to see a minivan that is completely empty. There is usually a pile of stuff in there that would even the playing field in a hurry.
Dadhawk (09-03-2019), rennlistuser3 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #138
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Fixed it.

I thought they always were like that from the get go?

If I had the cash, I'd definitely be in a Lamborghini Huracan though

can't blame them for the Urus, in this modern era, money talks.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #139
rennlistuser3

soooo......

Reports are getting leaked on the testing of the new C8 Corvette Stingrey and it does not look good sad to say.....

Lots of info is coming out right now. There is good news like testers saying it'll hit 0-60 in 2.8 seconds rather than 3. But the bad news is worrying for me.

Among the things that were mentioned was more understeer in the C8 Vs. the C7. I'm going off memory but maximum cornering g was 1.03 for C8 Vs. 1.11 for C7 Stingray. Braking distance is said to be 97 feet which again is not as good as the C7. The steering lacks feedback and the whole cabin feel isolated more so than the C7 let alone cars that give you lots of drama even when driving in city such as Ferrari/Lamborghini. The dual clutch is good but not as good as Porsche PDK and it does leave you wanting for me in city driving. I am personally guessing that it'll be worst off than even a dual clutch found in a VW Golf GTi. And there is no manual option which I'm really loving a lot on my BRZ and not sure I'd want to go without it now. It's among the most fun parts of my BRZ.

Testers also mentioned that brake by wire system in the C8 is not reassuring and that it suffered more brake fade than they would've liked.

Furthermore, now you can spec your C8. I did it for myself and the cost totaled at around 80k USD. This is a far cry from the 60k starting price. You have to pay a lot for things like red calipers (around 600 USD) and grey wheel instead of silver (around 1000 USD).

The car is realistically around 80k rather than 60k just in the same way that most Porsche will cost way more than base price advertised once you spec them decently. I guess now Chevrolet is taking this route. Kudos for them for making more money but not sure if I want to dump 80k on this car now. I compared it to a 911 and it's still way cheaper even with comparable specs (it ended up to be 140k USD for me in 911). The BRZ will give you red brembo brakes and sachs dampers and better wheels for 1200 USD (performance pack), for Corvette they'll paint the wheels for you for about the same money. The C8 has gone upscale but it's still a Chevy so I'm not a fan of this money grabbing attitude and I don't find an excuse for such upcharge. Ferrari gets a lot of heat for doing stuff like this, does Chevrolet think its customer base will not be upset with this attitude?

The C8 Z06 is very heavily rumored to be a 5.5 flat plane V8 that sound crazy glorious judging by the C8R released and hopefully they sort out the car to be more sporty. But for now, I am actually enjoying the BRZ more than I ever did at any point previously with all the skill I gained since I got it and it's a riot everyday I get into it. I'm also getting more and more into racing and loving that a lot and the BRZ does not disappoint there at all. If anything, it's a strong point cause it doesn't cost much to race it and the raw feeling makes it more fun.

Now I'm leaning on passing on the C8 Stingray. It just did not live up to the hype. It is very very good but not great.

Don't ask me for sources, it's scattered all over the internet from what I've been digging into so just take my word for what it's worth. I'm honestly too lazy to go look up all sources.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #140
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
soooo......

Reports are getting leaked on the testing of the new C8 Corvette Stingrey and it does not look good sad to say.....

Lots of info is coming out right now. There is good news like testers saying it'll hit 0-60 in 2.8 seconds rather than 3. But the bad news is worrying for me.

Among the things that were mentioned was more understeer in the C8 Vs. the C7. I'm going off memory but maximum cornering g was 1.03 for C8 Vs. 1.11 for C7 Stingray. Braking distance is said to be 97 feet which again is not as good as the C7. The steering lacks feedback and the whole cabin feel isolated more so than the C7 let alone cars that give you lots of drama even when driving in city such as Ferrari/Lamborghini. The dual clutch is good but not as good as Porsche PDK and it does leave you wanting for me in city driving. I am personally guessing that it'll be worst off than even a dual clutch found in a VW Golf GTi. And there is no manual option which I'm really loving a lot on my BRZ and not sure I'd want to go without it now. It's among the most fun parts of my BRZ.

Testers also mentioned that brake by wire system in the C8 is not reassuring and that it suffered more brake fade than they would've liked.

Furthermore, now you can spec your C8. I did it for myself and the cost totaled at around 80k USD. This is a far cry from the 60k starting price. You have to pay a lot for things like red calipers (around 600 USD) and grey wheel instead of silver (around 1000 USD).

The car is realistically around 80k rather than 60k just in the same way that most Porsche will cost way more than base price advertised once you spec them decently. I guess now Chevrolet is taking this route. Kudos for them for making more money but not sure if I want to dump 80k on this car now. I compared it to a 911 and it's still way cheaper even with comparable specs (it ended up to be 140k USD for me in 911). The BRZ will give you red brembo brakes and sachs dampers and better wheels for 1200 USD (performance pack), for Corvette they'll paint the wheels for you for about the same money. The C8 has gone upscale but it's still a Chevy so I'm not a fan of this money grabbing attitude and I don't find an excuse for such upcharge. Ferrari gets a lot of heat for doing stuff like this, does Chevrolet think its customer base will not be upset with this attitude?

The C8 Z06 is very heavily rumored to be a 5.5 flat plane V8 that sound crazy glorious judging by the C8R released and hopefully they sort out the car to be more sporty. But for now, I am actually enjoying the BRZ more than I ever did at any point previously with all the skill I gained since I got it and it's a riot everyday I get into it. I'm also getting more and more into racing and loving that a lot and the BRZ does not disappoint there at all. If anything, it's a strong point cause it doesn't cost much to race it and the raw feeling makes it more fun.

Now I'm leaning on passing on the C8 Stingray. It just did not live up to the hype. It is very very good but not great.

Don't ask me for sources, it's scattered all over the internet from what I've been digging into so just take my word for what it's worth. I'm honestly too lazy to go look up all sources.

That's actually very contradictive to what I've been reading. Most reviews are saying its great and reminds them of other mid engine offerings (Lamborghini and Ferrari names are thrown around a lot) but with an NA v8 and a budget price. With the price comes the typical Corvette things (interior quality is the main complaint, always) as the car is STILL a corvette at the end of the day. Corvette has always had a pretty decent options list and base model cars are a far cry from the more loaded out versions in price. Chevy has always offered a wide variety of packages and options and trims to fit as many consumers as possible. As far as the transmission....while I'm disappointed that there is not a manual the transmission is made by Tremec, so I'm sure its a balance of cost and quality as well as serviceability. It's been getting great reviews on how it performs.

A great review was done by "The Smoking Tire" just a few days ago, and goes over some of these topics.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2019), Lantanafrs2 (10-18-2019)