follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #43
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Sales dept does.

Typically the person who actually is supposed to be employed taking care of sales doesn't get paid for any other services the dealer offers. The owner of the dealership typically isnt doing anything for you except collecting their profit, whether sales gets screwed or not. Being in sales most of my life, I am not typically "that guy", the one who buys for $2000 below invoice when everyone else pays waaay more. I deal with people like this from time to time in my business. I always think to myself, maybe these people will suffer a lapse of income like I am when I am working for free. I had a guy recently, not only did I not make a dime, but he was way more work than most people. Of course my employer expects us to deal with this bullshit, I guess THEY are making money. Then, before taking delivery of our product, he went over and above his negotiation and posted a negative comment on Google maps for our head office location, making our marketing dept. pissed and forcing me to give the client an upgrade for a couple hundred more of the companys money in return for him removing the negative comment. What a useless mass of flesh.
I saved my last company over half a million in improving supply chain efficiency and whatever amount in process improvement projects the last 2 years and 9months I was there. I still got paid shitty money they felt I deserved. And my internal customers that I dealt with are the biggest pricks I've seen. If you don't like something about your job, it's time to move on.

There is nothing wrong with customers paying what they feel like paying because that's how trading works. Big manufacturers often time sell "exclusive" products at breakeven to lower their fixed overhead. If a business don't want to do business, just tell customers to eff off.

I do agree sometimes you're wasting too much time on customers just to please them. Whenever I'm a customer, I do enough research. I only ask one question " Do I have your deal?" If not, I move on. No time wasted.
Yardjass (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #44
Dark
Elite Padawan

I'm sorry you have to deal with shitty people, but that's an inherited nature of your job. I have mine as well.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #45
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
... You can buy a Mustang Ecoboost at 4K off MSRP at least here in WA.
That's kind of what I meant. Why would the average driver pick a 86 over the ecoboost when the mustang is more comfortable, faster, and cheaper?

Toyota is going to have a hard time moving the new 86 in my opinion.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #46
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
That's kind of what I meant. Why would the average driver pick a 86 over the ecoboost when the mustang is more comfortable, faster, and cheaper?

Toyota is going to have a hard time moving the new 86 in my opinion.
Yup. Especially with 18 mustang Eco and GT having Magneride suspension. Mustang Ecoboost maybe 800lb heavier, but easy 100lb with single exhaust and driveshafts mod.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #47
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup. Especially with 18 mustang Eco and GT having Magneride suspension. Mustang Ecoboost maybe 800lb heavier, but easy 100lb with single exhaust and driveshafts mod.
Am I the only one here who'll take beauty over power? Mustangs can definitely run, but when the car looks like a potato and everyone and their mother owns one of it, then what's the point?
Old 12-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #48
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I would never have cross shopped a Mustang against a twin.

In fact, the FR-S put me in the market for a second car, something I had never considered previously. I give full kudos to the people that conceived and produced a car that ultimately caused me to spend over $50K that I cannot logically justify.

I had no interest in buying any American muscle cars.

Maybe, now that I look back, once having decided to buy a second car I might have considered a Supra, or maybe an S2000. Alternately, Cayman or Boxster although operating costs might have been prohibitive. Also, kinda like the BMW Z4M hardtop.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #49
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
Am I the only one here who'll take beauty over power? Mustangs can definitely run, but when the car looks like a potato and everyone and their mother owns one of it, then what's the point?
Sure. I would buy Miata RF over Mustang Ecoboost. But I think everyone has different tastes.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #50
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
New 86 looks like a small potato.

Beauty only gets you so far. I think the new version Camaro looks terrible, but it's hard to deny the bang for the buck factor that the car has.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #51
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
New 86 looks like a small potato.

Beauty only gets you so far. I think the new version Camaro looks terrible, but it's hard to deny the bang for the buck factor that the car has.
Yup, new Camaro looks like bad cut bacon, and one 1LE V8 looks a tad better than that, but hell it's still a freaking bacon.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Sure. I would buy Miata RF over Mustang Ecoboost. But I think everyone has different tastes.
Do you get much snow? Do you ever need more room?
If not, I am sure it would be a fun ride. Seems to get better reviews than the Fiat.
For some reason the Fiat has the NC transmission rather than a new design. Perhaps they felt it would be more reliable with the Multiair turbo. I do like the idea of more low rev grunt in the Fiat, plus being a turbo there is probably room for tuning a few additional ponies. The Abarth is worth comparing to the Mazda IMHO.
One issue for me with those cars is they are a terrible bang for the buck in Canada. I'd be hard pressed to buy a mid level equipped unit for $40K out the door even with a few grand off list. I could get a nice lightly used Porsche or BMW roadster for that money. And no matter what, I'd get teased if I drove anything Miata-like. Comments like, "Nice car, does it come in mens?" Only the real car people know.
And lastly, the worst job I have ever had financially was selling Mazda in 89/90. So, if I were to buy from Mazda they'd have to lose money on the transaction with me. I know that sounds bad but their setup made it almost impossible to earn a living.

For me, if I do eventually give away my FR-S, and I do mean give away as I will take a huge beating money wise, I will be getting the new Supra. That is, unless they totally fuck it up.

BTW I sold a new 1990 Miata to a Canadian Olympic medalist, Robert McCall, a bronze winner in 88 couples figure skating. Sadly he passed of AIDS roughly 2 years later in 91.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 12-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #53
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Do you get much snow? Do you ever need more room?
If not, I am sure it would be a fun ride. Seems to get better reviews than the Fiat.
For some reason the Fiat has the NC transmission rather than a new design. Perhaps they felt it would be more reliable with the Multiair turbo. I do like the idea of more low rev grunt in the Fiat, plus being a turbo there is probably room for tuning a few additional ponies. The Abarth is worth comparing to the Mazda IMHO.
One issue for me with those cars is they are a terrible bang for the buck in Canada. I'd be hard pressed to buy a mid level equipped unit for $40K out the door even with a few grand off list. I could get a nice lightly used Porsche or BMW roadster for that money. And no matter what, I'd get teased if I drove anything Miata-like. Comments like, "Nice car, does it come in mens?" Only the real car people know.
And lastly, the worst job I have ever had financially was selling Mazda in 89/90. So, if I were to buy from Mazda they'd have to lose money on the transaction with me. I know that sounds bad but their setup made it almost impossible to earn a living.

For me, if I do eventually give away my FR-S, and I do mean give away as I will take a huge beating money wise, I will be getting the new Supra. That is, unless they totally fuck it up.

BTW I sold a new 1990 Miata to a Canadian Olympic medalist, Robert McCall, a bronze winner in 88 couples figure skating. Sadly he passed of AIDS roughly 2 years later in 91.
WA state isn't bad at all for a Northern State.

ND has transmission issue because the new lightweight tranny couldn't handle the power, they had to beef up the gears for MY17. Even though they "claimed" metallurgy issue, I still believe it's a design flaw.

Mazda know they can't compete in Canada with that kind of price, that's why Canada only gets 120-140 MY17 Miata RF allocations.

I want to get the new Supra as well, but I'll wait for a couple years. After owning 2 first model year cars, I don't think I want to be a guinea pig again.
funwheeldrive (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #54
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:

I want to get the new Supra as well, but I'll wait for a couple years. After owning 2 first model year cars, I don't think I want to be a guinea pig again.
Hmm, never considered that. Both my cars are 1st model year. Zero issues on the WRX aside from factory reflash and the gas door barely opens. The FR-S has only had water in the tails.

Frankly, with so much money sunk into my FR-S, I have no business thinking of selling it. But, I am sure MANY twin owners will strive for the Supra. Toyota knows what they are doing regards to timing product rollout. The Supra could be a great step-up provided the entry model isnt too steep. Time will tell.
Paying for 3 more years university and residence for daughter, plus son's bar mitzvah in 3 1/2 years. I'll probably be driving a Camry!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #55
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
This thread is garbage (a BRZ is NOT an STi stop trying to compare them) but I'll bite on this:

Quote:
I would never have cross shopped a Mustang against a twin.
Not that I would have cross-shopped, but during the time before the new stang's release people were all talk about how much better it would be than an FR-S. Definitely made me take a look. It comes out and reality sets in, it's a bigger car and acts that way.

Personally I would have never been able to take in some of the silly interior design choices they put on the mustang. I like the simple interior in my '13 BRZ.

Last edited by radroach; 12-26-2016 at 10:27 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #56
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post

Personally I would have never been able to take in some of the silly interior design choices they put on the mustang. I like the simple interior in my '13 BRZ.
Agreed. The Challenger and Camaro also have distinctly cheap looking interiors IMHO. They FINALLY sorted out the interior shortfalls in the C7 though.