follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
avusblue

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Manual, Argento
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've got Nitto SN2 winter tires, size 205-55-16, on OEM Subaru Impreza WRX rims. The car works beautifully in the snow with them. Good traction and great feel and handling. It's a blast to drive! With a fresh layer of snow on the ground, if I want I can be my own personal drift king. While still maintaining safe control. These tires are a little "squishy" feeling on dry pavement at high speed, and they are definitely louder at speed as well. But overall they are a good balanced trade-off, they were inexpensive, and certainly are better than parking the car and not enjoying it all winter.

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avusblue For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (01-23-2016)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I bought Federal Tire Himalayas (205/55/16) for under $100 each. Dirt cheap and they are performing as expected - cheap.

I haven't driven on my summers yet, and this is my first experience with RWD in the winter, but I will say that I've never experienced so little traction on a car ever. I've driven cars with bald tires that have just as much traction on the road, and the C6 (436hp, 3200lbs, but 285 rear tires) I had before hugged the road far better. Even on dry pavement I will get the tail out with this car easily once I'm above 4000rpm. I think they are likely terrible tires in general, but they seem to do their job in the snow. I had one go on a long driveway (about 150 yds) where there was 6 inches of snow, and a nice drift where it was closer to a foot deep, and I plowed through it without issue.

They are studdable as well, if you live in an area where that's legal, and in those cases the studs probably do most of the work anyways.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post

Dude, don't store your OEM tires standing up like that, you will get a flat spot on the tire. They should be laying down, stacked up.

I got the Blizzak WS70's and they are pretty damn good, really happy with the performance so far in some pretty grim winter conditions!
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Dude, don't store your OEM tires standing up like that, you will get a flat spot on the tire. They should be laying down, stacked up.

I got the Blizzak WS70's and they are pretty damn good, really happy with the performance so far in some pretty grim winter conditions!
Today's tires aren't prone to permanent lat spotting like older tires. I park my STI on its summer tires over the winter and when they come up to temp in the summer the flat spots go away. Resting tires like that without a car's weight on them won't hurt them in the least.

Back OT: I have the Dunlop WinterSport M3 tires on my BRZ (I wanted the 3Ds but they aren't available in our size. The M3s have great sidewalls and match well with the BRZ. Highway driving is sure-footed and reliable with a surprising minimum of "grab" from slush. Highly recommended for moderate to heavy snow where studs aren't neccessary.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Slick (02-02-2016)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
MI FR-S

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Michelin X-Ice ii
205/55R-16

on 16" steelies from Tire Rack.

What I Like:
Increased sidewall and softer compound is a lot nicer to ride in the cold than the stock summers. Don't seem any louder than the stock tires. Doesn't seem like fuel efficiency has changed any. Were fairly cheap.

The Grip:

In the cold and wet they seem pretty grippy. No aquaplaning as yet, back end only comes out when I'm trying to make it do so.

In the snow they seem mediocre. There is slipping but the traction control keeps the car pointing in the right direction and I don't feel in danger of losing control unless I was driving like a complete idiot. I did become briefly stuck when backing out onto the road (3 inches of snow) but I only had to reverse another foot to become unstuck.

Conclusion:
They seem okay. I think they trade some of their snow ability to maintain low rolling resistance and quietness. If you want the grippiest snow tires out there, you can probably do better.
MI FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
ib

Drives: FR-S Lava, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Same tire here but of the 16" variety on steelies.

In the first few hundred miles, the car was a bit wobbly and the tires were loud.
Now it's pretty much a quiet and comfortable ride. After the break-in, I don't recall a situation where I'd feel the car getting out of control me. Car stays planted but feels slower which is right. No snow yet but I've driven in the rain and on dry roads in both low and medium temperatures. I don't drive hard in the corners though. Rather be safe than sorry.
That's good to hear. I just put Generals on, and I've noticed that they break free really easily on dry pavement. Nothing dangerous yet, but I'm glad they'll improve.
ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #21
Frsjai

Drives: 2013 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Hankook iCept Evo

205/55/16 on steelies

will keep review short since still no snow in TO

but the coldER weather and constant rain seem no match for this tire. In some regards i am willing to say that they are BETTER than the OEM tires that i've driven on up until the last week of November.

affordable and relatively quiet, i would highly recommend.

will add more once snow gets here, if ever.
I'm running the same tires with exact same specs. However, I find that there's less grip in the rain compared to the stock tires. Is this normal? Or does the tire need some time to settle in?
Frsjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Nokia hakkipellita 7 studded
195/55 r16
Calgary ab

Absolutely love these tires in the snow and ice, they are unstoppable. Have drove an 2011sti , 2009wrx and 2004rx8 in the same winter conditions all with snow tires. Wrx and sti obviously much better in acceleration from a stop but nothing compares to the stopping and control these tires give to the FRS. Rx8 does not compare to the FRS in any regard, rx8 had pirelli sotto something.

Downside:
Cost 220 a tire
Grip and stopping is reduced on pavement(sometimes more than you may think).

This year has been quite warm in Calgary and as a result we have had very good road conditions.

All I know is that with these tires fitted to my car I was 100 percent confident when the conditions were at there worst. When conditions were good(dry pavement) you have to be cautious with emergency stopping situations. Don't get me wrong its not like you are on ice but if everyone on the highway all of a sudden starts slamming on there brakes you better be ready to also.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Tire: Bridgestone Blizzaks
Size: 235/45/17 on stock rims
Driver: I've had e46 M3's, Mini Coopers, 911's, Land Rovers and a shelby cobra that ended up in a tree. So i am pretty use to FF, FR, RR, and AWD cars.

Bridgestones

I got the blizzaks off craigslist and there were only used for one year. These tires so far have done absolutely amazing. I think its partly also due to the good limited slip but regardless the tires are great. Ive taken it out in pretty bad michigan winter conditions and the only time i got stuck was pulling out of my garage when it got high centered and i knew it was going to get stuck anyway. But other than that, cant complain about the braking or grip. Actually as far as grip goes, when its wet...it isnt perfect and it definitely feels...more squishy than the stock tires. Overall, for a winter tire...pretty happy.
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
Myv (06-12-2013), RavioliG (11-30-2015)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #24
the_avatar

Drives: GT86
Tire: Yokohama W.drive
Size: 215/45/17 on stock rims
Driver: All Toyotas for 12 years, this being first RWD

I like the Yokohamas, very good grip on dry and cold surfaces, slush terrain naturally harder but still manageable with a calm steering wheel and foot, not to say well manageable. Already had an almost crash at around 200km/h with VSC Sport enabled, tires didnt even lose grip when having to swerve towards the railing on the left and swerving back into lane... very nice grip!
On steeper slopes they couldnt really do much, but mostly due to the lack of weigth on the rear axis and ice under the snow. Still made it with alot of effort, though

All in all, very very good winter tires for the GT86!
the_avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
RazBRZ
Cones are bad

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Garage
Tire: Nokia hakkipellita 7 studded
Size: 205/55/16 Steel rims
Driver: First RWD car. I drive 22 wheel gas tankers and started ice racing this year.
Pros:
As stated above be Fenton, the tires are unstoppable. I was not passed be a single car all winter. 70-75 on a snow packed highway without so much as a twitch. I drove in storms with traction control of without spinning the tires unless I wanted to. Tons of grip on the ice for racing (very hard to put the power down though) and I could drift with barely any effort. This car is the best car I have ever driven in winter with these tires. They held up very well and I only lost a few studs do to racing
Cons:
Dry pavement performance... well if you want to have fun at least without ripping out studs. There does seem to be some lack of grip but nothing to be concerned about. Just like proper snow driving, know your cars limits and don't be stupid.
Conclusion: Having taken off my winter tires thinking winter was over and then being hit by a storm. The stock Michelin's are a death trap and should be avoided at all cost.
Areas with high amounts of snow fall go with the Hakka's.
Areas with light to moderate snow go with Bridgestone Blizzak ws70's (Our unstudded ice racing tire which I used on my previous car)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone else tried like a wider tire on stock rims, 235/45R17, will there be too much danger doing this?
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
JSUB

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB 6MT Sport Tech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myv View Post
Anyone else tried like a wider tire on stock rims, 235/45R17, will there be too much danger doing this?
Why would you do this anyway? For the look only I guess because in deep snow or slush you'll float and loose traction big time. Spare the good look for summer time and play it safe in winter I say.

I run 205/50/17 Hakka 7's and they were prerry awesome in the snow but too soft sidewalls hurting transitional performance (nothing's perfect with winter tires).

Hope this helps,

:happy0180:
JSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSUB For This Useful Post:
Myv (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUB View Post
Why would you do this anyway? For the look only I guess because in deep snow or slush you'll float and loose traction big time. Spare the good look for summer time and play it safe in winter I say.

I run 205/50/17 Hakka 7's and they were prerry awesome in the snow but too soft sidewalls hurting transitional performance (nothing's perfect with winter tires).

Hope this helps,

:happy0180:
Thanks I did end up buying 205/50/17s, the only reason I asked was there is a special price on the tires. But only managed to snag 2, while the 235/45/17 had more left, $79.95/ea Hankook i*cept evo for 205/50/17s, and $129.95 for the 235/45/17 at tiretrend. I'll have to buy another 2 off somewhere else when it's on sale
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote