follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #99
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I was considering it until the test drive, thats what sold me. I was looking to replace an S2000 that I got rid of a few years back that I regretted parting with. The feel of the BRZ reminded me of an S2000 and the BRZ fixes two things I didn't like about the S2000--the soft top and no back seats. I've had the BRZ for almost a year now and 0 regrets with my decision to purchase.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #100
rxlynn

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The day I went to test drive, I was exiting the parking lot at my work, and realized that the car in front of me was a BRZ. I took that as a sign from above Seriously, I knew when I laid down in bed that night and could not stop smiling every time I thought about the car.
rxlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #101
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Test drive. Bought it right there. The passenger from the dealership was laughing when I slid it around the first corner taking off from the shop. Drove it like a madman. Only later did I find out it was the only pearl white one on the lot that day lol
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #102
crash.1340
BRZ FNG

Drives: 00 Civic LX/CWP or GBS BRZ someday
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am 100% sold on the BRZ. I've been wanting one for awhile especially after test driving about 9 different ones, including the (ewww) FR-S. There is only one thing standing in my way, which is the lack of financial support for a $27000 vehicle, lol. Can't quite afford the payments AND Insurance that will be required for a brand new vehicle.
crash.1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #103
DanDubyah

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Backstory - when our youngest headed off to college, I thought to myself "time to get a fun car...no need for a responsible/kid-lugging sedan for the first time since college". Ran my thoughts by the wife and she immediately said "you deserve it" (LOVE that woman!). I researched the crap out of 'affordable sports coupes' for a couple of months and the BRZ kept popping up high on lists. Then I saw an online advertisement for the 'Series.Blue' and I was hooked...it had the look I wanted at a price I could afford. I had no desire for the more common muscle cars on the 'affordable sports coupe lists' (Mustangs and the like) and the Miata just wasn't appealing to me. So I found a local dealer that had a BRZ WRB S.B en route and asked him to let me know when it arrived. The week before it arrived, we went to a Scion dealer and test-drove an FR-S Monogram, just so I'd have an idea of what it was like to drive a manual again. The Monogram was ok, but the next week when the BRZ S.B arrived and I saw it 'in the flesh', well...

So to answer your question, it was THAT moment in the showroom (and before the other couple looking at it with another salesman had a chance to check with their bank for financing - you snooze you lose!). 4,000 miles in and I'm thrilled.
DanDubyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #104
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I tried with STI but i was out of budget, tried 370z and the cost of maintance
is way to much for it. So i touched the bottom with the twin.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #105
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Can you pinpoint the moment you decided to get a BRZ? I am 99% there but I still have some doubts.

A little backstory.

I had a BMW 325xi. Great car but the maintenance caught up to her it was time to say goodbye. I had just had my 1st son and decided to get a "family" car so I ended up buying a new mazda CX-7... AWD turbo model of course. Not really a drivers car but plenty of room. We have another kid and my wife quits her job, so I take the loss and let her drive the CX-7 while I inherit her 06 nissan altima. Immediately I want to get something else. Started looking at the BRZ but could never find one.

BMW dealer rings me up to inform me they have the M235i in stock and ready for test drives. I go of course. Damn, that is exactly what I want. Holy shit sticker shock. Car was nearly $50k out the door. Way too much for me to swing on a single income.

So I take the mazda in for an oil change and walk over to the subaru lot to see whats up. Plenty of BRZs. I drive one. I really like it. It's not as fast or as luxurious as the BMW but it is nearly half the price and I dare say feels more like a "sports car" than the BMW (I would call it "touring" car). Of course they have a WRX there and I drive that too. It was faster, 5 doors way more practical, but it just didn't have that feel.

Basically I am 100% emotionally sold on the BRZ but something in my head is telling me no, you need more space, more power... or you should just keep driving the altima till the wheels fall off, wife is back at work and you can buy yourself the BMW you really want.

Am I the only one having arguments with themselves about this car? Did you take a long time deliberating the pros and cons or just lay down your cash the day they rolled off the boat?

Sorry for the stupid thread I find sometimes typing stuff out and letting other people tear it to shreds helps my thought process.

I was ready to sign the papers last week but we just had another round of snow ice and I am going out of town so I decided to wait till I got back to decide. If there is one thing I am good at its procrastinating.
Any update from your side?

Btw, nothing wrong with waiting it out until a better time... Always good to play it safe, especially for the family's sake.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #106
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had originally been considering a used S2k - but they were too expensive for the age and not practical enough for me.

I hadn't been following the FT86 very closely, but ended up considering the BRZ (wanted to negotiate) and Accord coupe. I considered the BRZ a newer, more practical S2000 while the Accord was the "sane person" choice. When I visited the dealer, sat in the backseat myself and folded to rear seat down to check for cargo room I knew this car was just practical enough.

Once I test drove it I knew that not much else really had any chance of getting my money. There was no getting used to this car. It fit me like a glove immediately.

Flurries started as I signed the papers a few days later and I had the biggest nervous grin on my face as I drove it about 180 km to my apartment in Halifax on stock tires.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #107
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
The day my FR-S arrived at the dealership, I first spent the morning test-driving a Porsche Cayman S. That was the other car I was considering, and I drove it for 2 hrs in every environment I could (backroads, highway, city). I walked away liking the Porsche a lot, then headed over to the Scion dealership.

The first drive in the FR-S, I knew right then and there. I turned and looked at my wife, and she was like, why are you smiling at me like that? It wasn't so much that the FR-S was better than the Cayman S, but rather how impressive it was for the money in comparison. I bought the car on the spot and haven't looked back since.
This essentially sums it up for me as well. I never loved my Lexus and was looking to get rid of it for something fun and had been considering 997s and 987 Caymans. Tested a 911 cab that I loved and they offered at a great price, but I didn't want a convertible. Started looking at Caymans and nearly pulled the trigger on a black 2007 Cayman S. Just couldn't bring myself to sink that much cash in a nearly eight year old Porsche.

Moved away from the Porsche's and looked at Mustangs, thinking the power would be intoxicating. Nope, the interior and handling were just not what I was looking for... 370Z? Tested one of those awhile back and hated the clutch, felt artificial to me. Camaro, Gen Coupe? Didn't even consider them.

Starting to feel as if I would need to save for a new or CPO Porsche, I stopped by the Subaru dealer on a whim. I knew about the twins, but never had driven one and have seen very few. Tested a brand new '15 model and knew very quickly what DarkSunrise mentioned above. This was nearly as much fun as the Cayman S at a fraction of the price. It's a damn good value for fun.

A couple weeks later, I had my new BRZ!

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #108
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
i had been keeping tabs with the brz since its release while holding off for the rumors of a turbo made true.

midlife crisis much: i had been doing a bit of reading about bikes, buying my time and saving my money. so i had the bright idea before i bought a bike i'd go drive a few cars to confirm my leaning towards a bike and not update my 4 wheel ride. i finally was able to get a slot for the basic rider course that matched with a free weekend of mine. the following monday i marched down the the DMV to go take the test & receive my endorsement. ironically the local honda dealer (the new CBR500 platform) was closed on monday. since i took the day off I decided to swing by the local subaru dealer who had no new on the lot with only one used that was off on a test drive, that customer eventually bought that car, so i was only able to drive it around the back of the dealer lot in first gear. waited a week was able to find a low miles used 14 available. i didnt even consider a new 15 because i didnt want to do the dance with the dealer over numbers. the brz was at the top of the list followed by possibility for a Z, stang, maro, genesis- the typical sporty type cars available. spent a little time with the brz and enjoyed the drive so much i decided to delay the bike for a bit longer, if ever. never drove any of the other cars on my list thinking they could never reach this much fun out of the box. coming from a 4cyl 6mt TSX i assumed power and acceleration would be similar but handling and driver feedback sealed the deal for me.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #109
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It was back in the summer of 2012. I was still studying in University at that time and took a trip with the GF and two of our friends to Montreal (we are from Toronto). We were walking downtown and there it was. A BRZ just cruising down the street. Oh my, the sun was setting, so it was also probably during the golden minutes that the best possible natural lighting could occur. I fell in love. It's a bit hazy, but I do remember the feeling.

I asked my buddy what car was that, he said BRZ. Naturally, I never heard of it, but man, was it SEXY! Then not five minutes later another twin had arrived. Ever since then, I've seen few of them but I was set that once I graduated and landed a stable, well paying job, that I would purchase this lovely vehicle... and that I did.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #110
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
The deal closed when the saleswoman had sex in it. ☺
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #111
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
The deal closed when the saleswoman had sex in it. ☺
Ewwwww, with someone else? That's nasty.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #112
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
I didn't say it was or wasn't with someone else.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote