follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #463
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I would say it is hard to give a fair comparison as the FRS felt ligther in the corner with a much sharper turn in but the grip levels on the HPs hinder it when comparing to the 302 cause I felt way more confident that the tires would hold the speed better. I was just shocked at how stable the car was when doing quick transitions. I feel the FRS rear end wants to come around a bit too easily without TC on however I'm a novice so my driving isn't pretty meh
Got it, thanks. I've driven a Mustang GT track pack on the road and wasn't too impressed with the subjective handling or feel. I hear people say the Boss 302 (or Mustang GT w/handling mods) feels much lighter on its feet, so I was curious to hear what you thought as a fellow FR-S owner who's driven both on the track.

From what you're saying, I guess a Boss 302 won't ever feel as light as an FR-S or turn in as sharply, but is less prone to oversteer. That was sort of what I was expecting to hear. From what I can tell, Mustangs are actually pretty reliable track cars. Just wish Ford could keep the powertrain, but cut the overall weight by about 500 lbs. I think that would be enough for me to get one.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #464
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Got it, thanks. I've driven a Mustang GT track pack on the road and wasn't too impressed with the subjective handling or feel. I hear people say the Boss 302 (or Mustang GT w/handling mods) feels much lighter on its feet, so I was curious to hear what you thought as a fellow FR-S owner who's driven both on the track.

From what you're saying, I guess a Boss 302 won't ever feel as light as an FR-S or turn in as sharply, but is less prone to oversteer. That was sort of what I was expecting to hear. From what I can tell, Mustangs are actually pretty reliable track cars. Just wish Ford could keep the powertrain, but cut the overall weight by about 500 lbs. I think that would be enough for me to get one.
Having both Track Pack and Laguna Seca suspension under my car, I can tell you that the Track Pack shocks are way too soft, especially rear rebound. The car would nosedive like crazy when you got hard on the brakes. Not fun in most situations However, the car would come together when pushed harder through some corners. You could develop a rhythm with the body movement. The LS suspension is a whole different world. It's stiff and tight and the turn in is good and the car just seems more controlled but at the same time, more animated. I switch between having the shocks cranked all the way up (which is awful over these NY roads right now. Thanks winter) and having them set to 2 all around for a great balance of control and comfort. However, even turned down the car is infinitely more controlled than with the stock suspension.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #465
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
its almost exactly how people try to compare a scion to a cayman though. which happens constantly here without much counterpoint
Most people here compare it to the Cayman - but not favourably.
I think most 86 owners will readily admit that, given the choice (and without the practicality issues), the Cayman would be their pick.
The point of the comparison is that Toyota/Subaru have taken a relatively inexpensive car, and imbued it with driving feel which is in the spirit (if not the same league) as the more expensive, midengined Cayman.

At least I don't think very many people are saying that the FRS > Cayman....
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #466
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Having both Track Pack and Laguna Seca suspension under my car, I can tell you that the Track Pack shocks are way too soft, especially rear rebound. The car would nosedive like crazy when you got hard on the brakes. Not fun in most situations However, the car would come together when pushed harder through some corners. You could develop a rhythm with the body movement. The LS suspension is a whole different world. It's stiff and tight and the turn in is good and the car just seems more controlled but at the same time, more animated. I switch between having the shocks cranked all the way up (which is awful over these NY roads right now. Thanks winter) and having them set to 2 all around for a great balance of control and comfort. However, even turned down the car is infinitely more controlled than with the stock suspension.
Great, that is very helpful information. Is there a specific car you would say the Mustang w/LS suspension feels similar to on the track?

Also how much did the LS suspension set you back, and is there a comparable aftermarket option (like Roush or Ford performance?) Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #467
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Great, that is very helpful information. Is there a specific car you would say the Mustang w/LS suspension feels similar to on the track?

Also how much did the LS suspension set you back, and is there a comparable aftermarket option (like Roush or Ford performance?) Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
I can't compare it to anything I've driven in a while. However, I got the shocks and springs as takeoffs for 500 bucks. Tbh, the ford racing shocks and koni yellows are better shocks. Most people pair then with ford racing springs or steedas. When these shocks are done I'm going to do yellows with boss springs. The boss springs are linear, the frpp springs are not. Also, I don't want to go any lower. The rear sway bar was like 80 bucks. It improves the turn in, but eventually I'm going to swap them both for stiffer bars.
The Following User Says Thank You to LSxJunkie For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #468
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
I can't compare it to anything I've driven in a while. However, I got the shocks and springs as takeoffs for 500 bucks. Tbh, the ford racing shocks and koni yellows are better shocks. Most people pair then with ford racing springs or steedas. When these shocks are done I'm going to do yellows with boss springs. The boss springs are linear, the frpp springs are not. Also, I don't want to go any lower. The rear sway bar was like 80 bucks. It improves the turn in, but eventually I'm going to swap them both for stiffer bars.
Thanks. I might replace my 350z with a Mustang GT, hence the questions.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #469
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Most people here compare it to the Cayman - but not favourably.
I think most 86 owners will readily admit that, given the choice (and without the practicality issues), the Cayman would be their pick.
The point of the comparison is that Toyota/Subaru have taken a relatively inexpensive car, and imbued it with driving feel which is in the spirit (if not the same league) as the more expensive, midengined Cayman.

At least I don't think very many people are saying that the FRS > Cayman....
well i think a lot is lost in translation. someone on this forum saying that the mustang forum thinks their car is better than the m3 is probably just as likely a conclusion as someone telling them about how we rave about our car because of that comparison. i just guess its worth mentioning that nobody here is actually saying the mustang is better than the m3 so here we are criticizing people for opinions we are projecting upon them.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #470
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
well i think a lot is lost in translation. someone on this forum saying that the mustang forum thinks their car is better than the m3 is probably just as likely a conclusion as someone telling them about how we rave about our car because of that comparison. i just guess its worth mentioning that nobody here is actually saying the mustang is better than the m3 so here we are criticizing people for opinions we are projecting upon them.
I'm an active vendor on 7 Mustang forums, and I can tell you from experience that some members on those forums are 100% convinced the Mustang is a better car overall. Like you said, nobody else on here believes that to be the case from my understanding

I think 86 owners are happy with their cars because of the handling and don't need to make comparisons to justify their purchase.

But yes, it is a shame that a few owners can create a stereotype.

Our FR-S is a blast to drive IMO, I'd take that on a road course over my 2007 Mustang GT because of the driving dynamics.

My mustang feels like a boat after driving my S14 or our FR-S

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #471
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I'm an active vendor on 7 Mustang forums, and I can tell you from experience that some members on those forums are 100% convinced the Mustang is a better car overall. Like you said, nobody else on here believes that to be the case from my understanding

I think 86 owners are happy with their cars because of the handling and don't need to make comparisons to justify their purchase.

But yes, it is a shame that a few owners can create a stereotype.

Our FR-S is a blast to drive IMO, I'd take that on a road course over my 2007 Mustang GT because of the driving dynamics.

My mustang feels like a boat after driving my S14 or our FR-S

Nick C.
there is a thread here where someone believed the frs is a better car than the 458 because the trd race car went around tsukuba a tenth of a second faster
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #472
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Haha well, everyone's an expert on the internet

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #473
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

If you want to make your Mustang very good, spend 5k at Cortex.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOS1Clt6KQ"]Muscle Evolved: Modding a Mustang GT - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #474
jdrxb9

Drives: ND2, formerly BRZ (MT/CBS)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Prices

Well, sticker prices are out and all over the web - mustang6g.com is one good source I've seen.

Basically, MSRP for the 2.3 Ecoboost is just under $30k with the performance pack and Recaro's. ~$37k for the GT with similar options.

Unfortunately, still no other specs (like weight).

Personally, while the <$30k number is good, the car is just too big to be very temping to me. I do hope it provides a price 'cap' of sorts for the twins as later, hopefully improved, models get rolled out.
jdrxb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #475
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrxb9 View Post
Personally, while the <$30k number is good, the car is just too big to be very temping to me. I do hope it provides a price 'cap' of sorts for the twins as later, hopefully improved, models get rolled out.
While heavier than an FRS, it's weight is still inline with most other sports cars out there. I for one wouldn't really complain about a bigger trunk/back seat. She'll be faster than an FRS for sure.

IRS and a light engine up front are good things, we'll just have to see how she dances.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #476
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
While heavier than an FRS, it's weight is still inline with most other sports cars out there.

3,500 lbs isn't really a sports car is it? With the current test ride reviews journalists are basically saying the ecoboost feels the same as the outgoing V6, maybe a bit better suspension and road holding, for a car that runs close to $1k more than the '15 FRS and with the bottom of the barrel V6 only about $500 cheaper I think the Toyobaru will not take as big a hit on sales as detractors estimated.

Here's the leaked prices:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...ing-1829.html?

Honestly not bad considering how much effort seems to have been put forth but it still seems to be in a different league than the Toyobaru, not as different as what was originally promised.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, couldhavehadav8, ecoboost, ford, mustang