follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Ranran

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
86 Speed Review (edited)

So this is my personal experience with 86speed. (not ft86speedfactory).

Towards end of November, I placed an order for KW Clubsport Coilovers. I didn't get a tracking number or response until i reached out to them.

They claimed these are special order and they're back stocked. Ok i guess. I kept a tab on them to find out when they would ship and towards the end of December they told me to expect 1/15 for a tracking number.

1/15 rolls around and I call them because I didnt get an email and they said they're waiting on KW to ship them. they pin the blame on KW, saying that "they are mean people" and and they are responsible for not sending them. they eventually tell me that they got the shipping info, and KW is shipping them straight to me. I should expect it around late Feburary- mid March.

Two short weeks later they told me they're shipped. (this doesnt match their story of KW shipping directly to me, nor does it match their statement that they're back stocked.) tracking shows it was coming from Nevada and when the box arrives, the packaging is strange and messy. (I would not expect KW to have unorganized packaging.)

I open the box and the coilovers top hats are slanted due to nut lodged in the top. From suggestions of other users on here I get tipped off they're definitely used.
link to that post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=138802&page=2

I'm starting to question the authenticity of their story and where these coilovers actually came from. When I asked for shipping paperwork from KW they brushed it off.

Still, I decided to give them a second chance and I asked for them to replace the broken/used coilovers with new ones and they said they would fix it. The second box comes in worse than the first. same messy organization and the box looks like it was repackaged (no KW logos or anything this time).

instead of opening it right away, I ask them if theyre selling me used or refurbished and they claim they "don't sell used products. EVER."

so i opened the second set they sent me and they seem more used than the first set they sold me... scratches and knicks all around. Marks from tightening nuts and discoloration.

I would advice anyone to stay away from 86Speed. When I had questions on whether they were used or not, where they came from, for authenticity i tried calling them during different times of the day and they never picked my call up. (before things went south with them, I could always get someone to pick up and answer some time during the day. It seems they were ignoring me.) they deny that they sell used but i'll let you guys decide on whether or not they're used.

Links to Pics
1st set of coilovers : https://m.imgur.com/a/DGH73ng
https://imgur.com/a/r64Na3G

2nd set of coilovers: https://imgur.com/a/bIJugHG

Last edited by Ranran; 02-14-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: had to add link to pictures, fixing title
Ranran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
Ranran

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
An update:

86Speed reached out to me and got someone from KW to elevate my suspicions on whether or not they sold used products or if it’s from KW.

KW spokesperson confirmed that they don’t distribute directly to 86speed but to another distribution center that 86speed obtains their coilovers from. And that the condition of coilovers can vary.

I am still going to look else where to obtain the coilovers though.

Edit: I am leaving my original post up so the whole story is there.

Last edited by Ranran; 02-14-2020 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
Ranran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Thanked 1,089 Times in 692 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
The “condition” can vary? Wtf. How is that a sensible reply to someone paying top dollar for a set of coilovers
Old 02-15-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 2,611 Times in 1,470 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
The “condition” can vary? Wtf. How is that a sensible reply to someone paying top dollar for a set of coilovers
It means "we don't condone such actions, but if the middle man does it, like, whatever mannn."

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:26 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags

Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Thanked 1,196 Times in 653 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Seems more like this is a set that was used for a YouTube "Product demo" and you're ending up with it
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 1,695 Times in 920 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Seems more like this is a set that was used for a YouTube "Product demo" and you're ending up with it
That was my initial thought too, but he got two sets looking like this. Looking back at the pictures I am not 100% sure if they have been mounted before, but they do look like they were not properly assembled. The stripped hardware is not something I would be happy to see and the top nut wedge in there like that is just WTF.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Go with Racecomp Engineering, the guys are great and will take care of you. They work directly with the KW factory, my RCE SS1s shipped straight from KW to my door.

Tags
86speed, kwsuspension