follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #29
levifig
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I know! That would have been nice to drive my car. It would be a lot better than driving a uhaul for that long. But I've got all my house stuff to bring to. I was originally going to hire a moving company to move my stuff and then drive my car there myself. However I wouldn't have my stuff for about a week and a half and it would cost more. So I decided to rent uhaul and get a trailer for my car.
Same reasons go behind why I decided not to get my car shipped there either.

But you guys have some great suggestions! I can't believe I didn't think of painters tape! I've seen that in auto cross pictures so many times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doing the same myself this coming Monday. To make it worse, U-Haul screwed up my reservation for a 20' and I ended up getting a 26' (for the same cost, but it's freaking huge). I'm a little freaked out about going from daily driving a BRZ to hauling a 26' U-Haul truck and towing my car behind it.

Like you, I decided on that because of the time frames moving companies gave me. On top of that, I accepted a job offer on a tight schedule, which makes it all the more complicated. Leaving Monday from Iowa, hoping to arrive in Maryland on Tuesday (sleeping over as close to destination as possible, hopefully Pittsburg).

I won't have time to get a protection for the car. Reassuring to hear of good experiences. Hoping that the extra girth of the truck and height of the trailer keeps the BRZ pretty safe back there… :X Would love to hear the outcome of your journey!

Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #30
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Help! Car protection for long trailer ride behind a uhaul

I can assure you that my trip was a success! I was worried about the U-Haul kicking up rocks and dirt that would scratch my car. But neither of those things happened at least from what I can tell.

also, I had thought a U-Haul person had to drive my car up onto the trailer. Definitely not true. The guy had my clutch smoking trying to get the damn thing on the trailer before I told him to get the hell out of my car. Definitely do it yourself, which is what I ended up doing before any real damage was done(thank god). Be careful driving it up onto the U-Haul trailer as well. I scrape the bottom of my car in the middle getting it up onto the U-Haul. Getting it off I had several uhaul employees putting wood planks under my front tires to help me clear the gap when I was backing off the U-Haul trailer .

Other than that you should be good! Safe travels 👍
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote