follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My audio build - Pic Heavy

I just added my JBL PX300.4 to the stock speakers and it sounds pretty good. Quality is crap (I'm coming from Focal components w/ an Alpine DSP) but it's loud and the distortion is minimal. Compared to stock it's 100x better. But I'm coming from my previous build of a computer with digital audio, an Alpine DSP, Focal components and 2 12" Alpine's in a ported enclosure.

Now I just need some bass in this BRZ (and some new front speakers). I was thinking about fiberglassing a 12" sub (maybe two) in the spare tire well. Once my dynamat gets here I can get started.

I'll keep you all posted.

Name:  amp1.jpg
Views: 12208
Size:  196.2 KB
Name:  amp2.jpg
Views: 10446
Size:  231.2 KB

8/5/2012 - Sound deadening on Doors
Added some sound deadening material to the front doors. They are nice and solid now and the door shuts with a nice thunk ...no rattles. I still have the stock front speakers in the doors and the "dynamat" didn't really help them much (I didn't really expect it to since I didn't "seal" the door). It's incredibly hot outside but next up is the rear deck as that rattles and vibrates incredibly. I might use multiple layers.

Also, I saw some JL Audio 6W3 speakers the other day and I think I'm going to try and fiberglass these into a sealed enclosure in the door. That's the plan, we'll see how it turns out but I don't foresee myself getting started on it until late next week.

Name:  driver door.jpg
Views: 10412
Size:  291.6 KB
Name:  passenger door.jpg
Views: 11475
Size:  316.3 KB

8/7/2012 - Trunk preparation
My Alpine Type R's are too deep - I'll be using the spare tire well but I'll be inverting the subwoofers in the far corners of the trunk rather then mounting the sub directly into the well.

I uploaded some pictures of the sound deadening in the trunk and the preparation of the sub box ...still much more to do

Name:  spare tire well.jpg
Views: 17511
Size:  248.3 KB
Name:  box initial layout.jpg
Views: 9713
Size:  169.8 KB
Name:  corner.jpg
Views: 9544
Size:  153.8 KB

8/8/2012 - Fiberglass frames are ready
I created the fiberglass frames this morning for the subwoofers - cake walk but now I must wait because the weather is horrible today. The plan is still the same - inverting the subs firing down into the corners. But, I was also thinking that I could also (later down the road) put shallow mount subwoofers here and have even more trunk space. Should the need arise it's good to have that option. pics below.

Name:  fiberglass frame 1.jpg
Views: 9119
Size:  164.6 KB
Name:  fiberglass frame 2.jpg
Views: 9088
Size:  165.3 KB
Name:  sub mount 1.jpg
Views: 9361
Size:  175.1 KB
Name:  sub mount 2.jpg
Views: 9174
Size:  179.6 KB

8/9/2012 - First layer of fiberglass
I was able to test fit the frame today and start the first layer of fiberglass. Once this layer cures I can pull it out, clean it up, and layer on some more with it out of the car.

I also put a picture up showing why mounting them straight into the well would not be best. I'd either have to raise the floor (which from the factory is already high) or use some rings and mount the subs on an angle. I think the corners are going to work best. See below for new pics.

Name:  test fit.jpg
Views: 9013
Size:  197.4 KB
Name:  sub location 2.jpg
Views: 9588
Size:  235.8 KB
Name:  sub location 1.jpg
Views: 9142
Size:  260.6 KB
Name:  depth issue.jpg
Views: 8962
Size:  194.6 KB
Name:  1st layer of glass.jpg
Views: 8912
Size:  182.7 KB

8/14/2012 - Sub boxes ALMOST done!
So I finally finished all the fiberglassing. I put about 6 layers on it and finished it by glueing and screwing the top plate on. I still have to mount the L brackets, predrill the sub screw holes, and mount the T-nuts. Once that's all done then the boxes are officially done!!

My JL 6W3s should be here tomorrow and hopefully when the rain lets up I can continue onward.

Name:  1 layer cured.jpg
Views: 8567
Size:  204.9 KB
Name:  6 layers - done.jpg
Views: 8520
Size:  176.5 KB
Name:  glued and screwed.jpg
Views: 8477
Size:  156.1 KB
Name:  almost done.jpg
Views: 8509
Size:  163.3 KB

8/14/2012 - In and pounding
I just had to wire it up and take a listen ...it pounds and sounds fabulous. I took one of those crappy youtube videos.

Name:  boxes in and mounted.jpg
Views: 11064
Size:  171.5 KB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXIVcghJrjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXIVcghJrjw[/ame]

8/22/2012 - JL Audio 6W3s
I actually got them a while ago and snapped some pics. They will fit, but, I'll need to mount them onto the door panel which should actually be very easy. The speaker area of the panel unscrews which will make it easy to manipulate and mount it after the fact.

I've been very busy with work and stuff around the house so no progress, but there's pics of the JL's below

Name:  jl depth.jpg
Views: 8297
Size:  187.0 KB
Name:  jl test fit.jpg
Views: 8646
Size:  197.0 KB

9/21/2012 - Trunk floor done
Been a while - I've been busy with house renovations and haven't had much time to put into working on the car. My recent addition is the completion of the trunk floor. I'm not happy with the amplifier placement. I would've went vertical but I wanted it to be secure and I don't have a welder to whip up a nice metal bracket. Instead, I just wound up putting them flat. I'll build a box to cover them so it's a little cleaner.

Here's the latest pictures of the new trunk:
Name:  floor.jpg
Views: 7840
Size:  73.3 KB
Name:  floor in 1.jpg
Views: 8593
Size:  108.9 KB
Name:  floor in 2.jpg
Views: 9660
Size:  105.3 KB
Name:  left side.jpg
Views: 8284
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  right side.jpg
Views: 7929
Size:  92.5 KB

5/28/2013 - Rear brake light delete - Port hole instead
I removed the rear brake light and instead I am now using a bright LED strip on the top, attached to the headliner. I cut a pretty big hole in the rear deck sheet metal and created a cover plate using thin fabric on a 1/4" frame of wood. It's then attached to the rear deck using nuts and bolts so that it doesn't vibrate off. I tried using velcro and it just flew off when the bass hit. Vibrations are almost completely gone now. Here's some pics:
Name:  Rear Deck Port Hole.jpg
Views: 7859
Size:  170.1 KB
Name:  Rear Deck Port Cover Underneath.jpg
Views: 7239
Size:  165.5 KB
Name:  Rear Deck Port Cover.jpg
Views: 9048
Size:  123.4 KB

Last edited by rmjjensen; 05-28-2013 at 09:21 AM.
rmjjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rmjjensen For This Useful Post:
Auto-Hauss (08-10-2012), Iceblazer (08-16-2013), LeftFootBrake (08-10-2012), Marcoscrdo (04-07-2013), pheoxs (04-08-2013), tripjammer (08-24-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Looks good!.. I am planning out my install as well - been thinking about going with some Focal components or RE Audio components.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
rmjjensen

Also, this car is the EASIEST car I've ever worked on ...period. The headunit comes out with ease, rear quarter panels come right out, and I was able to get 0 gauge wire through the factory grommet RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATTERY! 0 gauge wire without drilling?! Unheard of.

I've been out of the audio game for a long time now. I've heard a lot about Hertz component speakers but I haven't actually heard them. I don't think I'm going to install my Focal's in this car - I might sell them and try to get a nice 3-way component set.

This car is actually difficult to plan out a good sounding stereo but everything is there! Speakers against the front windshield is GREAT! It's the complete opposite of 6x9's in the rear deck ...oh the dreaded 6x9s in the deck - where your stereo imaging is completely lost since they just blare off the rear backlight.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post
Also, this car is the EASIEST car I've ever worked on ...period. The headunit comes out with ease, rear quarter panels come right out, and I was able to get 0 gauge wire through the factory grommet RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATTERY! 0 gauge wire without drilling?! Unheard of.

I've been out of the audio game for a long time now. I've heard a lot about Hertz component speakers but I haven't actually heard them. I don't think I'm going to install my Focal's in this car - I might sell them and try to get a nice 3-way component set.

This car is actually difficult to plan out a good sounding stereo but everything is there! Speakers against the front windshield is GREAT! It's the complete opposite of 6x9's in the rear deck ...oh the dreaded 6x9s in the deck - where your stereo imaging is completely lost since they just blare off the rear backlight.
You are right about this being a hard car to plan out.. It gives you the hint of going with a 3 way, but I have a feeling any decent tweeter will not fit in the factory location. Ive got a spare 5 channel amp laying around that I think I will use for my build.. but I'm not sure if I want to do a set of 2ways and bridge the 4 channels down to 2, or if I want to leave the 4 channels and run some 3.5s up front also. Too many options - im sure any of them will be better than stock.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Speaker wire zip tied to power wire? Um...

Is your power ran straight into the amp or is there a distribution block hidden somewhere?

Did the 0 awg just fall nicely between carpet and frame next to the passenger seat?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
rmjjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
Speaker wire zip tied to power wire? Um...

Is your power ran straight into the amp or is there a distribution block hidden somewhere?

Did the 0 awg just fall nicely between carpet and frame next to the passenger seat?
With the use of "line level converters" on the BRZ the least of my worries is attempting to stop noise. The line level is guaranteed to give unwanted noise. What a bummer that there's no preamp output on this great looking headunit.

There's distribution blocks tucked away near the giant styrofoam under the mat.

The 0 gauge presented no problem - it's running along the bottom corner down the passenger side. I'm still amazed how easy that was.

My sound deadening is arriving today!! I hope not too late so that I can get started on the fun stuff. I should probably just start stripping the whole car right now.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Sweet. I put 25sqft of sound deadener in, another 100sqft just showed up yesterday! (not worried about weight, just chuck the wife out)

I've got a Scosche SLC-4, well the previous version which is identical, and I actually was surprised that there was NO noise from it! My system is completely hiss free until you get to the max volume on the HU, then it's just the smallest amount. I was very impressed with that.

Glad to know 0 gauge works just as well as 4, won't be worried about upgrading now!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
computertech01

Drives: Jetta MK1V
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Might have to make a 2 hour drive so you can install my audio for me.... I've only had bad experiences with best buy installation. I'm definitely going to have to switch out the stock speakers. Do you think any aftermarket amps would fit where the stock one goes? I don't really like attaching the amp to the back of the seat.
computertech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
You are right about this being a hard car to plan out.. It gives you the hint of going with a 3 way, but I have a feeling any decent tweeter will not fit in the factory location. Ive got a spare 5 channel amp laying around that I think I will use for my build.. but I'm not sure if I want to do a set of 2ways and bridge the 4 channels down to 2, or if I want to leave the 4 channels and run some 3.5s up front also. Too many options - im sure any of them will be better than stock.
Morel MT250 fits in the stock location perfectly and sounds amazing.

The Elate or Hybrid Ovation 6 3way fits flawlessly and performs brilliantly in all stock speaker locations.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
rmjjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by computertech01 View Post
Might have to make a 2 hour drive so you can install my audio for me.... I've only had bad experiences with best buy installation. I'm definitely going to have to switch out the stock speakers. Do you think any aftermarket amps would fit where the stock one goes? I don't really like attaching the amp to the back of the seat.
The stock amp is tiny - maybe about 6"x6". I'm not sure what might fit there but I think the new Rockford Fosgate amps are pretty small.

Updated first post with NVX Audio sound deadening on the doors.

I think I finally have a plan for this setup. I'm going to use JL Audio 6W3's in the doors, my focal tweets in the dash and leave the stock midrange (still not sure on that but I think the stock mid will be fine). For bass I'm going to use the spare tire well and fiberglass 2 Alpine 12" Type R's (I might go with just one - not sure) and also incorporate my two JBL amps into the floor - sides of the sub enclosure. I'm a long ways away from this though.

Next up, sound deadening the rear of the car - including that horrible rear deck!

Last edited by rmjjensen; 08-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
computertech01

Drives: Jetta MK1V
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wish you had done a diy write up seeing as you know your stuff. I'm interested in what wiring kit you used and anything else. I'm basically just looking to do what you've done so far so I can be setup for future additions.
computertech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
More pictures if you have already taken , or if you could of where everything is.
I'm also planning the build but this car is just messed up with the speaker layout
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
rmjjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by computertech01 View Post
I wish you had done a diy write up seeing as you know your stuff. I'm interested in what wiring kit you used and anything else. I'm basically just looking to do what you've done so far so I can be setup for future additions.
Not really much to write up - the grommet in the firewall next to the battery is the ideal place to run the power wire. As for amping the speakers, I basically used the wires at the factory amp in the trunk for all the front speakers, and ran new wire to the rear quarter panel speakers. The preamps run all the way up to the headunit and hook up to a preamp I added to the factory head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
More pictures if you have already taken , or if you could of where everything is.
I'm also planning the build but this car is just messed up with the speaker layout
I'll take pictures once I finalize everything. The wiring is just under the mat - it's not pretty but I plan on changing the entire thing - this install was merely to get some better sound.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
rmjjensen

I changed my mind regarding the subwoofer placement. The Alpine Type R's I have are way too deep and would take up too much trunk room if I mounted them in the spare tire well.

Instead, I'll be using the spare tire well as air space and invert the subwoofers into the false floor. Since they're being inverted I'm going to mount them into the far corners of the trunk.

That's the plan!

Also, I officially ordered some JL Audio 6W3's for the doors ...that'll be interesting...

Last edited by rmjjensen; 08-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.