follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #15
2020BRZtS

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS / 2009 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My 2020 BRZ does the same thing but then again every car I've owned in the last 30 years has done it at one time or another. It usually happens before the car has totally warmed up and it feels like you have to give it a little nudge into second gear. There's a little resistance it but it will go into gear.

I don't drive very high-end cars - 2 Celicas, a tC, and now the BRZ and and the second gear cold nudge was always common. It usually goes away after about 15 minutes of driving and I don't think it's too much to worry about.

Over time, you will probably find yourself double clutching into 1st or reverse as your clutch and TOB experience normal wear... again nothing to worry about.

As others have mentioned the platform is a little less refined, and that was intentional. Personally I like the rawness of the car, all the way down to the lack of Jesus handles.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #16
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You guys complaining at 60 degF have it easy; try shifting when it is 0 degF! I had to reverse into parking spots and leave it in 1st, otherwise I'd be waiting 10 min before I could even move. Fortunately, it does get better with age. And after 30,000 miles I switched to Motul, which also helped quite a bit. Then I bought a 2nd car and the issue went away entirely!

Also, it is an excuse to learn how to double-clutch.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #17
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
My 2020 BRZ does the same thing but then again every car I've owned in the last 30 years has done it at one time or another. It usually happens before the car has totally warmed up and it feels like you have to give it a little nudge into second gear. There's a little resistance it but it will go into gear.
My experience differs.
Never before have I had a vehicle that has done this. Again, it's not a serious issue, just...odd? concerning? awkward? Not sure the right word.

I've never had a car that I've had to actively tell myself "okay, don't try to shift into 2nd gear like normal, I have to shift super slow and shove it through that weird resistance"

I'm talking about 20 year old shitboxes I've had. From 1995 Civic, 1994 Nissan hardbody, 2000 Tacoma, 2005 Tacoma (owned the 5spd/4cyl and 6spd/v6), 2003 Jetta, 1997 Boxster, 2004 Focus, etc. All of them over 100k miles with unknown fluid.

All of them have shifted pretty well, and perfectly consistent through each gear and temperature.
Again, not a huge issue, but absolutely something that needs to be updated in year-to-year tweaks.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
I'm on my 2nd brz. The first one I went through about 6 different lots of tranny fluid trying to fix it, endless clutch pedal adjustments, etc. With each it felt better for a short while then back to how it was. My current car I just left stock and it feels no worse than the first car ever did.

These cars just have awkward gearboxes when cold (and sometimes when hot). I have also had no other cars in nearly 30 years of driving stick that pissed me off so much when the gear box is cold, but I've learnt to live with it. It's still my favourite car.
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #19
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
I'm on my 2nd brz. The first one I went through about 6 different lots of tranny fluid trying to fix it, endless clutch pedal adjustments, etc. With each it felt better for a short while then back to how it was. My current car I just left stock and it feels no worse than the first car ever did.

These cars just have awkward gearboxes when cold (and sometimes when hot). I have also had no other cars in nearly 30 years of driving stick that pissed me off so much when the gear box is cold, but I've learnt to live with it. It's still my favourite car.
Oh, and I just set off in 2nd when it's really cold. Makes drifting out of side streets easier too...
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #20
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
yeah 2nd gear can be a bitch in the mornings. And thats here in an area of CA where it doesn't even get to freezing temps. I've found it helps to row through the gears before setting off.
Edelbrock Supercharger
Decep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #21
sukumizu

Drives: 6MT '15 BRZ | '89 240sx (sold...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
yeah 2nd gear can be a bitch in the mornings. And thats here in an area of CA where it doesn't even get to freezing temps. I've found it helps to row through the gears before setting off.

It was pretty bad with the factory transmission fluid, swapped in motul 300 a couple weeks ago and going into first in the morning is even worse. But once it's properly warmed up it's a night and day difference in how much better it feels.